Sports and supplements at BRNC

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jovybaby, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, this is my first post. Currently awaiting the April 26th start (pending medical) and reading through the list of summer sports was very disappointed to not see rugby 7s listed. Is this really the case?? :(

Another question is regarding my use of protein powders and protein bars. I do alot of weight training (although I had to cut my weight down for the silly medical grrr) and use various supplements. In my experience I am not really sure that the food provided is quite going to be sufficient to keep me 100% topped up, so is there any way I will be allowed to bring protein bars with me? Or is this a no no?

Thanks in advance, and hi!!
  2. Speak to your PTI, if there isn't a side going you can start one.
    If the bars are legal it's your money spend it as you wish.
  3. 2 bits of cheesecake and he still wants more :lol: :lol:

(good luck with the medical result mate)
  4. I am sure someone will be along in a moment to correct me, but are you quite sure that you will have the time and access to weight-training over and above the sporting activities provided by your PTIs?

If you are not able to continue with your weights regime, you may have much less need for supplements, and let's face it the normal phys will be a piece of piss
  5. I am much the same really, lifting is my favourite sport but there is not going to be the time nor rest periods needed to do and recover from such so I am just going to stop for now and pick it up later on in life.

Good luck with medical, I don't know if I have to do one?
  6. Ah - someone else who likes to waste money with protein shakes and the like.

You won't have anywhere to store them at BRNC, if that makes your life any easier. So that'll save you about £30 a week (my guess). You won't have time to do any more phys than anyone else during Phase 1 - as you get more senior you get a bit more time but there are better things to be doing.

The evidence for the efficacy of these things is lacking...
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Comm, you had missed a word out which I have now corrected :wink:
  8. What a silly mistake on my part! :oops:

Thanks for the swift reputation saving action. :wink:
  9. I Hope your steward, bats for the other side!!!!! usually does at BRNC :lol: :lol:
  10. The OP is going aircrew and has a clarification of something pending.
  11. :roll: Yes his Steward is doing it for him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Well im certainly not here to get in an argument about these things, save to say I'm more than happy with results I've had. But thanks for the answers, guess I'll have to suck it up and go skinny for a while!
  13. I'd suggest stopping ASAP - the lst thing yo uwant is to get to BRNC and really miss anything you've been using regularly.
  14. ...I wouldn't say it's an addiction. He won't be selling his stewards for Promax in little plastic bags! ;)

15. At present there is no Rugby 7s at BRNC. However, the Commodore is VERY pro sports and is encouraging new teams to be set up. When you get there speak to the PTIs about starting a team. It will likely take a few weeks to start one unless the demand is there and other OCs elect to join for the weekly sport sessions during the first week. If you are keen to start it get talking to your oppos during meals etc in the first week and go as a group to the PTIs and ask for the option. Will give you good brownie points from you DO too!

Regards to bars: I agree with angrydoc; there will be minimal space to store them, and you won't have much time to do any of your own phys in the first couple of months. After that you will have more time to go to the gym, so re-assess at that stage.

Hope this is of help...
  16. The sport I would like to be able to get back into during my time in the RN is either Judo or another sort of martial art. Not sure if there is anything martial arts related at BRNC?
  17. The RN have a Judo Squad. When I was last in I trained with them at Sultan and Collingwood. Not sure what they have at BRNC though.
  18. Hmm, are there any facilities for boxing about at BRNC? I know it's big in the RN.
  19. There are boxing facilities at BRNC - boxercise circuits (not that new entry will have time for!) every Thursday 1700. You can however sign out the keys for the gym from the duty pti at your own leisure once you start getting free time (ie after ABLE). There are some PTIs really into their boxing so I'd think they'll try and make it a sport if there is enough attendance.

Similarly, for the original post: I went to Ecole Navale (French Naval College) earlier this year to play rugby 7s. Rugby is generally entirely dependent with who turns up off the buses in day 1. Unfortunately, like me, you've not joined during a rugby season so will have to wait for when you return as a senior... There is an annual game against Sandhurst and Cranwell at the very least and often tournaments knocking about the bases.

As for protein... You can buy it in the naafi so it is all ok but I'd suggest you wait until you get off rounds in week 2/3 so that you don't have extra clutter knocking about your cabin though I can assure you for at least the first 2-3 weeks you won't have time to weight train. After ABLE, perhaps BLD you will start to get time to go to the gym.
  20. Ah, boxing, marvellous sport.

You'll have a middleweight sparring partner if we're there at the same time. Perhaps not a very good one is all.