SR's Mess Dress Alternative

the_matelot

War Hero
Right, I've just been given a swerve ball in that I've to attend a do in the next couple of days at a mess that isn't my own. Rig is Mess Dress/No 1's with bow tie.

I don't have my mess dress with me (long story) as I'm due to attend Pickle Night at my unit the week after next and I haven't got time to go retrieve it. But I do have my No 1's with me.

Am I right in thinking that bow tie and civvy dress shirt with No 1's is acceptable? And do I need a cummerbund or can I wing it without one?

Nigaramus

Lantern Swinger
You can normally get away with it in the mess providing it's a plain dress shirt. i.e. no wing collars, fancy frills etc. I would say wear your normal rig shirt with a bow tie.The rig with No 1's at mess dinners is negative medals, not even minatures.
Cannot see a problem wearing or not wearing a cummerbund. (Keep your jacket done up just incase, not a problem when you are sat down as no one can see your waistline anywear unless you are sat on bar stools!!)

Hope this is of some help.

the_matelot

War Hero
I've got a smart dress shirt anyway-no frills, normal collar etc so I'll wear that I think.

It'll all go to rat shite anyway when jackets are relaxed afterwards!!!!!!!!!

Theres really no need for a dress shirt, the correct dress, (Without a bum freezer) is No1s negative medals with a bow tie. Perfectly acceptable.

Dabs

Lantern Swinger
Nigaramus said:
You can normally get away with it in the mess providing it's a plain dress shirt. i.e. no wing collars, fancy frills etc. I would say wear your normal rig shirt with a bow tie.The rig with No 1's at mess dinners is negative medals, not even minatures.
Cannot see a problem wearing or not wearing a cummerbund. (Keep your jacket done up just incase, not a problem when you are sat down as no one can see your waistline anywear unless you are sat on bar stools!!)

Hope this is of some help.
Spot on Nigar, good advice and nice to see we still have people who look after each other. Personally, I would normally fcuk up just to irritrate the Pres. In all the years I have attended formal functions, no one has binned me out. Having said that, I always have my gear in the car at the back of the mess. I just like to be a tawt, but its all part of the game. :lol: