SR's Mess Dress Alternative

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by the_matelot, Oct 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Right, I've just been given a swerve ball in that I've to attend a do in the next couple of days at a mess that isn't my own. Rig is Mess Dress/No 1's with bow tie.

I don't have my mess dress with me (long story) as I'm due to attend Pickle Night at my unit the week after next and I haven't got time to go retrieve it. But I do have my No 1's with me.

Am I right in thinking that bow tie and civvy dress shirt with No 1's is acceptable? And do I need a cummerbund or can I wing it without one?

2. You can normally get away with it in the mess providing it's a plain dress shirt. i.e. no wing collars, fancy frills etc. I would say wear your normal rig shirt with a bow tie.The rig with No 1's at mess dinners is negative medals, not even minatures.
    Cannot see a problem wearing or not wearing a cummerbund. (Keep your jacket done up just incase, not a problem when you are sat down as no one can see your waistline anywear unless you are sat on bar stools!!)

Hope this is of some help.

3. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I've got a smart dress shirt anyway-no frills, normal collar etc so I'll wear that I think.

It'll all go to rat shite anyway when jackets are relaxed afterwards!!!!!!!!!

4. Theres really no need for a dress shirt, the correct dress, (Without a bum freezer) is No1s negative medals with a bow tie. Perfectly acceptable.

5. Spot on Nigar, good advice and nice to see we still have people who look after each other. Personally, I would normally fcuk up just to irritrate the Pres. In all the years I have attended formal functions, no one has binned me out. Having said that, I always have my gear in the car at the back of the mess. I just like to be a tawt, but its all part of the game. :lol: