speed

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by carlm, Jun 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know what speed setting you have to put the treadmill to do the 1.5 m pjft in the allocated time as i have only been doing it on the roads and thought i should get some practice in using a treadmill

2. I worked it out at about 16kph.

3. Nice on thanxs

4. If the treadmill is set at 16.0 kph you will finish the PJFT in 9.00 mins.

If the treadmill is set at 14.4 kph you will finish the PJFT in bang on 10.00 minutes. Which I believe is the new PJFT max time.

Bear in mind though they usually make you get up to the speed you want to run at manually by pressing the button. This takes time I would allow 20 secs max.

Running at 16.0 kph for ten minutes straight is quite difficult unless you are a strong runner, all you need to do get the tick in the box so pace yourself but never drop below a certain speed say 14.6. For example run at 14.6 for 6/7 minutes ten whack it up to 16kph which is the max on most machines and run like fcuk!

Allow for the cock factor also the so called Personal Trainer that witnessed mine was a total prat most are ok and will advise you on what speed to run at but above is just about what you need to know.

Good luck, when is it?

Wulf

5. Soon I hope had to get a tooth pulled out so had to waits 2 weeks to get that done, thought all was good until I realized he had left some of the tooth in my gum which may I add was very painful, so then had to go the dental surgery to get cut out I then had to take a letter to the afco to say my teeth where ok done this last weeks so just waiting for the letter.

6. Not sure of the pace required, but I would suggest you set the incline to around 5 degrees to add some realism to the test?

7. I was going to post somthing similar soon,i passed my medical yesterday and hopefully will have the PJFT soon. I only just found out the time is now 10 mins,should be ok,but its quite a quick pace for me.Do people often fail the test does anyone know?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You get three attempts Sam.

To be honest though, if you want to be a Commando, 10 minutes is a more accurate indication on how well you're preparing for PRMC. We seldom got any fails when it was 10 mins 45 secs, but still got lots of fails on the 3 mile run on PRMC.

Time will (literally) tell on this, but I'm only aware of one or two fails now it has reduced to 10 mins, si the answer is "not many".

9. In answer to your question mate, Yes. People do and always will fail the PJFT. However with the correct preperation, anyone serious about joining up should pass!!

10 mins might seem fast, but in reality its a fairly steady pace, especially in trainers rather than boots!! ( I am assuming you are running it in trainers?)

For the Royal Marines mate I would definitely aim for under 10 mins and look to imrove on this time gradually as the weeks go by. A good way of imrpoving your time is to try Fartlek and Interval training

Fartlek: When training, vary your running speed from a slow jog to a steady run, to a full sprint! A good way of measuring this is using the streetlights (ie sprint between the first two, jog the second two etc)

Interval: 800m running track. run at full speed around the track, then stop and have 60 secs rest and repeat until you throw up!!

Personally I would avoid the treadmill like the plague!! Get out and run the streets and go cross country as much as possible!! Getting the miles under your belt is the best way to improve your fitness, although cycling, swimming and circuit training are also very good!! Also try and incorporate hill sprints into your regime!!

Spenny

10. FFS sam there is in my trade 'white coat fever'? I think you have had a dose of it? Congradulations for passing. Are you OK now??

Sorry am doing my best cyber-beasting! Sam get some....

11. you have to be able to run under 10minutes if you want to pass the prmc as well. Its a 1.5m run as a troop in 12.30mins with an individual best effort back where there is a steady inclination throughout (1.5), not getting below 10mins will mean you will fail (and then ultimately you will fail the prmc on the first event) , plus before the run you get a wee warm-up :thumright: so make sure your mile and a half time is a good'en before you go

12. Ninja_Stoker

Hi Darren, (welcome),

I thought after a brisk "warm-up" the run out (1.5 miles) was to be completed as a squad in around 11.30 to 12.00, with a run-back at under 10.30. Overall maximum time 22 mins 30m Secs.

I'm happy to stand corrected, just checking I'm saying the right thing.

13. yes you are right, i stand corrected

14. Ninja_Stoker

No problem mate, I was only worried in case I was giving the wrong advice to my candidates.

The thing to remember is that the pass/fail criteria changes regularly & it's important for those candidates applying & those advising to keep each other up to date.

For example: Apparently ALL attending PRMC now have to have a pre-joining fitness test (PJFT) certificate indicating the individual has completed the PJFT in under 10 minutes- despite the fact the individual may have a valid certificate (less than 12 months old) under the "old" time of under 10mins 45 secs.

So you see, even those of us (me) that think they know, sometimes don't!

15. So much for thinking this thread was about drugs.

16. Ninja_Stoker

psst.....

Nah, sorry mate.

17. I think you'll find that thread over on ARRSE mate :thumright: .they all seem out of it over there to me, either that or they're all high on the smell. :clap: x.x
    NZB

18. Hasn't anyone heard of going for a good long walk.
    Done frequently it can bring about all the consequences of the treadmill and with less expense.

19. MEEAAAOOOWWW!!! :thumright:

20. Easy, got my claws sharpened yesterday. :cat:
    NZB