Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by seafruit, Jun 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey there
    im doing my phase 2A training at the moment for AET and pretty soon im gonna get asked for my preferences for which aircrat i want to work on. the thing is i havnt a clue any more. so if there any one with advice or experience please feel free to comment. was considering merlin but not sure now. whats junglie seaking like?and whats the training like for it? they preach lynx here so i dunno. am v confused. another questions is do i have to do the dunker? bssc? issc?
  2. I take it that there are leading hands at your establishment ding their qualifying course. Why not ask a few of them? :thumright:
  3. the dunk is a piece of cake dont worry. After the first time youll want another go. Would you consider Sea King SAR? :thumright: but im not up to date with the way it is in the FAA now :thumright:
  4. I'm down at Sultan on my Killicks course, there are pro's and con's to each aircraft, I'm a Junglie myself so I think that it's the best, but the only travelling I get to do is Basra, Afghanistan or Norway whereas Lynx do a lot of sea time but get very little work done - neggers gongs - A good inbetweener could be the Junglie lynx, but is a hard one to get, once your in you stay there. Merlin is a new aircraft so it's still finding it's feet and so far they've been kept busy all over the place. There is also the choice of working with our friends in the light blue with the Naval Strike Wing there is also a good mix of everything with the NSW, detachments and the like. Whatever type you choose you will have to do BSSC at some point and the likelyhood of having to do the dunker is quite high you will be flying over the sea at some point! hope I have been of use to you!
  5. I don`t wish to detract from the posters query, however i do find it odd that to ask that sort of question on an unofficial site when you are surrounded with AETs i assume all the way up to Chiefs. If you can`t find out what you want to do there, what chance have you on here?
  6. Dunkers is similar to the water tunnel on Woodbury Common mate except you have clean water. :thumright:
  7. Not quite true.....Junglies do work hard, very true, but so does everyone else.

I'm on deployment at the moment on a lynx flight, this'll be my 3rd 6 month trip during my current draft, with 2 medals in two years (Op Telec and Op Active Endevour). The pace might not be as hard as the Junglie Circuit, but there are only 7 of us on the flight, and no "other watch" to hand over to.

But with port visits in the past 2 years including Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian Islands, India, Sri-Lanka, Dubai, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Egpyt, Kuwait, Croatia, Italy, Greece, Spain, Turkey, Gibraltar plus others, I know what I'd prefer.

Plus on a Lynx flight you get the oppourtunity to do things outside of your core AET job, such as Flight Winchman, M3M Cabin Door Gunner, Flightdeck GPMG Machine Gunner etc

Which ever you choose you'll enjoy!
  8. Another factor for you to consider of course is the air station you will end up based at;
    Lynx = Yeovilton
    Merlin = Culdrose
    Harrier = Cottesmore (you'll be walking sideways within weeks)
    Sea King = Fairly even spread between Culdrose and Yeovilton, though if you're looking at junglies it'll be Yeovil.

Having never been to Cottesmore I can't comment on the night life, however, Helston/Penzance/Falmouth/Camborne (all within reach of Culdrose) are all much better night's out than Yeovil (whatever anyone says, Chicago IS a dump). Conversely, the accommodation at Yeovilton is much better than at Culdrose, and the waiting lists for SLAM cabins are shorter.

Lots of people tend not to consider these factors when picking their aircraft, but they're very important, you're going to be living on board at one of those stations for a long old time before you QS/QM and can move off base.
  9. i have asked people around me but they al give different answers. am off to get eaten alive and caked in mud in tallybont now thanks for the advice. x
  10. Harrier at Cott/Witt are OK. Been around them for 5 years now. Young lads enjoy the nightlife of Stamford, Peterborough, Nottingham, Oakham. Place is central to most of the country rather than being stuck in the West Country.
    Phase 2 training is mostly driven by the sidways walking freaks who will do their most to let you know how good they think they are!!!!
    Good luck with you training. You spell "aircraft" like this, prob a good word to learn with all the paperwork you are going to be doing in your future career.

Best Wishes.
  11. At the end of the day it's going to be your own decision.
    You'll be given lot's of advice but @ the end of the day it really doesn't matter, you've joined the Royal Navy.
    You haven't been in for long but already you should see the struggle it faces, especially in the fleet air arm.
    If you are truely commited you'll take what your given and prove yourself as what the navy needs right now, Men and Women willing to do whatever it takes to bring back some pride!
    best of luck in the future maybe see you on squadron some time.
  12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

13. Maybe he thought he could ask on here and draw from a whole fleet's worth of experience, without someone trying to make him look and feel like a mug?

Everyone feels a certain loyalty to their own aircraft type, so you won't always get an even-handed answer. I've done Lynx, Merlin and Shar, but wouldn't recommend any one above the other. Look into the aircraft and the current role they are carrying out, also where they are doing it, and see what might suit you best. Look in the front cover of Navy News and it will tell you where all the deployed ships and squadrons are, and what worthwhile or otherwise job they are doing. :thumright:
  14. A whole Fleets worth of experience? Where? on Here? The Majority on here are Newbies. FFS get a grip.
  15. And grumpy old buggers, you can't forget them.
  16. What a lot of people fail to understand, is that us old farts have nothing but experience to fall back on.