Speed Limits through Motorway Road Works

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Oct 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just completed another journey from Wokingham to Llannelli by road, mainly on the M4 I have lost count of the number of road works that are currently on this motorway. Of course all of them have a speed limit most of them 50 MPH but one has a 40MPH limit.
    Before anybody says that these limits are required to protect the workforce I will say that I am in favour of limits while the workforce is working. However most of the time there is no workers working on these sites.
    Surely in this day and age with all the electronic gadgetry it would be a simple matter to switch the limits on while their is work in progress and off when there is no work.
    Any ideas?

2. Got to agree with this - in Kent (M2) there is a limit of 30mph, and there were no navvies working on the day I went through :?

But with all the taxes due to be shunted onto us, will there be any cars on the roads (apart for minister & crony ones of course :wink: )

3. these limits are required to protect the workforce

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Here in Canada they define "Construction Zones" - speeding in such zones with the workforce present results in a doubling of fines (and they rely on real policemen for enforcement, not PC Gatso).

5. As I said I fully agree but WHAT WORKFORCE?

6. If the area is coned then there is work in progress and they are there for a reason just because you didn`t see any workforce didn`t mean they wern`t there, the could have been down a hole or gone for a piss, who knows, who cares?

……

7. Well I care, seems like all the workforce are either down a hole or on the piss.
    I reiterate I fully support speed limits when the workfarce is working. However the majority of the time especially at weekends the workfarce seems to be on the piss.
    Surely these limits could be electronically controlled and only enforced when men are working? I am not asking that they de-cone the stretch just allow traffic to flow safely & quickly when work is not in progress

8. Those roadworks have been there for over a year

Just how long does it take to erect some signs for goodness sake

The crawler lane west of Bath was open for less than a month before they coned it off

Useless idiots all of them

Why aren't contracts let on the basis of 24/7 working with bonuses for quick finishes to an acceptable standard?

The work is designed to cause massive queues

9. Motoway works with 40 mph limits enforced by "average speed" cameras are probably self financing. I think we should be told.