Spot the Problem

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Retread, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every now and then a mate of mine will call to say that there is a problem with his computer. Usually there are rogue applications running which he “knows nothing about†or his browser is defaulting to a site which he’s “never seen beforeâ€!

The latest problem is Outlook Express not being able to locate “msoe.dll†despite it being in the correct folder – a quick scan of his registry revealed over 800 errors...

There is a pattern to these problems, they usually occur when his wife has been away for a few days. Any ideas? :wink:
  2. I know of some reliable sites he could someone at work told me about them..never looked myself :oops:
  3. DNS poisoning - eww - reset router to factory defaults
  4. I've bought him a pair of boxing gloves - should solve the keyboard snags and... Damn they're rather supple leather! :D
  5. Bit over the top for most but,every three months or so I do a full backup and a format,clears all the crap out and the machine runs like a train.
    It's pretty quick to reload and transfer the important files after a while.
    works for me.
  6. Hows about getting to know the neighbours wife - that should clear it all up.

If he asks for a cuppa sugar during the working day, all the files will be available.