Standing Task Commando Royal Marines

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fishflakes, Aug 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    On the Royal Navy page on 45 Commando:
    45 Commando | Royal Navy
    it says that "...45 Cdo have assumed the role of the Standing Task Commando as part of 3 Cdo Bde RM". As 42 Commando are the lead commando group at the moment, I assume this isn't just another way of saying lead commando group.

Having googled "Standing Task Commando" using quotation marks, the only page that turns up is the Royal Navy page, which means it's probably the only page on the internet with this terminology (I've also searched the forum-nothing)- which then begs the question, what is the Standing Task Commando? Could anyone shed any light on it?

2. It means they're on "shit detail duty". When ever 42 (or brigade as a whole) needed an "enemy" during exercises, it was 45 that provided the troops. When ever 42 had man power gap issues, it was 45 that provided the troops.

Can you can see where I'm going with this? They will be lead commando next year, so they will be ramping up getting ready to take over 42 soon.