Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gid17, Nov 8, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just completed my medical examination for the Royal Navy. I had a spontaneous pneumothroax nearly 3 years ago. Everything else was fine but the doc said that this could mean dismissal. I have been researching and found some documentation that stated if no problems had arisen for 3 years I could be accepted. Is there anyone who knows if this is true? iThe doc has referred the case to the medical staff in Gosport so I am waiting their decision
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    • Braindead Braindead x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Presumably you've seen this already - paragraph 4D-07 refers. http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148207/

From what I remember, corrective surgery = OK after an appropriate period has elapsed. No surgery = No go.

Ultimately definitive guidance can only be given by a qualified service health professional once they are in possession of your full history relating to the condition. I'm not qualified in this area, but hopefully it gives you a realistic expectation.
  3. Thanks for your reply that is what I thought and I have read the link you sent. It was finding the 3 year without probs clause that I wondered whether was true?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Not seen any reference to three years, just the fact that unless corrective surgical procedure is undertaken it's a "no".
  5. Sorry to just pop up but was reading this and have some personal experience. I had 9 spontaneous pneumothorax' prior to joining. I have had no corrective surgery and it did not prevent my entry. Admittedly this was a few years ago so things might have changed. I'm permanently unfit for submarines, diver and aircrew but apart from that have had no issues.
  6. Many thanks for that. I am planning to get x-rays which may help my case
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Oh, you and your first hand experience and logical facts ;)

If it was spontaneous rather than traumatic and the procedures currently listed at the link above were not carried out then the odds are you would quite possibly no longer be able to join under the current entry standards. Obviously the standards do evolve but they do not apply retrospectively.

Over recent years the entry standards have been more rigorously applied and unfortunately those applying today will not be afforded the same degree of latitude previously applied. Likewise, once the individual has entered service, the medical standards that permit continued service & employability are a good deal more relaxed than for those yet to join the service.

Fingers-crossed, the OP meets the standard for entry by fulfilling the current entry standards.

Perhaps @angrydoc or @nemesis1066 may be able to add some further qualified advice.