Speed Limits through Motorway Road Works

slim

War Hero
Having just completed another journey from Wokingham to Llannelli by road, mainly on the M4 I have lost count of the number of road works that are currently on this motorway. Of course all of them have a speed limit most of them 50 MPH but one has a 40MPH limit.
Before anybody says that these limits are required to protect the workforce I will say that I am in favour of limits while the workforce is working. However most of the time there is no workers working on these sites.
Surely in this day and age with all the electronic gadgetry it would be a simple matter to switch the limits on while their is work in progress and off when there is no work.
Any ideas?

Got to agree with this - in Kent (M2) there is a limit of 30mph, and there were no navvies working on the day I went through :?

But with all the taxes due to be shunted onto us, will there be any cars on the roads (apart for minister & crony ones of course :wink: )

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
slim said:
Having just completed another journey from Wokingham to Llannelli by road, mainly on the M4 I have lost count of the number of road works that are currently on this motorway. Of course all of them have a speed limit most of them 50 MPH but one has a 40MPH limit.
Before anybody says that these limits are required to protect the workforce I will say that I am in favour of limits while the workforce is working. However most of the time there is no workers working on these sites.
Surely in this day and age with all the electronic gadgetry it would be a simple matter to switch the limits on while their is work in progress and off when there is no work.
Any ideas?
Here in Canada they define "Construction Zones" - speeding in such zones with the workforce present results in a doubling of fines (and they rely on real policemen for enforcement, not PC Gatso).

Muffler

Badgeman
If the area is coned then there is work in progress and they are there for a reason just because you didn`t see any workforce didn`t mean they wern`t there, the could have been down a hole or gone for a piss, who knows, who cares?

……

slim

War Hero
Muffler said:
If the area is coned then there is work in progress and they are there for a reason just because you didn`t see any workforce didn`t mean they wern`t there, the could have been down a hole or gone for a piss, who knows, who cares?

……
Well I care, seems like all the workforce are either down a hole or on the piss.
I reiterate I fully support speed limits when the workfarce is working. However the majority of the time especially at weekends the workfarce seems to be on the piss.
Surely these limits could be electronically controlled and only enforced when men are working? I am not asking that they de-cone the stretch just allow traffic to flow safely & quickly when work is not in progress

SailbadTheSinner

Lantern Swinger
Muffler said:

……
Those roadworks have been there for over a year

Just how long does it take to erect some signs for goodness sake

The crawler lane west of Bath was open for less than a month before they coned it off

Useless idiots all of them

Why aren't contracts let on the basis of 24/7 working with bonuses for quick finishes to an acceptable standard?

The work is designed to cause massive queues

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Safeguarding directions for High Speed 2 Phase 2a MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government provides construction sector certainty by confirming 'Notice to proceed' on High Speed 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New-build homes to come gigabit-speed ready MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £38 million Homes England funding to speed up development of over 2,000 homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major A12 upgrade to speed up journeys and improve safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to simplify and speed up modern slavery referrals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill: English Votes for English Laws MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Solar, high speed and wifi charging set to revolutionise electric transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: High Speed 2 Phase 2b update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government to fund and speed up vital cladding replacement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils self-driving trucks set to speed up roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Progress at Euston as HS2 completes key demolitions on site of London’s new high speed station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £63 million boost to speed up construction of new homes in West Sussex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 100 rural schools to get gigabit speed broadband MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Second additional provision to the High Speed Rail (West Midlands – Crewe) Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: M6 speed increase in time for Christmas getaway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plans to speed up new homes held up with new developer contribution rules MoD News 0
1 Treadmill speed for PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
taffscrivs HGV Speed Limit to be raised. Current Affairs 6
T Speed, Distance and Time - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Mail: "You Are Clear For Take-Off - Cormorant Feels The Need For Speed on Lusty" The Fleet 9
finknottle Commando 999 Speed March in London 10th Nov 2012 The Corps 1
Pontius Ramming Speed Mr Christian Diamond Lil's 3
S Gary Speed Current Affairs 18
Bad CO Commando999 Speed March Marathon The Corps 1
I OASC - Speed Distance Time Practice - iPhone App Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
finknottle London half-marathon speed-march The Corps 0
soleil Navy News: "Full Speed Ahead For Monmouth In Paradise" The Fleet 0
C Dont speed in Georgia Motoring 9
The_Caretaker Speed Limit Miscellaneous 0
Soothsayer move to new AFCO to speed up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
Drakey Speed Cameras The Quarterdeck 16
O EUROSTAR- High Speed International Rail The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
finknottle Commando Speed March Spean Bridge The Corps 4
Haggis_Catcher speed camera detectors Motoring 5
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
T Running Speed Health & Fitness 13
TheCommunicator Devon and Cornwall - mobile speed camera Motoring 30
P Proposed Reduction in National Speed Limit Motoring 19
Waspie New speed sensors in Poole Motoring 0
L Speed time distance - your opinion (not so much a how to!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
sgtpepperband UK Speed Camera Database The Internet - Best and Worst 3
H Commando speed March Spean Bridge 2009 The Corps 4
K Is the speed of your progress relivent to how many nighs.... RMR 10
M New Travian Speed Server & ARRSE Alliance Gaming 9
mikey_boi Yomping/Speed Marching The Corps 1
F Speed Cameras... Diamond Lil's 47