Sporting Opportunities

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SphynxPawww, Jun 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've searched and not found alot of information about sporting in the Navy, in the Careers guide booklet online it talks about how you can do a wide range of sports etc and take part in all kinds of events within the Navy, nothing to detailed though.

I was wondering how does it work generally, is there a certain process you need to go through to get into a team, for example i am interested in Boxing mainly and Football, is there trials for sports and would it be during recreational time or would you get time of your duties to take part in bouts/mathces if succesful, if its taken that seriously? and can you do multiple sports?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  3. Never seen this when i looked, helps alot thanks mate
  4. That's Ma'am to you!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Will be saying balls to the queen next!!!
  6. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Does anyone know what strain of Karate is practised within the RN? [Shotokan, Isshinryu, Kyokushin etc]
  7. I would certainly think so.
  8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

After passing the severe trial of "use the ******* search function", the young pupil may learn many styles. There's 8 ******* pages worth if you type in "martial arts".
    • Like Like x 1
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There's a lot more if you type in Marital Arts!
  10. There is shit loads of sporting opportunities whilst in training, and you can take full advantage of these in your first year, but the nature of the job in the end counts against you developing your sport to a high level if you are any good(there is one exception, Rugby). I can speak from personal experience about this, I joined at 16, football I loved but just wasn't good enough to break into any teams, so I picked up Hockey, during my training period, I found that I wasn't too bad, representing Command level, RN level and Combined Services at U21 level, then I joined my first ship, then year after year inter-service competitions passed me by as I was deployed or was unable to be released, in the end I just was unable to commit to the sport to achieve anything other than representing the ship or local command if in base port. The hard truth is once on a ship, other than Rugby or slightly less, football you're pissing in the wind.
  11. tiddlyoggy

Not necessarily true Mac, I've known boxers to be released by ships to compete. Doesn't always happen I'll grant you, and depends largely if your DEPCO and/or DO have the old "Show me a sportsman and I'll show you a loafer" mentality.
  12. I'd have to disagree strongly with that shipmate.

I have an oppo who is/was the captain of the combined services cricket team, the bloke was taken off the ship in the middle of a deployment to go on a cricket tour in the West Indies, leaving the department a man down, I recall this happening more than once. Google tells me he's now playing at County level.

Likewise another lad I joined up with is into hill walking/mountaineering, he became a PTI and is now the clubz in Bavaria organising mountain AT for people, basically his dream job. He's also recently found time to bang in an Everest ascent, which while not fully funded by the pusser, was very well supported. Quite literally he has peaked in his chosen sport, entirely thanks to the mob supporting him with time off and training.

What about the Olympic Bobsled team? I'm pretty sure they are booties. There were some other booties in the recent summer Olympics team too, indicating that the possibility exists within the RN community to got to the very top of your chosen sport if you bang in the hard work.

I even know a female PTI who has blagged a ******* horse off the mob and competes in quite a high level of show jumping.

Over pretty much any civvy job, the possibility of becoming a top athlete/sportsmen is considerably greater as a servicemen. Which other jobs will give you every Wednesday afternoon off plus two weeks a year to do your chosen sport and provide you with a gym/sporting equipment/clubs/professional trainers?

Personally I got to a reasonably decent standard of snowboarding while I was in the mob, nothing professional, but more than enough to look cool on a mountain and bag some fanny. I now enjoy a few weeks on the mountain every year. The RN ski champs kickstarted this for me. Likewise sailing, in the summer I spend a few weeks on a yacht based out of Gosport. I learnt to sail in the RN on a couple of AT expeds on RN yachts and also built up the contacts to be able to blag a place on the yacht I currently crew.

If you work hard at your sport, the opportunities are there and it is possible to fit it around your job as many others have demonstrated.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. To answer your actual question: Most bases already have thriving sporting clubs/societies. If there isn't one for your chosen sport on your base, there maybe one nearby at a neighbouring base. For example I used to do kayaking in Collingwood's swimming pool every Tuesday evening, even though I was based at Dryad and later based in Portsmouth dockyard, I'd just drive across.

Identify what you want to do, go along to the session, there is no limit to the amount of sessions and different sports you can try, you'll just be limited by your own commitments, doing 5 different sports 5 nights a week can get a bit tiresome. Generally if you want to get really good at something, you'll just want to concentrate on that.

You mentioned boxing, let's use it as an example.

You go along to the gym, ask your friendly PTI what opportunities exist to get into boxing. He will tell you when the next evening session is. You go along after work, meet the other lads/PTIs, do some training so they can get an idea of your potential/existing abilities. From there you will build up your training, over the course of your sessions, sparring with people of similar abilities etc. You will also get every Wednesday afternoon off to train. You can use this time to hit the gym, or if you can find a partner and a PTI to supervise, you can do some sparring.

Eventually if you're good enough, you might be able to compete in a few amateur bouts or even an RN championship etc. A lad I know did exactly this while training at Collingwood and won the RN heavyweight title. He went from complete novice to RN heavyweight champion in about a year and a half, whether this is an indication of the standard of boxing in the mob remains to be seen.

Eventually you'll join your ship, as mentioned by other posters, the opportunities to train and do sport will be a bit more limited, however this doesn't mean you have to stop. Most ships have a punchbag strung up in the hangar somewhere, there is no reason you can't spend your lunch hour pounding the bag. Let people know you are into boxing, you'll find others who are too. Train with them, encourage new people to give it a try, get a little boxing club going onboard. There isn't a huge amount to do on a ship once the working day has finished, having something like boxing to concentrate on will be a welcome distraction.

It's up to you to develop it from here. Look at your ship's program, find out where you are going and see if there are any foreign military boxing squads who fancy some joint training etc. The hierarchy onboard love shit like this, if you can get some publicity for the ship, they'll be more amenable to giving you time off etc. As Tiddly mentioned, if there is a big event back home that you should be taking part in, it's entirely possible that the ship may fly you home for it, if resources allow.

Eventually your ship will come home to base port where you can resume your training routine in the shoreside gym.

And that's it, you can do this for your entire career if you want. You never know, you might get really really good and get selected to represent the RN against the Army or RAF. You might get really really really good and get asked to represent the country in the Olympics. Stranger things have happened.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for the reply's, really good detailed insight, settles the nerves.
  15. Your description of Naval boxing training is wrong, more accurately it should read as follows:

1. Rock up and wait for 45 minutes for the swinger to turn up, get told to "Do some sit ups and stuff, you choose what kind" for 20 minutes. This may or may not be followed by a 3 mile self-led run if the weather is suitably awful. This ensures you get enough mud and crap all over the gym floor and canvass.

2. Open the boxing kit locker, gag at the stench and put on one of the knackered headguards that have a torn chinstrap and no padding left, if you're unlucky enough to not own your own gloves, don the ones that have rotted away to resemble a pair of tramp's mocassins and smell like anus, hopefully you will have a left AND a right if you get in there first.

3. Line up and depending on whether it's your turn to 'spar' or not:

4a. Get in the ring and have an all out fight with no weight class separation.

4b. Queue up to work the heavy bag as the speed bag and wall to ceiling are broken or use your initiative and do some pads whilst you wait for your turn to scrap.

5. Do this for 6 weeks.

6. Compete.

7. Sink or swim.

8a. Swim? Get trained properly.

8b. Sink? Never turn up again or play the role of sparring punchbag forever.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Character building stuff.
  17. It actually works, the space cadets don't last long.
  18. tiddlyoggy

If that is based on personal experience you have been extremely unlucky in your coaches.
    The ONLY bit I agree with is the stench of the kit, it is minging.