St Georges DAy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Maxi_77, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A very happy St Georges day to all our southern Britain members.

2. And what have our Geordies and Scousers etcetera done to you Maxi? :cry:
    it's their day as well, perhaps you can be forgiven for the Scousers though, after all Liverpool is the capital of Ireland :p

3. But you forget Slim Northern Briatain was the name gioven to Scotland by the English when they tried to destroy our heritage, thus Sourthern Briatain must be England, so I did include the Geordies and Scouisers, nice shaps that they are. To us south starts about the Tweed.

4. This Geordie will be having a few pints after a full English breakfast , an all day session lies ahead , god speed ........

5. What are the options for a few beers tonight? I usually drink Fosters but that's obviously an Aussie tipple, so what can I drink that's English? All I can think of so far is Carling, but that's absolute gash so I could do with an alternative.

6. This, of course (link):

[​IMG]

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Any of the numerous good quality ciders that our country produces that cannot be matched anywhere else in the world.

8. £27 a case?! Fcuk that, I'll choke down some Carling! As for the comment regarding Cider, the local pubs around my way only tend to stock the likes of Magners (Irish) and Bulmers (No idea where it originates), neither of which I consider to be a proper cider at all so its gonna have to be beer or nowt.

9. tiddlyoggy

Bulmers is from the West Country. Is there no draught Strongbow or Blackthorn at least? Not the best, but English.

10. Plenty of pointy headed Ales :D Skinner's Brewery also do a lager as well.

For cider I recommend Rattler. It's good snizzle!

http://www.rattlercider.co.uk/

11. tiddlyoggy

Tommo,
    Rattlers good, but I've never seen it outside of Cornwall in a pub, and very few off licenses either.

12. JD Wetherspoon (I know there's been varied press lately) has a real ale festival on in its' pubs 15 Apr to 04 May. There's normally some good English brews in there.

13. We do have the usual suspects such as Strongbow but that's not a 'real' cider, and in my opinion tastes like p1ss. I think Bulmers is the best bet if it has to be cider, its better than Carling and all other ciders that are easily available.

14. Duly noted, we have a Wetherspoons locally so I'll give a couple of the guest ales a try.

15. Aye one of our best kept treasures down here lol

However you can order it direct from the website

16. How about this although it's not exactly English?

[​IMG]

17. tiddlyoggy

Jimmy,
    Yes, I've tried a few and while they're okay to taste, well they're just not English are they! Can you imagine the Wurzels knocking back gallons of Jaques fruit cider or that St. something or other? Would never happen.

18. tiddlyoggy

Pete_N,
    In fact I've just realised, most Wetherspoons DID, so probably still do, stock Henry Weston's ciders in bottle. Not the Special Vintage that's available in supermarkets and is their best one (V strong though at 8.2 ABV), but they do 2 or 3 "real" ciders that are better than most available in pubs.

19. Do they still have Special VAT on board?