SSN Dreadnought crew

I left boats long before the DREADNOUGHT , but in old age I am interested in how they crewed the DREADNOUGHT , there being no nuclear reactors in the RN before she was launched in 1960? I assume the Captain was given training in the USN as likely was the Senior Engineering Officer and perhaps others in the ward room and lower deck . Be grateful if anybody knows something about the training for this , the first RN Nuclear Submarine . Also when were RN people trained for nuclear submarine duties --- engineering and other , entirely in establishments in the UK ? Lofty

I think I heard a dit that those who would be operating the reactor were sent to a power station in the north of Scotland(Doonray I think. I'm not sure on the spelling) for training and watchkeeping duties.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I left boats long before the DREADNOUGHT , but in old age I am interested in how they crewed the DREADNOUGHT , there being no nuclear reactors in the RN before she was launched in 1960? I assume the Captain was given training in the USN as likely was the Senior Engineering Officer and perhaps others in the ward room and lower deck . Be grateful if anybody knows something about the training for this , the first RN Nuclear Submarine . Also when were RN people trained for nuclear submarine duties --- engineering and other , entirely in establishments in the UK ? Lofty
I've sent you a message with a contact email address.

Thank you all for that --- it seems the obvious thing to do , but there were a lot of politics involved in the Nuclear deal with the Yanks and Rolls Royce had nearly completed a UK built reactor for the future RN boats , so its good to get the proper story . The more I read about these nuclear boats , the more I am convinced I would not have been happy leaving diesel boats . But now there are none !! Best regards Lofty