sports in subs

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by loiz18, Jan 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just wondering really what facilities are on submarines to keep fit? obviously you cant do much, being so enclosed. what do the submariners do to keep fit down there?
  2. Weights, exercise bike, rowing machine and masturbation but not necessarily in that order
  3. And the last one is best performed concurrently with the other activities.
  4. Running round the upper deck.
  5. I heard there was a shooting and archery range.
  6. Regular pool tournaments for the lads - billiards for the bun run.
  7. Yeah, but you have to let your oppo do it for you.
  8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

The table tennis bats are always booked out. I not sure some of the lads use them for there designed purpose.
  9. We had a dartboard over the fridge hatch and the hocky by 29BH, got chased by the light weights who wanted to sleep :D
  10. Damn - we only had a 29 wall watchkeeper!!! :lol:
  11. I was watching a documentry about a Russian submarine being dismantled and there was a small bath to have a swim in on the boat. This is not a wind up honestly! Admittedly it was tiny but it was used for fitness.
  12. If you Google 'TYPHOON' and look for Soviet submarines rather than winds, you'll find somewhere a serious of photos taken inside said boat. And yes, it did have a swimming pool. Safeguard.
  13. [​IMG]

More photos here
  14. Porpoising at PD with a sea running.

(Ideally practised on a dark, cloudy night when the boat is reduced to ‘black’ lighting.)

This is a sport where the two planesmen strengthen their wrist & upper arm muscles whilst alternatively plunging and broaching the boat as they try to maintain periscope depth.

The OOW can increase its severity by poor trimming but the planesmen’s sport is generally ended abruptly when the referee (XO) arrives to restore a proper trim.

By colluding, experienced planesmen can reduce a rookie OOW to tears at this sport, and if snorting the whole crew get to exercise their eardrums, too. :twisted:
  15. Showing your age there shippers, with this two-man control thingy. Next you'll be talking about tapper gear n'stuff.
  16. I recall being told that pre-Tapper gear, 'twas 14 turns of the wheel from full rise to full dive when steel wires operated the 'control surfaces'.

(the original fly-by-wire, perhaps)
  17. We're not going back to wooden hulls here, are we? :wink:
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Brought back a few memories there, mostly involving the afterplanesman that uttered the immortal words, leave this to me, forewardplanesman would take his hands off the tapper gear and watch with glee the increasing and sometimes frantic efforts of the afterplanesman to keep on depth. It usually ended when the OOW realised what was happening.