Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Joint_Force_Harrier, Jan 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got a ticket through the post, camera got me just outside Kettering doing 36 in a 30 (road changing from 40-30).

Looks like I'm going to be offered the Speed Awareness Course, anybody done one?
  2. Yes; sit there, look interested, don't argue and you avoid 3 points om your licence. No money saved, of course, but isn't that tedious.

3. Yes, I did one a couple of years ago............. worth it just to avoid the 3 points on licence.... From what I understand, only 'culprits' who are just above the limit (like yourself and myself) are offered these courses.... if you were doing 40-50, you'd just get fined/charged/endorsed, whatever. Mine cost £72, I figured if I took the fine (£60) I'd get 3 points on the licence, so for the sake of £12 I took the course. On a more serious note, they do show you how dangerous those few extra mph can be, nothing like a few scary videos..... it could have been my kid/grandkid that got run over ! Do it !!!!!
  4. The 30mph limit is there because it was originally thought that the speed was the utmost a pedestrian could cope with.
    What is important is that those more vulnerable road users may not be able to cope with the speed you were driving - in a country where pedestrians have no superior rights, despite their vulnerability, than other road users.
    Do the course and learn a lesson.
    It may be worth remembering that in other countries pedestrians have absolute priority and to collide with one is regarded as a type of attempted murder; worse if they die.
    You've been lucky!
  5. Do the course.
    Costs more than the fine, but you don't get any points.
    Its not an arduous course, I did one about 2 years ago. Although I went to it thinking it was going to be PC B###ox I came away actually having learned some things and also forced to remember a few things I had forgotten since taking my test.

Oh, and don't get caught again for at least 3 years! if you do its an automatic fine and points. After the 3 year point you are eligible to attend another should you 'slip' over the speed limit again. Check this bit for local rules 3 years may be a Hampshire thing.
  6. How long between going through the trap and the paperwork arriving?

I`ve been sweating for 3weeks
  7. Lucky you. It is a requirement that the NIP be issued within 14 days of the offence being committed. Looks like you have got away with it.

Have a nice day
  8. one good thing about being here for the last 12 years...........all my points have gone!

My husband was driving when he saw the flash of a traffic camera.

He assumed that his picture had been taken for exceeding the limit even though he knew that he was not speeding.

Just to be sure, he went around the block and passed the same spot,
    driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now he began to think that this was quite funny, so he drove even slower as he passed the area once more, but the traffic camera again flashed.

He tried a fourth and fifth time with the same results and was now laughing as the camera flashed while he rolled past at a snail's pace.

Two weeks later, he got five summons in the post for driving without a seat belt.

You can't fix stupid.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thats not always correct, there are exceptions to the 14 day rule.
  11. I must remember that when i'm next on a zebra crossing in wogo wogo land where I suddenly feel like an endangered species.
  12. 4 bloody days!!! Photo paper was prob still wet!!!:sad5:

13. OK ok, SOME other countries!
  14. My son is in the navy and therefore I am normally just a reader to this forum. However I have registered so that I may possibly help with this query on this post.

Recently my son was on his way back to base and got done for speeding. As he was away for a while I dealt with the letter for him.
    I admitted the claim on his behalf but explained the circumstances (ie my son was away in the navy and unable to respond for some weeks). I also stated that as a result of his absence I could not get hold of him to obtain his driving licence details.
    I then sent this off to the relevant authority (the offence was committed in Coventry).

Nothing more has been heard and it has been 3 months now.

Might be worth a try.
  15. Welcome to the site.

The 2nd time I got done (by camera) I was at sea by the time the paperwork came through, the wife contacted them straight away as there is (was?) a time limit to respond. The authorities gave me an extension and sent the paperwork on to the boat which I got when we were next alongside. On the down side it was the only sodding maily I got that trip!!!!

16. Doesn't it have to be within 14 days....www.pepipoo has some helpful hints
  17. Several guys at work were discplined a couple of years ago for ligitimately speeding through speed traps en-route to an incident.

Turned out they were caught giving the finger to the camera..... Just no sense of humour these speed phot developers.