Speed Cameras...

slim

War Hero
wet_blobby said:
Slimey camera ship [email protected] where on the severn bridge this morning, covering the 50mph zone, just where everyone is looking at signs and thinking about lanes/money etc.

Never known an accident there, maybe the odd shunt at the pay booths but not on the run up to them the theiving w'nkers.
They are always on the bridge and the Welsh section of the M4

One mile over the limit does qualify as an offence.
Police forces regularly allow ten percent+two, they may even allow more and obviously sometimes do. But, they are not obliged to do this.
You just never know and cannot be sure. It seems strange that there seems some sort of unwritten agreement that the motorway speed limit is actually 80. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being done for doing less?
Bear in mind that speedos on many modern cars are accurate. A lot more accurate than in years gone by as the ABS system is linked to it. Many cars these days do not have the old cable mechanism, nor do many throttle pedals, they are electronic.
Be thankful as in the greater Barcelona area the maximum speed limit is 80kph (around 50mph) even on ten lane motorways (of which there are many). By and large speed limits in the UK are much more generous than in other countries; not only speed limits, drink driving laws are also less strict and there are no real random tests.
What the police here do is publish the acceptable variation on speed limits to allow for error so that everyone knows. In the UK you simply do not.

The reason for the "unwritten agreement" is probably something to do with the fact that at 70, 10% + 2 mph = 79, therefore prosecutions normally begin at 80. If plod stopped everyone doing 80 they would never go home.

We never even used to bother anything under 90 - there's always enough people doing that speed anyway on the M4 - so why bother the 80s

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Maxi_77 said:
general_jumbo. said:
doesnt the construction and use regulations regarding private vehicles allow a + or - 10 % accuracy discrepancy ?
But the speed limit is different to the regulations on the speedometer, you can drive carss made before sometime in the 30s without a speedometer quite legally, but you must still keep to the limit
Correct, exceeding the speed limit is what is known as an ABSOLUTE offence, that means there is no requirement to prove mens rea (intention or recklessness), purely that the act is committed
Contributor Mode

Sussex said "One mile over the limit does qualify as an offence" Well yes it does I am afraid.

KLM is exactly correct, and he has been studying these matters very recently, the offence is absolute and the speed limit is what the sign says 20,30,40,50,60 or National Speed Limit 70 not the stated speed plus some extra. The extra given maybe part of Local, HQ or Home Office instructions but they are not the LAW. If a Constable (that is the holder of the sworn office of a Constable, nothing to do with his rank in the Police) thinks he can prove you were 1 mph over the limit and wishes to charge you HE CAN. If the matter is allowed to proceed to court and or the Magistrates decide to convict is a different matter, but the plus or minus 10% etc are not LAW.

Nutty

NotmeChief

Banned
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
NotmeChief said:
fly_past said:
My mate got bagged by a mobile speed camera (money makers if ever there were such items) doing 41 in a 40 mph limit. He coughed to the incident (he was pulled over by police further down road) and he got the fine in the post yesterday. He will pay it as he was speeding - allbeit by 1 mph...
I came out with the line of how to dodge the speed cameras - dont exceed the limit. After all it is a limit and not a target to aim for. He got pissed off with me... how unfair is that?

Still, I did deserve it, after all I was laughing, andnot faced with the fine, and the upping of his insurance renewal in May!
Sorry but your mate is full of bullshit. No police car speedo is that accurate and no private car speedo is that acurate either. There is an allowance. A pound over or under inflation in the tyres will make the speedo show different to what you are doing.

As much as I detest the police, they wouldn't get away with charging someone exceeding the speed limit by 1 mph.
You are incorrect - some Police vehicles (normally traffic cars) are fitted with calibrated speedometers that are frequently checked over a measured distance and time to ensure their accurancy - such speedo's are usually provided by a company called IRS with a calibration certificate to be exact.
I don't think anyone has said the speedo is not correct, but tyre guages are not and a slight difference in tyre pressures will make the indicated speed wrong.
I would challenge any attempt to convict on something as low as 1mph, which no self respecting constabulary will issue on anyway.

seafarer1939

War Hero
Think it's crap you can't get it callibrated that fine besides we are informed their is a 10% excess on speed cameras.
You can do 44mph on a 40 zone 77 in a 70 etc.
Theres a guy in the Sunday Mirror[solicitor] writes about this and that should be the case according to him.
I'd take it to court and get the ociffer to prove his hand and arm wasn't shaking at the time in this cold weather.
He would win.

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
If a Constable (that is the holder of the sworn office of a Constable, nothing to do with his rank in the Police) thinks he can prove you were 1 mph over the limit and wishes to charge you HE CAN. If the matter is allowed to proceed to court and or the Magistrates decide to convict is a different matter, but the plus or minus 10% etc are not LAW.

Nutty
I don’t see how this can be the case. Car speedometers can indicate + or – 10% of actual speed. If you’re in a 40 mph area and your Speedo is + or - 9% (i.e. within allowable tolerances), then if you think you’re being a good boy and driving at 38 mph, you could be travelling at nearly 41.5 mph.

