Standard issue kit size

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by left_handed_sailor, Aug 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alternative name for thread is "lets have a giggle about how much of a mutant L_H_S is"

A question for probably those pussers out there - what is the largest sizes stores hold as standard? I'm joining in less than 3 weeks and I've got to fill in my self measurements form - I'm currently wondering if they'll have anything in stores that's my size.

Shoes: Size 14
    Chest: 46"
    Waist: 40"
    Inside Leg: 35"

Apart from the obvious "Plenty of stuff in the Victory flag locker" can anyone shed any light?

Anticipating plenty of urine take, but if someone could give me a proper in amongst the banter I'd be greatfully appreciative.
  2. Shouldn't be a problem several guys were of similar proportions though not quite so freakish :p and they all got kit.

You might have fun with your ABLE kit though as things like the Bergans are "one size fits all" Sleeping bag will also be a real pain to pack.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That's strange, it seems I (5' 8", size 8 shoes, 30" waist) was issued your very kit 26 years ago!
  4. Have you 'grown into it' yet?
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Absolutely, I work in Billy Smarts' Circus now with the bearded lady.

6. hi
    they will get it in for you, one of they guys on my course has size 16 feet! and they have catered for him!
  7. It won't be a problem, there are plenty of big matelots, I know at least 3 over 6'7" including two idiots who volunteered for submarines.
    46" Chest and 40" waist is no problem as I'm over that size and I've had just about every uniform pusser issues off the shelf including deserts and flying overalls, mind you I've only got a 30" inside leg.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Marvo, the Midget Muscle Man! Is that really you Father?
  9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

There was a New Entry at FLying Fox a number of years ago who tended towards the larger sizes; stores managed everything but the beret - picture his face on division one eventing when the POSA turned up with a black pussers bucket complete with beret badge glued in place :)
  10. There was a JRO in the G Spot many, many years ago (when Uncle Albert joined actually) with size 14 feet... at the age of 15!!! He went on to excel in his Duke of Edinburgh Award. In fact I have a Crown Copyright photo of him.... somewhere.... Mind you he didn't have a size 40" waist!
  11. I would have you know that with a large head comes a large brain standard issue for us large headed amongst us.

Only one on parade for yonks wearing a blue beret no cap head to large and had to search high and low for one to fit.

It was the same when I took up horse riding guy came out with a bucket after trying on all caps.
  12. When are you joining?
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

1. Hmm, if you're female then there is no problem; plenty of Wrens with those dimensions in the Mob, to my knowledge..!

2. Failing that, get the Buffer to knock something up out of some old sailcloth and awnings...

3. Seriously, the RN has an obligation (as an employer) to provide you with the appropriate and correct uniform. My advice would be to look after it for as long as possible because when you need to change it at Stores, they may not have your sizes in stock at that time, and may need some notice to order your sizes. (To that end, buy/obtain extra kit in your size and store it at home, just in case).

4. Finally you can pretty much guarentee to be No. 1 Marker in a guard/platoon..! :lol:
  14. Thats put my mind at rest!

I thought being 36" waist and 43" chest was a weird combination!
  15. [/quote]

4. Finally you can pretty much guarentee to be No. 1 Marker in a guard/platoon..! :lol:[/quote]

And my marching pace is twice the distance of your average person who's 5ft 6 - I'm going to have some fun with some WAFUs!
  16. I wonder... If I was 6'7 would I still be 'Fatblokewithglasses'?

Come to think of it

I would be fattallblokewithglasses
  17. Anyway what's all this talk about different Pusser sizes? I thought that you were all issued with kit at least THREE sizes too big, so you'd grow (outwards ;) ) into your kit!
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Mae West would have disagreed.

The RN uniform clothing stores organisation may however agree.
  19. 4. Finally you can pretty much guarentee to be No. 1 Marker in a guard/platoon..! :lol:[/quote]

And my marching pace is twice the distance of your average person who's 5ft 6 - I'm going to have some fun with some WAFUs![/quote]

Why WAFU's? We're as tall as everyone else (and twice as smart!) :afro:
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Indeed you are Napoleon, indeed you are.