St. Georges Day!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Jenny_Dabber, Apr 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a valid point to this, why can the UK not celebrate their OWN history and yet other countries can. Why do we celebrate Burns night and St. Patricks day????

It seems back wards to me :roll:

Either way;

[marq=left] HAPPY ST. GEORGES DAY![/marq]

Winston Churchill wrote "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."

2. Can I just point out that the UK includes both Northern Ireland and Scotland so the celebration of both St Patricks Day and Burns Night is wholly appropriate as a celebration of UK history and national pride.

Now if England wants to celbrate St Geogees Day then go ahead and do it, I am quite surethe Scots and Irish citizens of the UK will not object.

Peter

3. Maxi this is where it has all gone awry, even Jenny has opted for the easy way out and referred to her native country as UK and not England. I'm afraid thats what is taught in schools these days.
    As for this particular government, they want the Uk to be known as "Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and the other Regions of the UK". Note if you will, England does'n t appear in that list.
    Personally, I am English 1st. British 2nd.
    My Scottish and Irish relatives have the same view of their own nationalitys too.
    RoofRat

4. Im with you roofrat,

english 1st british 2nd

As regards St Georges day I am in agreement but surely the PC radicals would be offended by this. It seems that only english pc radicals get offended, in the paper yesterday (front page) they want english supporters to sing in german (for fear of offending the germans). No one gives a sh-t about offending the true englishman/woman.

5. ,
    Lucky for us that we don't give a sh*t about them either then eh?
    Anyone who doesn't like the idea of St Georges day should be invited to take the first bananna boat out. I balk at the idea of anyone in England mouthing off against it's traditions. I live in a Buddhist country and fully respect and adapt to those values. I could not do so in an Islamic country so I don't live there, simple. It is no wonder that the BNP is starting to gain real support in blighty now
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13519224,00.html

6. You have my support also guys.
    But I live in the Smoke and the mayor here does not like the English, hence there being no celebrations - although he will gladly fork out for St Paddy's day, the Indian festival of light, the Gay Parade et al - fine, they are all enjoyable things to watch or partake in - but could it be considered 'racist' not to include the greater part of the UK landmass area in its national Saint day ?
    I fly the flag, and I wear the badge with pride on this day, as do other people where I live, and will continue to do so despite certain political parties total apathy or enmity to the English.

7. Much more to the point is that certainly we Scots do the Burns thing simply out of our enjoyment of a good party, not because it is supported officially in any way, and much the same goes for the Irish in general. Perhaps if the English had as good a party spirit they would get off their back sides and do something about having fun for themselves.

Peter

8. I think its all down to patriotism.

The english are patriotic, but its all these immigrants who want to sponge of us as much as they can but want to remain part of the country they have just left, who are the non patriotic ones. They only want the money and housing. The PC pedlers dont like to upset these immigrants, even though the immigrants are supposidly now British(never English) the Union Flag is now their flag. Its amazing how these people flaunt the law, ie turbans - on a motor bike - cannot be taken off because of their religion, if you or I went to a country and flauted their laws you would get hammered but not here!!!!.

We all know that the elmers are very patriotic and have their stars and stripes flying everywhere, and none of their immigrants object, even if they do the elmers say tough sh*t your american now put up with it.

Roll on the revalution(how do you spell that?)

England for the English - fly the flag with pride if you dont like it then bguagr off back to your previous country.

JenneyDabber - me thinks you have opened a can of worms here...........

(sorry if I offend anyone - not)

9. The answer ?

Fly the Ensign every October - that way we (jacks & jennies all) can enjoy a pu - be even better if we can get local government funding for it !!
    Anyone for lobbying the powers that be ? :wink:

10. I think the English have just as much as party spirit as the rest of the UK. We are known for being a nation of binge drinkers filling the streets every weekend with pissheads, vomit and fights every weekend after all.

Without wanting to sound like I read the Daily Mail, I think that when it comes to St George's Day we're made to feel by the liberal intelligentsia that it's somehow racist and dirty, that being white whilst not qualifying for minority status (ie Irish) makes you inherently racist somehow and as England is predominantly white then anything quintissentially English is automatically tainted.

Sorry if my grammar's not too good, but I hope you get my point.

As stated above, why does the capital of England have a St Patrick's Day parade but not St George's? It's because of attitudes like this that a large majority of ordinary law abiding white English people are feeling ignored and probably going to vote for the BNP in the local elections.

