Squaddies hit by online chat ban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mikh, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has always been the case, whatever rank/rate you are. I do see the security issues with internet forums/blogs but how the hell do you police this?

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I think that gets said every year as a reminder, opsec etc. Also to remind people serving not to say things/post piccies that can cast the forces in a bad light. After all, that's what journalists are for. :wink:

3. What gets me is this has come from the politicoes/Mod Mandarins, where most of the bloody leaks come from in 1st place, so if they are going to ban the troops from social networking, what the hell are they going to do to themselves?????

4. Fair point but it only takes one t**t; and I do believe we currently have more than one.

5. GOOD!! I want my tax dollars (??).... er I mean Pounds spent on squadies who like to get amongst it and rip Terry Teliban a new arschhole not spend all day on Facebook pretending to be an Underwater Knife Fighting Instructor to impress some naive bint.
    :D

6. Nothing new. In the 1980's I got a repremand from my CO for writing to my MP after rumours circulated about the ROC being disbanded. Group orders went out a few weeks later reminding us that we were not to talk to the press or our MPs without prior permission from the CoC. :roll:

7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Done to death on ARRSE yesterday - its just the reissue of the normal instructions. Its a coverall designed to remind people not to give away sensitive stuff on the net, but doesnt ban them from facebook, despite what tabloids are saying.

8. All of these instructions come from the Defence Council...

No change, nothing to see, slow news day at the Stun...

9. Here at Collingwood we recently had similar briefings, particularly regarding Opsec/Persec on sites such as Facebook etc. Makes sense really and the briefing team showed many Facebook profiles they had visited where far too much information was given away.

Armed Forces personnel are NOT banned from these sites, but are merely informed not to post information of a delicate nature, which makes sense really.