Spiderman?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by bigbaddog, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "was" !

2. Excellent BBD, but the camera crew did well too eh?....What a crazy man (he was!)....

3. OMG that is incredible, its hard to believe that someone can actually do that!

Wonder if he was an actual stunt double for the film itself?

4. Read the Wiki entry, he's brown bread.

Nonetheless, pretty impressive

5. FFS Crystal!!! Does it matter what his vertical romping action is? Surely a horizontal romping action is better....? :twisted:

6. having spent many years rock climbing throughout the world i can only say that i see this bloke as a reckless fool. Soloing in itself IMHO is a stupid sport as one minute slip even on an easy route such as Poor mans peuterary at tremadog as in jimmy jewels case can have a devastating effect.

A friend and i were climbing at Stanage one Sunday morning when a lad decided to solo above the route we had chosen. My mate and i took exception to this and were told sarcastically by the bloke that "I'll go somewhere else seeing as this crags not big enough for us both" bear in mind that Stanage edge is over 5km long with over 1000 named routes to its credit.

:roll: :roll:

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. The guy may have been foolhardy, however he lived his life to the full and probably died doing the thing he loved best. His exploits pun no one but himself in any danger. Strange way to earn a living but it was his way. I think the world has lost an extremely brave young man.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I thought 'brave' meant doing something extraordinary in the face adversity? He did those stunts by choice. Yes, they are stunning, but he did not HAVE to do it! :?

10. Well SgtP dictionary definition is here

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brave

I agree he did not have to do it, however I would not have the guts to tackle something like that.
    By the same token Sailors who tackle the single handed round the world races do not have to do it. Are they brave or foolhardy?
    again the blind microlight pilot who tacked an epic flight, Brave or foolhardy?
    There are many instances which some will see as bravery and others as foolishness.

11. My point is that yes, its okay to do these things if the end result doesn't end in other people being affected, in his case his daughter and in mine the bloke falling and perhaps killing myself or my friend in the process. I dont give 2 hoots about the lad if he had fallen but you can be sure that i would have been criticised by other for not trying to administer medical attention.

NB

12. Take it the guy ended up snuffing it in the end then!

Please excuse my ignorance sometimes (Im usually 5 mins behind everyone else, Haha!)

13. He snuffed it 5 minutes ago Crystal! :) xx

14. Spider Man's new foe!
    [​IMG] :p

15. Brave is being scared shitless but going onwards.

I know a woman who walked over the rim of Sydney Harbour bridge but is frightened to walk through a field full of cows she was actually shaking.

Each to there own!!

Leading walks over hills and dales I meet all kinds of dickheads on my travels. From the family three thousand feet up with not a bottle of water between the family never mind foul weather clothing. Then we have peoples who have to go out and search for them. "Can you rescue me please I am on a mountain in Wales we passed a sign early on in welsh does that help at all, we have our mobile phone" .

Pilgrim Sunday[last Sunday in July] at Croagh Patrick mountain in Ireland we have thirty thousand peoples walking to the summit. Cries of I am hungry mammy responding they had there cornflakes for breakfast before leaving it is now in the afternoon. Not to worry the rescue people are about!!

Silly stupid people.

16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Dan Osman was no fool, a truly talented climber he was absolutely devoted to his sport everything else was just background noise including eating, working, home and family........................ however! He lost it, the problem was he was born with something wrong in his head, he had absolutely no fear of heights, the rest of us are born with a natural fear of heights as a defence mechanism, Dan never had it, he didn't understand it and spent his entire life trying to find it (fear) he pushed himself further and further to the point of the video where he would climb solo and practice the same climb repeatedly competing against the clock because no-one else was in his class. It's a sad story and shows what can drive people who aren't quite the same as the rest of us.

He used to do some crazy stuff with ropes, similar to bungi jumping but with a dynamic climbing rope, the whole thing relies on getting the physics correct, I tried it once, it scared the shit out of me and trashed a brand new rope (in fact now I reflect on it, it really scared me more than anything else I have ever done in my life and I haven't climbed outdoors since), it killed Dan Osman.