St Georges Day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by S-Boat_Dinosaur, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today is St Georges day.

Here at Raleigh we have marked this most English of days by raising the kuwaiti flag.

How is your local naval establishment celebrating it?

It would be interesting to know.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn good to see such patriotism.

Talking of which my Brother in Law, who has lived in Greece for 16 years, rang last night on the eve of St George (Patron saint of many things besides England). I asked him if we was ever thinking of returning to England.

"Nah" he replied. "After John Peel from Radio Two died, there's nothing worth coming back for". He then added: "Actually, I heard Jeremy Beadle died recently, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought".
  3. I prefered the John Peel of Radio 4 and the Radio 1 chap was good too; so I.m not coming back either.
  4. No doubt the prat next door to my brother will have his silly Made in China flags flying for a so called Saint who was a Roman Soldier.

On the same lines as St Patrick the Welshman I would say.

Time it was made a national holiday so England can rejoice and more Chinese Shite can be sold from the supermarkets and the pavements can be covered with more puke.
  5. Guys you are missing the main point of St Georges Day - yes, he may well have been a random Roman but who cares...23rd April 1918 marks the historic collaboration of RM and RN in the heroic blocking of the Zeebrugge port to prevent U-Boats from leaving to attack allied shipping. A truly awesome piece of Royal at his "underwater-knife-fighting-gree-eyed-dealer-of-death" best. Heads up, shoulders back!
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You’re absolutely correct (Oops). It’s probably best you don’t come back. (Blummin’ Johnny Foreigners correcting my radio channels)

Quite Right too.
  7. Nice to read such heartfelt patriotism????
    Is it any wonder that we are in the muddle we are in?
  8. So, no one can tell me what flags are flying?

Amazingly scatological results, well done mr Tangents.
  9. There is a book, reviewed in today’s Daily Telegraph, on the subject entitled “The Finest Feat of Armsâ€, by Paul Kendall. Published by The History Press, and available on

“Upon this charge cry God, Harry, England and St. George!!â€
  10. Its seems my boss has given everyone the day off except me! GRRRRR!
  11. On leave this week, but my neighbour flew the St George Cross from his flag pole. Planning on getting one myself.
    Atheist but "Harry, England and St George" to you all.
  12. All Tangents stowed and secured: with regard to Bath establishments, the Flag didn't fly at Foxhill because the flagpole's broken but it did fly at Ensleigh.
  13. I had no idea there was a St. George's day. But I'm a yank in America. I have St. George's Cross wall mounted in my apartment.

I wanted to show some patriotism to England as the land of my ancestors(London).
    But will mark my calender for next year. Thanks for the info.

We yanks got two hard lessons in patriotism, taught to us by the British.