St George

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by mikh, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and gentlemen Happy St George's days.

"This royal throne of kings, this sceptr'd isle/This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars/This other Eden, demi-paradise...This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England...''

2. Now ruined by the leeches that are the rest of the UK.

Now now i'm only joking people!!
    Happy St Georges Day! :)

3. I regret to report my sword arm is a little weak and Bliar & his cronies has just about done me in, in the mental fight stakes.........................

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England’s mountains green?
    And was the holy lamb of God
    On England’s pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the Countenance Divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of Desire;
    Bring me my Spear; O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of Fire!
    I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England’s green and pleasant Land.

4. Happy St George's day everyone, let's all be proud Englishmen (and women, of course) today!

5. Best wishes to the English this day.

6. Don't forget it is also Shakespears birthday as well :!:
    Happy birthday to him and a happy St. Georges day to you all :p

We shall never be slaves, regardless what Bliar wants :lol: :D :) :!:

7. [​IMG]

PROUD TO BE ENGLISH(and scouse lol)

8. Anyone see St George today, ask him if he wantd his fcuking DRAGON back :twisted:
    geoff(ers) :?

9. 'cause if he does the Welsh have got it.

10. Happy St georges day to one and all!!!

NB

12. Not quite - the English Dragon is White. :p

13. fully agree

14. Must have words with my mum again about having me a day late :evil:

My bday tomorrow :lol:

15. 21 again?!

have a good one :D

16. St Georges Service Docs.

George was born to a Christian family during the late 3rd century. His father was from Cappadocia and served as an officer of the Roman army. His mother was from Lydda, Iudaea.
    The youth followed his father's example by joining the army soon after coming of age. He proved to be a good soldier and consequently rose through the military ranks of the time.

By his late twenties(having passed NAMET 1/1) he had gained the title of Tribunus (Tribune) and then Comes (Count) and passed his SRLC at which time George was stationed in Nicomedia as a member of the personal guard attached to Roman Emperor Diocletian.

He got drafted to Street Patrol and George was ordered to take part in the persecution of the Christians but instead confessed to being a Christian himself and criticized the imperial decision.

At Skippers table an enraged Diocletian ordered the torture of this apparent traitor, and his execution.After various tortures, beginning with being lacerated on a wheel of swords, George was executed by decapitation before Nicomedia's defensive wall on April 23, 303.

The witness of his suffering convinced Empress Alexandra and Athanasius, a pagan priest, to become Christians as well, and so they joined George in martyrdom. His body was returned to Lydda for burial, where Christians soon came to honour him as a martyr.

So how come he is OUR Patron Saint?

The cult of St George probably first reached the Kingdom of England when the crusaders returned from the Holy Land in the 12th century. King Edward III of England (reigned 1327 – 1377) was known for promoting the codes of knighthood and in 1348 founded the Order of the Garter. During his reign, George came to be recognised as the patron saint of England; prior to this, Saint Edmund had been considered the patron saint of England, although his veneration had perhaps waned since the time of the Norman conquest. Edward dedicated the chapel at Windsor Castle to the soldier saint who represented the knightly values of chivalry which he so much admired, and the Garter ceremony takes place there every year. In the 16th Century, William Shakespeare firmly placed St George within the national conscience in his play Henry V in which the English troops are rallied with the cry “God for Harry, England and St George.†On June 2 1893, Pope Leo XIII demoted St George as Patron Saint for the English, relegating him to the secondary rank of 'national protector' and replaced him with St Peter as the Patron Saint of England. The change was solemnly announced by Cardinal Herbert Vaughan in the Brompton Oratory. This papal pronouncement served to exclude the Catholic Church in England from a day which is part of English tradition. In 1963, in the Roman Catholic Church, St George was further demoted to a third class minor saint and removed him from the Universal Calendar, with the proviso that he could be honoured in local calendars. Pope John Paul II, in 2000, restored St George to the Calendar, and he appears in Missals as the English Patron Saint.

Also for those of you that had a Woggle.

Also, St George is the patron saint of Scouting. On St George's day (or the closest Sunday), Scouts from around the world generally take part in a parade and some kind of church service in which they renew their Scout Promise. The St. George Award is the highest rank attainable by a Baden-Powell Scout, a world-wide Scouting movement founded in England.

The Hymn of St George.

"Liberator of captives,
    and defender of the poor,
    physician of the sick,
    and champion of kings,
    O trophy-bearer,
    and Great Martyr George,
    intercede with
    Christ our God that
    our souls be saved."