spell check

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by pongoshaggy, Jan 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. could some body give my flyer the once over ,i start my fund raising next week and need to get my arrse in gear ,please excuse ugly pongo on poster

2. If you were being particular, I always put two spaces after a full stop and one after a comma! And you are right about the ugly pongo!

Only joking petal!
  3. thought i'd say it before wet blobby gives me s**t,cheers
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Do you want picky, or grammar police? Some of it is a bit subjective but here's how I would have done it.

In May 2007 Cpl Marcus Selvey was injured in an explosion whilst serving in Afghanistan suffering a total of 8 fractures in his right leg and foot. Help for Heroes' task is to raise money toward building a swimming pool and gym complex at Headley Court; the tri-service rehabilitation centre at Leatherhead. Our servicemen deserve the very best facilities to help them recover from their terrible wounds, by supporting HELP FOR HEROES you can do something to show that you appreciate them. Marcus is taking part in a sponsored bicycle ride through France to raise money for this worthy cause: PLEASE HELP.

How much do you want to bet that I made a spelling error somewhere? :dwarf:
  5. And you have not put 2 spaces after the full stops.
  6. Looking good mate, although i'm sure HEADLY Court is actually HEADLEY COURT.
  7. chieftiff

I did, it just doesn't look like it: one space after a coma, semi-colon or colon and two after a full stop. :afro:
  8. Ok smart arse.
  9. chieftiff

Read my version, should I have marked all the changes in red?
  10. No, you shouldn't have made any changes at all.
    He asked for a spell check, not a "Look how much better I am at this than you" contest :)

That was a joke by the way :)
    I didn't notice on your version to be honest.
  11. Oh for goodness, stop waving your willy around.
  12. Oh do shut up!
  13. If the flyer is intended for public consumption I suggest that Cpl be spelt out in full, after that his name only
  14. No, shant. And your avatar has saggy pants.
  15. Yeah?
    Well, erm, I hate cats!

How d'you like THEM apples!
  16. Looking at the map; if he changes his return route slightly North-East he could follow in the footsteps of thousands of other Pongos and leave France via Dunkirk :bball:

17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Shaggy, mention that you have been through Headley Court and are trying to "give something back"

The photo actual makes you look handsome (ish), your far uglier in the flesh.

By the way meet you at HQ for beers later.
  18. Have you read this?

"One woman, believed to be in her 30s, was so incensed that the soldiers - many of them amputees having returned from conflicts in the Middle East and Asia - were using the pool that she told them that they did not deserve to be there.

It is alleged that she told the men that she pays to swim there and they do not. According to witnesses she was so abusive that the soldiers' instructor pulled the groups out of the water to avoid further embarrassment."

FCUKING BITCH - it's a shame the instructors didn't pull that fcuking low life piece of sh!t out of the pool and rip her a new ARS£HOLE.

VERY VERY ANGRY RANT !!!!!!!!!!!!! :threaten:
  19. I know that area well and there are some pretty serious hills along the route. Once you get up on to the plateau at the back it is a bit easier with largely traffic free roads.
    French drivers too are much more tolerant of cyclists than in the UK. Plus the Normans by and large are fond of the Brits.
    Cpl should be spelt out in full I reckon, and the spaces and punctuation as suggested; otherwise it is fine.
    Going via/near Dieppe at least he'll be able to see the site of another right royal cock-up, and a victory at Arques la Battaille just outside the town (Henry V) on his way to Agincourt.
    Good luck to him.
  20. chieftiff

We've now been sat around at work discussing the appropriate use of plural possessive apostrophe's, semi-colon, colon, capitalisation and abbreviations for over an hour........I'm bored, I want to go home :dwarf:

I've just been looking at your map Shaggy, there seems to be an awful lot of underwater cycling! Are you setting realistic goals here? :rendeer: