STANAVFORLANT '89 Reunion in 2009

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Flemish_American, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It has been my dream to have a 20-year reunion bringing not only the sailors from my ship, the USS Mahan DDG-42, but sailors from all the ships that participated in STANAVFORLANT while we were part of the fleet. According to my buddy, Senior Chief Harbour Pilot John Dupee (USN-ret.), the following ships were represented: The main fleet of ships consisted of: HNLMS Witte de Witte (F813) / The Netherlands, NRP Commandante Roberto Ivens (F482) / Portugal, HMCS Saguenay (DDH206) / Canada, HMS Edinborough (D97), FGS Emden (F210) / Germany; Flagship COMSTANAVFORLANT. There were others present periodically: HMCS Beaver (decom), HMS Boxer (F92), FGS Rheinland-Pfalz (F209), BNS Wielingen (F910), KNM Narvik (F304) / Norway, and a couple Danish Fast Patrol Boats.

If anyone knows how I can start getting in touch with the Edinborough's sailors from that period, I would be grateful for the assistance.

2. Blimey, I think I might've been on the Edinburgh then doing my SSMEM seatime!
    Amsterdam? Big demonstrations there?

You best bet mate would be to contact NavyNews to place an ad in the reunions bit :)

http://www.navynews.co.uk/reunions.asp

Wont cost anything, just email details as stated :)

Oh and Welcome to RumRation!!

3. I was on the Edinburgh during that trip. Got one of the Yanks in the mess during a cross pol and got him trollied on special Vat. Obviously we told him that it was just apple juice. He was a huge black guy called Messie. I do remember being in Copenhagen when one of our ship mates overheard a conversation about someone attacking the Edinburgh when alongside. End result. Whole ships company recalled back onboard and a bus load of Yanks with M16 gaurding the jetty. What fun.

4. I was down 3Sierra then :)

Managed to do a months wages AND go £150 overdrawn during that 3 days alongside Amsters.
    Can't remember what I told the missus :oops: :oops: :roll:

5. Was in 2SP with the Stewards and SA's. Went overdrawn in Amsters. Bank Manager/POWTR not happy. Bounced Cheques are wonderfull. Oslo was good as well when Greenpeace tried to stop us coming alongside. Went all the way to Norway and trapped a chick from Manchester.!!!!

6. Glad to see some of you are finding this. Hope you'll contact me and check my site out on MySpace.

I am looking for about 3 or 4 shipmates from each vessel to work on networking and informing their mates of our plans and to look into travel packages for their group. Anyone willing and able to do this or even help with the planning of the event itself is welcome to contact me.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.