Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Richie, Oct 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Going back to the Newbies "Swimming Shorts" thread whereby, I (and one or two others) admitted reading many of the boring "back issues".

Well can I make the comment re: spelling, as spelling in many of the threads posted certainly leaves a lot to be desired. It makes boring reading and highlights the level of education accordingly. OK there’s not a spell check facility on the site - I apologise if I have over looked it. Any way cutting and pasting from “word†or other software is worth considering BEFORE submitting any comment.

It’s also worth mentioning that “typos†are generally very obvious.

Please make a concerted effort – one and all – check your spelling.
  2. I use Firefox, it has a spell checker. And its UK English, not "Have a nice day" rubbish.
  3. What I find, potentially, more worrying that the dreadful English, is that so many of the posters (who actually display the bad English) seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable and that it doesn't or shouldn't matter.
  4. I use the British Education System, worked for me so far.
  5. Then you are one of the few that it has worked for. The modern education system does not teach the English language correctly.
  6. *CHORTLE*

But joking apart, I fully agree.

Just in better English :thumright: .

7. I think it does. Unfortunately some don't take the correct attitude toward learning it and putting it into practice.

My English is very far from perfect but i make an effort.
  8. Bloody hell! Writing in the cadence that I was thinking - I don't usually fall into that trap... :oops:
  9. Theire aal dixloxic winkers eh!
  10. Funny you should say that, it doesn't seem to be working these days.
    It was only about 21 years ago that I left school behind me.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Iambic pentameter works fine for me.

Well, it would if I could count.
  12. After 2 years of A level English Literature talking about Iambic Pentameters and Iambic Tetrameters makes me have a Vietnam-flashback-like attack.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Goddammit, you mentioned "The 'Nam" [​IMG]
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

"What I find, potentially, more worrying that the dreadful English, is that so many of the posters (who actually display the bad English) seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable and that it doesn't or shouldn't matter."
    Agreed, you will find many posts on this subject if you look hard enough, it's not just picking on the Newbies, it is just laziness on their part (for the ones who try to be clever) for those who say they're crap at it anyway, fair enough, they are at least honest.
    PS- Didn't you mean "than the dreadful English"?
  15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Finding spelling my achilles heel in life, ask me to add or subtract and its a different story.

Anyway it took me one minute to find this, http://www.navy-net.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=264839.html#264839

Does this say anything about your education?

OK Lord Richie you rock!!!!!!! :w00t:
  16. Hence the comment three posts later?
  17. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Put your message across however you want,,,yes. Languages change and reinvent themselves.
  18. I must admit I view spelling as yet another of those Victorian inventians which were used to determine a persons class. Thus in a modern egalitarian society poople showd bi able to spull hoo thai lyke.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

'appen you have a point.

Given that Shakespeare seldom spelt his name the same way twice, it is possibly something best left to those with lots of spare time.

When I was at school calculators were frowned upon as the spawn of the devil by those that preferred logs, tangents, sines & cosines and twiddling with the infernal slide-rule.

The modern day scourge is txt spk of course. Now we all seem to have a computer with a spell checker, rather than berate poor spelling perhaps we should berate those that don't use the checker.
  20. The main thing that really gets up my nostrils is the 'txt' type spelling or construction of sentences and most of the youngsters seem to think that is the norm these days.

I have always been lucky in that my 'England' is not too bad, but I have never been one for figures, except for the 36-24-36 type. :) ;-)