splice the main brace

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by dogowen, Sep 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thanks for all the sprited replys. Perhaps someone can post the question to NATO and see if they can throw more light on the code origins.

Perhaps someone can throw some light on the questions I ask below'
    1] the code spreads of the flags as they progressed over the years are known [as chronicled in Cpt. Jinmmy Pack's book - 'Nelson's Blood'], but we need to ask the 'whys''
    * why were the strings/set chosen in that context of signal flags - ZTM, BX and ZD2&8. Was it a random willy nilly whim of the commander at signal HQ of the day ! I doubt it.
    * if not random, then we need to establish the significance of each set by flag choice.
    # ZTN - [original pre-war until 1951] =
    #BX - [1952 to 1974] =
    # AD2&8 - [1975 on --- ] =
    2] then why, the need for change, for such a frivilous set with no real bearing on the thetre of war in the need for secrecy.

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.
  2. Morning dogowen.

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about
  3. Ditto
  4. I wish I'd said that. 8O 8O
  5. Ditto that ditto.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Excellent first post dogowen 8O
  7. Thickoes.

It's obviously about flags or something.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

9. Until one of our comrades corrected me recently, I thought the hoist still was BX . Anyway, as to the reason for regular code changes, perhaps it’s a Naval tradition.
  10. That's brilliant by the way.

I thought it was BX.
  11. I always though the flag hoisit was Alpha Delta 28 for splice the mainbrace.
  12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The current code is AD28 (assuming that the "Buntings' Bible" Volume 2 hasn't changed in the last 3 years). Why the changes and the need for secrecy? It may surprise you to know that "Splice the Mainbrace" is not the only signal that the comms (and seaman spec too in today's navy) department are required to send - there's a whole signal book full of useful tactical signal groups dealing with manouevering (turns, wheels, speed, formations, etc), screens, entry/departure, minewarfare, flight operations, anti-air warfare, anti-sub warfare, surface warfare, material readiness and many other arcane subjects too - included in this book is a section on administrative signals which includes the "splice the mainbrace" group (hint, AD for admin). So to answer the question on changes... when ever the overall approach to tactical signalling is changed across NATO, there is a chance that the codes for trivial admin tasks such as cracking a bottle of bubbly will also change.

Moving on to the second question, why the secrecy - well from the opening sections of the good book (ie the "Buntings' Bible" Volume 2) it states that while the overall publication has a protective marking, the signal groups, being unchanging, effectively have no classification.

edited at least once for mong spooling and/or tryping
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah! The joys of watching the Bunting classes running around Mercury in the '60's with one arm raising and lowering to shouts of Corpen 9 or 9 Corpen, I remember watching them through the rain streaked classroom window and thinking to myself, I was right to join as a Sparker
  14. Don't you mean "The Dog's BX"
  15. Thanks so much for the sprited responce. Perhaps some one could forward my request for clarity on Splice the Main Brace code spread over the years, to NATO HQ for more clarity

16. Hello Norman! :roll:
  17. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

WTF Norman, thats worst than usual. :roll: At least there's a B-side to your record.
  18. Did as you asked and they sent back Foxtrot Oscar :lol:

Couldn't be much clearer really
  19. dogowen?

IM {not so} HO: dogowen = do go when

Answer = NOW