Speed Cameras...

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
If a Constable (that is the holder of the sworn office of a Constable, nothing to do with his rank in the Police) thinks he can prove you were 1 mph over the limit and wishes to charge you HE CAN. If the matter is allowed to proceed to court and or the Magistrates decide to convict is a different matter, but the plus or minus 10% etc are not LAW.


Nutty
I don’t see how this can be the case. Car speedometers can indicate + or – 10% of actual speed. If you’re in a 40 mph area and your Speedo is + or - 9% (i.e. within allowable tolerances), then if you think you’re being a good boy and driving at 38 mph, you could be travelling at nearly 41.5 mph.

:rendeer:
X4nd

You did not read my posting correctly,

Nutty
Nutty

I must learn to read and understand the difference between charge and convict. D-oh, sorry.

:dwarf:
 
Common sense.........................
Working in the oil industry - the drilling side - we still actually use "common sense" although this is systematically being erased by the H & S monkeys! We milled a radioactive pip tag ( a pip tag is a very weak gamma ray source of 1mCi of 60cobalt) at about 14,000ft - told to collect samples of the drilling mud to send to town to be checked for radioactivity! WTF!! Pointed out to H & S plonker that "surely it should be checked at source" and also that Aberdeen beach at Foot Dee was more radioactive than the pip tag! Result; lots of red faces and common sense prevailed and sampling ceased.
Helps being an ex killick stoker where CDF was a pre-requisite and not being afraid to point out a crock of siht procedure.
Common sense - bring it back!! :thumright:

Whilst driving common sense should be used at all times, come to think of it - common sense should be used ALL the time!
 
alhucoll said:
Common sense.........................
Working in the oil industry - the drilling side - we still actually use "common sense" although this is systematically being erased by the H & S monkeys! We milled a radioactive pip tag ( a pip tag is a very weak gamma ray source of 1mCi of 60cobalt) at about 14,000ft - told to collect samples of the drilling mud to send to town to be checked for radioactivity! WTF!! Pointed out to H & S plonker that "surely it should be checked at source" and also that Aberdeen beach at Foot Dee was more radioactive than the pip tag! Result; lots of red faces and common sense prevailed and sampling ceased.
Helps being an ex killick stoker where CDF was a pre-requisite and not being afraid to point out a crock of siht procedure.
Common sense - bring it back!! :thumright:

Whilst driving common sense should be used at all times, come to think of it - common sense should be used ALL the time!
And when driving a distinct sense of self preservation helps, combined with the proper approach to handling the machine in the first place..
Though not a great fan of the present day police I do have them to thank for giving me the latter, and it has stuck like mierda to the blanket.
All the best
 
You get away with speed limit +20kmph over here, cameras are grey and face you, so you know when you've flashed.....cos you're blinded by the bugger.....lots of mobile camers too, the cops put them on tripods and hide behind roadworks, hoarding, other cars....crafty wee buggers.

AED200 for speeding, but no points...at all......
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Trooped_Again said:
You get away with speed limit +20kmph over here, cameras are grey and face you, so you know when you've flashed.....cos you're blinded by the bugger.....lots of mobile camers too, the cops put them on tripods and hide behind roadworks, hoarding, other cars....crafty wee buggers.

AED200 for speeding, but no points...at all......
Typo? Is that KPH or MPH?! :? By the way, not all speed (sorry - safety!) cameras flash - some are IR digital, so you don't necessarily know you've had your image taken... :wink:
 

Busta-Gut

Midshipman
They (the guv'ment) tried using cameras on one of the main highways here (Toronto and area) but gave up when everyone bitched about it.

The only cameras you see now are the red light cameras in trouble spots downtown. Not a bad idea really because of all the red light runners.

To me, speeding has always been subjective, what's too fast on one road may be too slow for another. 30mph in a school zone is fair whilst 30mph in a non-built up area is not.

But what really grips my shite is when the cops target "easy pickin" zones to fill their daily/monthly quota instead of policing accident spots that would benefit from a police presence etc.

Incidentally, the cops for the past twenty years or so have been stopping and ticketing drivers who warned other drivers (by flashing their lights) about upcoming radar traps . Someone challenged this in court and lo-and -behold it turns out that it's been a bullcrap charge all this time. Go figure.
 
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
If a Constable (that is the holder of the sworn office of a Constable, nothing to do with his rank in the Police) thinks he can prove you were 1 mph over the limit and wishes to charge you HE CAN. If the matter is allowed to proceed to court and or the Magistrates decide to convict is a different matter, but the plus or minus 10% etc are not LAW.


Nutty
I don’t see how this can be the case. Car speedometers can indicate + or – 10% of actual speed. If you’re in a 40 mph area and your Speedo is + or - 9% (i.e. within allowable tolerances), then if you think you’re being a good boy and driving at 38 mph, you could be travelling at nearly 41.5 mph.

:rendeer:

If you check the current Construction& Use Regulations it will show that a speedometer must be accurate to within -0% to + 10% so there is no way you are showing less than your actual speed.
You Know It Makes Sense!
 
Given most modern speedometers are electronic, not operated by cable, and are linked to the ABS system which depends on accurate speed monitoring, then I'd say that modern ones are pretty much bang on.
What isnt bang on is the vague graffics used on the instrument we see; sometimes so vague it is hard to see exactly what speed you are doing.
On this subject then can sometimes please tell me why so many heater/AC controls demand you take your eyes off the road to adjust them.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakey The Quarterdeck 16
S Motoring 30
lamptramp63 Current Affairs 21

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top