SSBN Whistle Blower Fail

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RabC, May 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was a thread with regards Trident Boats quoting a Scottish Paper. The MOD decided to close it, I ask is this a web site for Navy orientated people or the mouth piece of the Ministry of Defence. Some of the moderators here really need to know where work stops and a social website starts. I guess it would be too much like hard work for the MOD to have left the thread open and just moderated posts that were out of line, I have heard this excuse on here before "it was too hard so I locked/or deleted the thread"

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Reading the article it smacked of a newspaper with an agenda. A young dabber trot sentry AWOL trying to save his arse by blabbing about the security of V-boats and weapons.

I'm not a fan of locking threads, for example, 4 allegedly sexually active members of a sporting team representing the RN in Canada. I'm also not a fan of being banned for 2 months for SFA other than a MOD having a set of wet knickers.

Can we now get back to answering the same old questions about joining up and introducing 'new blood' to site. Its obviously been working well.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Wits I wanted to give you a like but it wont let me guess you or I may be on the naughty step.

• Like Like x 1
  4. But for G-ds sake, the toilets didn't work!! Can you imagine the fall out (excuse the pun) if the Russians got hold of that? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The moderators may have explained the Commander's intent before. The Commanders in this context are the site owners, Good and Bad CO. Why not whine to them about what you see as unnecessary locking and deletions, with reasons? If they see it your way, they will be sure to let the mods ( not the MOD) know. Imagine the satisfaction knowing that you've got one over on the nasty, bullying, untrusting mods.

What's keeping you?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Seadog

I was also tickled by the bit about reporting the presence of gash to a superior as if it's not in an AB's remit to pick up gash.

Of course, context may be missing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wish I could read the article, but its not there, only the bit in the comments section, any one got a link??? If so please PM it so we do not upset any mod(s) and get this thread locked

8. must be you in the corner Rab, I managed to give wits a like ;)

9. I put this in the Site Issues hoping an adult would see it. Nice to see Purple Twiglet is sticking by you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mikh I followed the link from the original thread and it was all there. Tinfoil hat time?

11. Seadog

There isn't often any disagreement among the mods on locking these sorts of stories. We do 'self check' and compare notes and sometimes a thread is unlocked/ not locked because another perspective and persuasive argument have prevailed. I seem to recall persuading the mods to reinstate a serial cock, only to regret it later.

Don't wait for CO to read your post or you may wait an eternity. Email.

12. Seadog

Search for it. It's in the paper version of the Sunday Herald, complete with a picture of matey's MOD ( not mod) 90.

It'll have a web presence.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I always stick by my former 'acquaintances' for fear that the tape involving myself, peanut butter and the donkey will be leaked if I dont...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Purple_twiglet

More serious answer time. This site can, and does, get surfed by the media looking for what they think is informed comment on some issues. Sometimes, an answer that is meaningful here, may be taken out context and used in a way which doesnt help the wider cause of the RN.

Both RR and ARRSE have very clear command intent from the CO's on what can and cannot be done on their sites. If you have an issue with this, then take it up with them directly. If they disagree with the Mods, then you'll see it change.

15. I heard, the donkey rejecting your advances must have been really hurtful, still proves animals can be good judges of character.

• Like Like x 4
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I going to revise my intial impression of young William. After the hard work of reading his document it appears he might have set out to be a whistleblower.

I imagine a lot of baws are being toed this afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wits
    Cheers for the link but this appears to be a sprog with an axe to grind. I wont go through a point by point argument as that'll prove the mods right. I do however understand why he is like a voice in the wilderness and no one paid attention to his initial whistle blowing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Purple_twiglet

Quite right too. It took me a lot of counselling and support to get over it.

19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not a submariner but work a lot with them. Most of what I've just read sounds like inflated grumpiness.

Checking of bags on board? You're already in a high security base not joining a boat in Weymouth.

References to Vanguards bump - all subjective second hand gossip. If I were a CPO having been on board would I big it up to make it sound cooler to the sprog?

Sewage/system failures - that's why we have engineers on board, shit happens on big complex machines.

Submariners knowing ways to damage/destroy submarines - crikey that sounds........exactly what I'd hope to hear.

A nuclear catastrophe about to happen? Infiltrators about to bring them down on our land - sounds less and less credible. Reading that part made me realise how young and naive he is.

As with all ship/submarines I don't doubt there are problems. Like I say that's why we have engineers, fire fighting kit, damage control training. Any real news?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Seadog

Having now read -as I know some others have- the chap's 'damning dossier' ( well 2 pages before I lost the will to live) it doesn't appear that journalists are giving him much cred.
    Their analysis of his motives, state of mind, how much he knows, context, how significant it is is probably the same as some of ours.

I get the impression that the press have had this for nearly two weeks and having asked for expert opinion ( not the Rum Ration SMEs) have filed it under 'pish'.

Except it seems, the Sunday Herald and the BBC.

• Like Like x 2