Spybot

Thank you for your reply :)
As you stated, I did not have a dig at HookieBuntz. Her/His post is just as relevant as anyones here, unless it is not computer related. I was just giving another point of view that was taken the wrong way. Since that has been pointed out to HookieBuntz, he/she has either declined to engage or posted a dig at me in another thread, even though I have PM'd her/him to take it up there if she/he wishes to, out of the public eye ;)

Heres hoping your week gives you everything I wish for :)
Lamri

AfterSSE

War Hero
stirling said:
Why do we need Adaware AND Spybot ??
Spybot uses a HOSTS file manager as well and protects the user from malicious sites, AdAware keeps your cookies under control... :bball:

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Lamri
It surprises me that there is no mention of rootkits in this thread. I am sure you would agree they are the bad boys! Perhaps you could enlighten our readers?

Yours aye
IDOITDEEPER

IDOITDEEPER said:
Lamri
It surprises me that there is no mention of rootkits in this thread. I am sure you would agree they are the bad boys! Perhaps you could enlighten our readers?
Absolutely!

Linky

I don't pretend to be an expert IDID, and never will ;)

Quantum

Badgeman
I tend to use one or the other, mainly Spybot with which I have had none of the stated problems, indeed conventional wisdom would have it that using more than one anti-spyware program is self defeating as they tend to work against one another - I'm not sure that they look for different things, Spybot does cookies as well as everything else afaics... However, I have come across cases where Spybot has been subverted by malware and, in appearing to function as normal, leaves the machine with no protection (typically this will have neutralised the anti-virus first - Symantec products are especially vulnerable ime.) So, good as these programs are, caution is the watchword, make sure you keep them up to date and keep a weather eye out for unusual system behaviour .. a good process viewer such as Daphne will give much more info than Task manager and a packet sniffer like Ethereal will nail anything being sent without your knowledge - just my two penn'orth ....

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Lamri
I think you may have mis-interpreted my post. This might in fact be due to what some would describe as the previous "ill feeling" between you and myself. In no respect did I mean to insinuate that you had claimed to be a computer expert and I was merely posting to point out the fact that rootkits are more damaging than anything hid in programmes such as Spybot!

Yours Aye
IDOITDEEPER

AfterSSE

War Hero
However, I have come across cases where Spybot has been subverted by malware
Usually that's a result of the user not configuring the HOSTS file and subsequently receiving a drive by download of a malicious package while surfing.

Also some sites will disable or reconfigure the HOSTS file so that the Windows Automatic updates call home...127.0.0.1 as well as the Antivirus automatic updates, thus ensuring your machine is wide open to attacks...

Reason why Firefox with "Noscript" is very valuable as an alternative to a badly configured IE.... :hockey:

bikerman

War Hero
I have switched from Adaware 2007 to Spybot because Adaware would hang or turn off everytime it was reading my GUID files :boogie:

NotmeChief

Banned
bikerman said:
I have switched from Adaware 2007 to Spybot because Adaware would hang or turn off everytime it was reading my GUID files :boogie:
Even the major and popular anti-virus programs disable a file while they read through it, a running program can only be read with great difficulty and might crash if something starts picking at it's files.

Although it is generally called Spybot, it's full name is 'Spybot search & destroy' and it only comes from Safer-networking. There are other sites to download from, but if you want to be sure then only go to 'Safer-networking.org' to get it.

As with any cleaner / naughty search tool, it is best to run it in 'Safe Mode', that is when windows only loads the bare minimum of utilities to get your pc running.

Unfortunately the Adaware 2007 version cannot be run in safe mode.

When Spybot opens, click on 'Mode' and tick 'Advanced'. When you have done that, down the bottom of the left hand column click on 'Settings', while still in that column click on 'Ignore Products'.
This a list of the products and site rubbish it searches through (if you want naughty sites get them here).

Put your mouse pointer over the scroll arrow at the bottom on the right and watch the square tick boxes as they go up the screen. You will see four or five that are ticked, remove these ticks.

These are ticked because they threatened Spybot with court action for calling them 'spyware', as Spybot is a small company, they could not take the chance of this happening even though they are put on your PC without your permission and send back info. They ticked them as ignore rather than remove them so we now have the choice of whether they are included in the ditch list.

Don't forget to use 'Immunize'.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Adaware and Spybot Bloody Computers 0