Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

St. Athan

oh, and by the way trehorn2, i'm glad that you're not indicative of the english that i've met in my time in the RNR, be they RN or otherwise. I have never met anybody with such a low opinion of another race of people, never mind one that is just as british as you are.
You spout off that this LRO was a cock towards you because you are RNR, maybe its because you're an asshole. All RN people are not of the same opinion about the RNR as this guy was, and if he was the cock and not you, it doesn't mean that all welsh people are like him.

mazza_magoo said:
oh, and by the way trehorn2, i'm glad that you're not indicative of the english that i've met in my time in the RNR, be they RN or otherwise. I have never met anybody with such a low opinion of another race of people, never mind one that is just as british as you are.
You spout off that this LRO was a cock towards you because you are RNR, maybe its because you're an asshole. All RN people are not of the same opinion about the RNR as this guy was, and if he was the cock and not you, it doesn't mean that all welsh people are like him.

Alright Taffy, don't get sheepish! :twisted:

smoothbore said:
Its obvious - london commuters. The whole Portsmouth/ Fareham area is prime commuter country now.

You mean it no longer takes an hour to get from Alverstoke to the M27? The answer will be, of course, that Privett Road and Newgate Lane are closer to the M27 and Fareham Rwy Stn. Well what about the poor buggers that already live in Turktown Central! Nip across to Portsmouth Harbour Station? The fact is, more houses are going to be additional general misery.

mazza_magoo said:
trehorn2 said:
mechanicnog said:
Worthy Down and Arbroath to Lee-on-Solent then to Collingwood and Sultan

Now it looks as if all training is on it's way to South Wales!!

Croeso!!

This may sound awfully racist but i f*ckin' hate the welsh and can think of nothing worse than having to spend any amount of time, regardless how short in that shite-hole.

Believe it or not i did used to like wales, and the welsh. Until that is i was given a rather large building contract to work on down there. We tried using local subcontractors for the first few phases and had nothing but problems with everything. Workmanship, cost, start dates, completion dates, valuations health and safety, you name it, they f*cked it!

We eventually started bringing down companies from England and whadayaknow - all problems ceased to exist, despite some of them travelling hundreds of miles.

On top of that i went on ORT 2 years ago and ended up in watches with a LRO taff who had a serious disliking for anything RNR. Just bumped into him on a BSSC and if anything, he's an even bigger c*ck now than he was then. I have never had any real resentment shown towards the RNR before but this guy had a real chip on his shoulder. Most people judge the person, not the tabs, which i have no problem with. This guy didnt like the fact that the RNR got the same daily rate as their RN equivilant, plus a bounty.

Give me the Scots any day.
fcuk off you narrow minded racist cnut. if your balls were as big as your gob, you'd identify yourself so i could pop round and give you a real welsh welcome you pr1ck.
:evil:

Like i said, i used to like Wales, i would support their sporting teams against anyone, except against England obviously. That is until i actually spent time there. All i'm saying is that they made my job much more difficult than before. I stopped using taffs and the problems stopped, the contracts made loads more money, started on time, finished on time and had less defects upon completion.

Perhaps my comments were rather sweeping. The majority of the people i met were actually very nice people to get on with. Working with them however would not be something i wish to repeat.

You're not speaking with someone who has never been there, or never had hands on experience on this matter. Off the top of my head we emploed over 30 welsh contractors throughout the project. By the last contract we employed only one, and unfortunatley that was more due to price than anythin else.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and thats mine.

And as for me being the cock as opposed to the LRO, there were six RNR's on the same BSSC as well as others on other courses. He was on a different course, just in the same establishment. It didn't stop the tosser abusing people in the dining hall just because they had RNR on their shoulders.

trehorn2 said:
mechanicnog said:
Worthy Down and Arbroath to Lee-on-Solent then to Collingwood and Sultan

Now it looks as if all training is on it's way to South Wales!!

Croeso!!

This may sound awfully racist but i f*ckin' hate the welsh and can think of nothing worse than having to spend any amount of time, regardless how short in that shite-hole.

Believe it or not i did used to like wales, and the welsh. Until that is i was given a rather large building contract to work on down there. We tried using local subcontractors for the first few phases and had nothing but problems with everything. Workmanship, cost, start dates, completion dates, valuations health and safety, you name it, they f*cked it!

We eventually started bringing down companies from England and whadayaknow - all problems ceased to exist, despite some of them travelling hundreds of miles.

On top of that i went on ORT 2 years ago and ended up in watches with a LRO taff who had a serious disliking for anything RNR. Just bumped into him on a BSSC and if anything, he's an even bigger c*ck now than he was then. I have never had any real resentment shown towards the RNR before but this guy had a real chip on his shoulder. Most people judge the person, not the tabs, which i have no problem with. This guy didnt like the fact that the RNR got the same daily rate as their RN equivilant, plus a bounty.

Give me the Scots any day.

I always respected a man with a diplomatic bent!

You're not related to Miss Goody by any chance are you?

JunglyDaz said:
Where better for a tri-service AE training establishment than the middle of Wales, miles away from the main FAA, AAC and RAF bases. Good decision.......not!

psst - St Athan is nowhere near the middle of Wales - middle of nowhere, yes but not there :razz:

mazza_magoo said:

Ok, i apologise for the sweeping statement.

Any comments previously made were directed towards 99% of the taffs that i have worked with and aimed at workwise as opposed to personally.

As in everything there are good and bad in all races, colours, creeds etc etc. I have had very bad experiences while working with the welsh and unfortunately i am still sorting them out 12 months down the line, so please excuse me if i sound bitter.

My experience of the Welsh is first at Aberporth missile range and more recently Llangennech. At both places I have found the Viet Taff to be extremely friendly and helpful. OK they speak in Welsh, but in many cases that is their first language and normally they switch to English when there is a non Welsh speaker with them. The only complaints I have is that they have no regard for parking regulations, they have far too many speed cameras and there are too many on permanent benefits.

I would like it known that I have nothing against our Welsh cousins - I married one.

Please give it a rest guys or take it elsewhere, maybe even St Athan???
:) ;-)

brigham600 said:
I would like it known that I have nothing against our Welsh cousins - I married one.

Please give it a rest guys or take it elsewhere, maybe even St Athan???
:) ;-)

I quite agree and since I started this thread perhaps now would be a good time to tie it off!!

I was born in Cambridge , but, having had a few very happy years in Brawdy. I and my English wife, decided to move here before I left the Service. (36 years ago!). I expected a few "caustic commets" about the St Athan move, but didn't expect such a vitrioic outburst!!

But thank you all anyway .

By the way I am now learning Welsh - so if you need any lessons........

slim said:
My experience of the Welsh is first at Aberporth missile range and more recently Llangennech. At both places I have found the Viet Taff to be extremely friendly and helpful. OK they speak in Welsh, but in many cases that is their first language and normally they switch to English when there is a non Welsh speaker with them. The only complaints I have is that they have no regard for parking regulations, they have far too many speed cameras and there are too many on permanent benefits.

You've been to merthyr tydfil then slim? :lol:

Drive past Merthyr Tydfil but don't stop as I want to keep the wheels on my car. I believe that this town has the highest proportion on benefits per head in the UK. Not a very attractive place but that shouldn't mean that so many are on benefits for depression.

We all know why the move has happened and its simple - cash. Money from developers for the SULTAN and COLLINGWOOD land and money from Metrix for the PPI contract. Cynical cash grabbing politicians I'm afraid, someone really, really needs to grip them and grip them soon before this gets out of hand...whoops that was 2003.

Latest Threads