Speeling suggestions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Karma, Aug 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Reuters

LONDON (Reuters Life!) - Embaressed by yor spelling? Never you mind. Fed up with his students' complete inability to spell common English correctly, a British academic has suggested it may be time to accept "variant spellings" as legitimate.

Rather than grammarians getting in a huff about "argument" being spelled "arguement" or "opportunity" as "opertunity", why not accept anything that's phonetically (fonetickly anyone?) correct as long as it can be understood?

don't know about anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned it just opens up huge opportunity for even more ambiguity in language.

2. Its a way of giving up.
    Government has failed in its vain attempt to teach children literacy over the past 10 years, so why not make it ok? I know that this Professor (he makes a mockery of the term in my opinion) has nothing to do with the government, but like I say, its a way of giving up.

What next? Knife crime is ok because at least it wasn't a gun that was used?

3. Language, both pronunciation and spelling are constantly evolving and some words used 50 years ago will have changed beyond recognition. Look at the word gay; happy - Homosexual - Naf - all within the past 20 ish years.

4. I agree with Karma. I have come across this suggestion about using phoneticism before, about 15 years ago when another academic (maybe the same one) made a similar proposal. All it will do is compound existing problems as we see daily on RR! Whilst language does evolve (the mark of a living, thriving language) this should not be conflated with poor English or the acceptability of. The sloppy use (or misuse) of language is responsible for many misunderstandings. Anyone who has read Paul in the original Greek, in toto, can affirm that! Meanings alter when they are isolated and (mis)represented out of context. Spelling errors can lead to misinterpretation in later years, as evinced by comparing the first edition of James Joyce's Ulysses with the latest edition, where the text has been corrected!

Having said that, I'm always using split infinitives! ^_^;

5. So how should we deal with the influx of american spellings? Color/specialize etc. Are they wrong just because we, the UK, have the same word but spealt another way?

6. They are American English, or US English, not British English. We may understand each others meanings but we spell differently. You know, divided by a common language and all that.

Evolution of a language is NOT the same as "dumbing down" because our teaching methods are incorrect.

7. Apart from giving lexicographers a pain in the butt,
    the suggestion is little more than another milestone
    on the road to dumbing down those things in which
    we once took pride.

Jerry

8. They are a pain in the bottom when you are having to tag your photographs (with metadata) in Photoshop CS3 prior to posting them online. You need to include the US as well as the English spellings so that searchers can locate your images. :evil:

9. As the old saying goes:

America and England, two nations separated by a common language.

As English was developed in Britain then the British spelling and usage of the language is always correct.
    However it is a living language so therefore is constantly evolving, hence the addition of new words to dictionaries.
    Spelling and the correct usage of grammer however over the past couple of decades has been allowed to decline rather too far.
    Lets have the English language taught to a reasonable level in our schools, and that includes both grammer and spelling

10. Do you mean we are getting it wrong in our schools? What's come about in the last 20 years that has caused that change?

11. Text talk, mobile phones and rap. :pukel:

12. Are you saying it isn't? What do you base that on?

13. As far as English and American English is concerned, we have 2 options. We can take pride in ours and take the trouble to learn it and pay due regard to its "rules; or we can say sod it, who cares, their's is cool and happening man! It also grips mine that we seem to bend over backwards to accommodate and translate their linguistic peculiarities without it happening in the reverse direction. How often do you see our papers/journals refer to the US Defense Department? How often do you see in their's UK Ministry of Defense? Answers on a postage stamp.

Thingy. As I'm sure you will appreciate, "commercial" expediency is not an excuse for diminished standards. It's a pain but I'm sure it's preferable to becoming one of them!

Like many of you, I see this as another surrender to ignorance and mediocrity. It's interesting that an oppressed or subjugated Society or Race takes intense pride in its own language (you Jocks, Paddies and Taffs will remember that!) and the oppressor often tries to suppress it. Arguably, we have become so indifferent to our Culture that we can now become indifferent to our language. Another triumph for the British multicultural experiment?

14. 1.Listening to the way the English language (spoken) is abused and misused by many of the younger generation (12 to 25). :toilet:

2. Reading the input from the newbies. :pukel:

3. Reports from employers do nothing to dispute these facts, they reinforce them. :thumright:

15. Right but there's nothing there to say it's the fault of the schools. Kids pick up language skills from almost every aspect of their environment and I am not suprised when this influence impacts whenever they open their mouths.

However, I think it is unfair to lay the blame at the feet of the schools who do work hard to churn out a well rounded student. Mind you, by the time they finish year 10 they're already making their own decisions about how they want to be seen and treated.

16. Or even Grammar Slim!

2BM

17. OOOOOOps................Guilty as charged :thumright:

18. fwiw I spotted it and thought it was intentionally ironic

19. fwiw I missed it ^_^;

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are three main things wrong with standards in the current education system:

1. English
    2. Meths

:wink: