Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spinal Fracture, functionally insignificant?

UNSC-117

Hi everyone
In the past I have suffered a couple spinal fractures, spinous process and a small compression. These were very stable and healed quickly with no pain and no lasting effects years later.

I believe that any spinal fracture is an automatic bar to entry but after reading jsp950 677 under section 4 annex k it says "Candidates with resolved spinous and transverse process fractures, or functionally insignificant fractures, are FIT"

What would count as functionally insignificant? And if I had to appeal this what sort of evidence would be useful?
Thank you.

Sumo

War Hero
No body on here is medically qualified. Best to apply and go through the process with a recruiter, to find out if you are fit or not. Good luck.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I cannot answer your question. However, while serving I had a L4/L5 laminectomy (slipped disc operation). Just before I had a medical review with a discharge option, I was deemed fit, however, I suffered with lower back pain to varying degrees ever since. I also took part in lots of sports, even rugby, so hey ho! I could not stand for a long period without major discomfort, which meant that going on parade (divisions as we call it) was literally a pain in the ass!

Over the last couple of years my lower back has got much worse and I'm currently waiting to see a consultant for the way ahead, while washing down lots of Ibuprofen, Paracetemol, and Diazapam with whatever is at hand.......

Basic training is a physical experience at times and it is fair to say that you may encounter some back pain during this time. Only YOU know your current pain levels and endurance. Just remember that the middle of Dartmoor or another 'action module' may not be the best place to have severe back pain.

Good luck

Perry

Lantern Swinger
I cannot answer your question. However, while serving I had a L4/L5 laminectomy (slipped disc operation). Just before I had a medical review with a discharge option, I was deemed fit, however, I suffered with lower back pain to varying degrees ever since. I also took part in lots of sports, even rugby, so hey ho! I could not stand for a long period without major discomfort, which meant that going on parade (divisions as we call it) was literally a pain in the ass!

Over the last couple of years my lower back has got much worse and I'm currently waiting to see a consultant for the way ahead, while washing down lots of Ibuprofen, Paracetemol, and Diazapam with whatever is at hand.......

Basic training is a physical experience at times and it is fair to say that you may encounter some back pain during this time. Only YOU know your current pain levels and endurance. Just remember that the middle of Dartmoor or another 'action module' may not be the best place to have severe back pain.

Good luck
Snap ☹️

UNSC-117

Good luck
Thanks for you input. Yeah I get it will be physical but I have no pain whatsoever and regularly do lots of weightlifting and running so I'm sure it will not cause problems, hasn't done for years and didn't hurt at the time of injury either.

Latest Threads