Sport in the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rossclark, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How hard is it to make it into a sport team in the Royal Navy? I have always enjoyed and felt i was fairly good at Basketball but i wasn't sure if the players already in the team are semi-proffesional or something.

Shoot me down if it's a stupid question you lot usually do! haha

Cheers guys.
  2. It's far different from any other walk of life to make it into a team in the Navy because...

oh sod it - I give up.
  3. bang bang i shot you down. :lol:
  4. Haha, thanks for trying mate.
  5. no but in all seriously mate am pretty sure my cousins in the navy rugby team or he was away playing rugby a weekend or two ago and he was never county level just the local club.
  6. Alright that's good then. Just i have never played for a club myself but have always enjoyed it and would like to take it further. Especially if it means trips away for games and training weekends etc.
  7. I see your point.

Someone else can always do your job whilst you're away can't they?
  8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do the Navy have a Rugby team? :D
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Indeed they do, often play the Fijian Army team :D
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Touche mon ami.
  11. We do and we always beat the RAF and then we get to Twickenham and end up playing the Fijians who give us a right mauling, but we always win the ale drinking competition in the car park. :wink: :lol:

Back to the original post, you will get plenty of opportunities to play sport whilst in the RN and if you are good enough, will get into the Navy teams such as; Football, Rugby, Hockey, Bobsleigh, Cricket, Ski team and even fishing!

Sport is actively encouraged in the RN, even if we are not as good as the Army at it, but then again, they are beer mice. :lol:
  12. Yeah, sport is big.

I was in the uckers teams on all my ships. Including dabbling in sh1t on your oppo, freckles, 2 deck dashing and running the gauntlet.

All encouraged by my D.O and skipper.