And note the BNP is a British party, not exclusively English!

Got to stop ranting now before I do myself an injury.

11. I think the English have just as much as party spirit as the rest of the UK. We are known for being a nation of binge drinkers filling the streets every weekend with pissheads, vomit and fights every weekend after all.

Without wanting to sound like I read the Daily Mail, I think that when it comes to St George's Day we're made to feel by the liberal intelligentsia that it's somehow racist and dirty, that being white whilst not qualifying for minority status (ie Irish) makes you inherently racist somehow and as England is predominantly white then anything quintissentially English is automatically tainted.

Sorry if my grammar's not too good, but I hope you get my point.

As stated above, why does the capital of England have a St Patrick's Day parade but not St George's? It's because of attitudes like this that a large majority of ordinary law abiding white English people are feeling ignored and probably going to vote for the BNP in the local elections.

And note the BNP is a British party, not exclusively English!

Got to stop ranting now before I do myself an injury.

12. maxi,We have a party spirit, when we are allowed to let it out? For the last three years, in Norwich, a publican has applied for a late license for ST.Georges Day. Did he get one, did he fcuk? He got one for St.Paddys, he got one for a Burns night. But for the English, nout! He was told it wasn't important enough.
    In my opinion,
    Its the white liberal jobsworths that are causing the trouble, not the minorities.
    You know the type, a 3rd class degree in flower arranging who can't get a proper job, so goe's into local government making the rest of us pay for their own failures.
    RoofRat

13. You do know that St. George was actually Turkish!

14. Does it actually matter Jenny?
    Did you know that that St.Patrick wasn't actually Irish either?
    The point is, he is our patron Saint!
    BTW most of the indiginous Britains( English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh) worship, and hold in great esteem, a one time Jewish carpenter.
    Roofrat

15. RoofRat, I thought that was 'fiddler on the roof'!

St. George was adopted by the English for his ideals of bravery, honour and gallantry. However, he was not English and little is actually known about this man, he was actually born in Cappadocia in Turkey (east Turkey) and lived within the 3rd Century (year A.D. 270). His parents were Christian and he then became a Roman Soldier, to which he rebelled against the Romans for their treatment against Christians. But unfortunately came to an end in Lydda (Palestine) when he was beheaded for staying true to his faith.

Sorry, thinking head on!

16. Sorry,

Big can - worms everywhere!

The Scottish celebrate Burns night (Nothing whatsoever to do with St Andrews Day, ergo not really relevant)

The Irish celebrate St Patrick's Day, as we all do now!

I admit it, why don't the English celebrate St George's Day? Or any other day for that matter? (There must be some Englishman or Woman worth celebrating, surely?)

DBF 8)

17. Yes St Georges day ,why not?as ive said so many times its the PC brigade,one remark of creakins,odd isnt it?turbans but not crash helmets,iwas onboard Bulwak 1970,two aircrewmen were of the turban class wore turbans with HMS on them,funny how they wore crash helmets when flying,nothing to do with flying pay of course. Reminds me of the teacher who asked her class,who said,we will fight them on the beaches etc. a coloured child put his hand up and said,Winston Churhill, a small voice at the back said f**k of home you black barsteward,the teacher says ,WHO SAID THAT? small voice at back says,Enoch Powell.

18. Spent quite a bit of time in Derbyshire last year

St Georges flags all over the place .

Not sure of the occasion but on the other hand I didn't see many ethnic non caucasian people around either . Maybe there was a message there somewhere!!

19. Hi, Last October we(the local RNA) organised the lighting of a Beacon, on th e Friday followed by a party for which the local Council paid for Hotpot and a splicers, on the Saturday we had our own celebration then on the Sunday we had a church service this was also sponsored by council.

We have had notice they would like to organise something for this year, (without the beacon) and to get the youngsters involved again.

I shall be celebrating St Georges Day / Shakespeares Birthday with a DTS tomorrow

Cheers, (Gulpers on the Council)

20. I am organising a BBQ and bonfire next St Georges day in the finsbury park area, there is a building with a domed roof, public toilet or something I think judging from the smell.
    All are welcome :lol:
    English and British pride is a good thing and I am glad the BNP support is increasing if it will put a rocket up the Labour and Conservatives asses.
    The only thing that bothers me is that they might be racists, it is so hard to make an informed decision these days. Are they really racist or is that propaganda from the govt. Don't really need to worry too much though, they will never get in...