:rendeer:

sussex2 said:
One mile over the limit does qualify as an offence.
Police forces regularly allow ten percent+two, they may even allow more and obviously sometimes do. But, they are not obliged to do this.
You just never know and cannot be sure. It seems strange that there seems some sort of unwritten agreement that the motorway speed limit is actually 80. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being done for doing less?
Bear in mind that speedos on many modern cars are accurate. A lot more accurate than in years gone by as the ABS system is linked to it. Many cars these days do not have the old cable mechanism, nor do many throttle pedals, they are electronic.
Be thankful as in the greater Barcelona area the maximum speed limit is 80kph (around 50mph) even on ten lane motorways (of which there are many). By and large speed limits in the UK are much more generous than in other countries; not only speed limits, drink driving laws are also less strict and there are no real random tests.
What the police here do is publish the acceptable variation on speed limits to allow for error so that everyone knows. In the UK you simply do not.

Good news the 80kph limit has been abandoned except for a few routes. Why? Because people simply took no notice of it and so many people went through the new cameras (no prissy nonsense here they are speed cameras, not some half arsed 'safety partnership) that the system could not cope, those cameras that had not been vandalised that is.
It was crippling business and in this country that is a very important; transport is taken seriously.
Also, there are elections coming up ... hint hint for when you have them near you!
It was a popular revolt, something thel locals are expert at.
States need a bit of anarchy to keep them in line..

slim

War Hero
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
If a Constable (that is the holder of the sworn office of a Constable, nothing to do with his rank in the Police) thinks he can prove you were 1 mph over the limit and wishes to charge you HE CAN. If the matter is allowed to proceed to court and or the Magistrates decide to convict is a different matter, but the plus or minus 10% etc are not LAW.

Nutty
I don’t see how this can be the case. Car speedometers can indicate + or – 10% of actual speed. If you’re in a 40 mph area and your Speedo is + or - 9% (i.e. within allowable tolerances), then if you think you’re being a good boy and driving at 38 mph, you could be travelling at nearly 41.5 mph.

Time for you to get a new calculator. If your speedo is + or - 9% then the error is + or - 3.6 MPH.

x4nd said:
Nutty said:

Nutty

X4nd

You did not read my posting correctly, the Law is the stated speed limit lets say a 40 mph zone, not 40 mph plus sum mathematical allowance to cover tyre pressure, temperature, officers hand shaking etc it is 40 mph.

As I said now in red if a person who holds the office of Constable thinks he can prove it was 41 mph then he can charge you. It is up to the court if find you guilty or dismiss the matter if it ever reaches court.

Also it use to be practice in some areas that speeders were summons to court charged with a speed after the allowance had been removed, for example if it was 35 mph in 30 mph limit then they would charge you with speeding at 32 mph giving evidence that their equipment read 35 mph but they had given you a 10% allowance making your speed 32 mph and so breaking the law. I do not know if that still happens.

Having recently driven over 1000 miles in two weeks in the UK just about everybody I saw speeds. My car, LHD Spanish Registration has no MPH speedo so I just used the KPH for the road speed limits in Spain matched to the type of UK roads i.e. Motorway 120K. Town 40K

Nutty

Nutty, I think alot of the speeding you witnessed (but by no means all) is due to the bewildering amount of times one stretch of road can have the speed limit changed on it.

One stretch I was on today in the salisbury area was jumping between 30-50-40-30-50-30 for about 4 miles, bloody crazy, set the limit at 40 and be done with it.

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
x4nd said:
Nutty said:

Nutty

Time for you to get a new calculator. If your speedo is + or - 9% then the error is + or - 3.6 MPH.
There’s me thinking I’d got these percentages thing me’s sussed. Car travelling at 38 mph, 38/100 gives 1% (0.38), times that by 9 gives 9% (3.42), add to original speed (38 mph) giving 41.42 mph (or nearly 41.5) or have I got that completely wrong?

:dwarf:

fly_past

Lantern Swinger
fly_past said:
My mate got bagged by a mobile speed camera (money makers if ever there were such items) doing 41 in a 40 mph limit. He coughed to the incident (he was pulled over by police further down road) and he got the fine in the post yesterday. He will pay it as he was speeding - allbeit by 1 mph...
I came out with the line of how to dodge the speed cameras - dont exceed the limit. After all it is a limit and not a target to aim for. He got pissed off with me... how unfair is that?

Still, I did deserve it, after all I was laughing, andnot faced with the fine, and the upping of his insurance renewal in May!
I went to see my mate yesterday afternoonat his home and asked to see the fine - he couldnt produce it... he admitted that he made it up. I asked him why then he had 'twatted' me for it then? He apologised and we went to the pub - he bought all the beers (i drank oJ and lemonade). Still good to see the comments here - Shame my mate didnt fess up straight away.
Am still peeved with him.............. and why didnt I twat him back? He is way too big for me to escape that alive as he does Ju Jitsu (green belt) and I used to years ago!!

slim

War Hero
x4nd said:
slim said:
x4nd said:
Nutty said:

Nutty

There’s me thinking I’d got these percentages thing me’s sussed. Car travelling at 38 mph, 38/100 gives 1% (0.38), times that by 9 gives 9% (3.42), add to original speed (38 mph) giving 41.42 mph (or nearly 41.5) or have I got that completely wrong?

:dwarf:
Please accept my apologies x4nd. It seems that I have misread your post. I originally believed you meant a car travelling at 40 MPH not 38 MPH. Your calculations are of course spot on.
Please accept a £60 fine and 3 endorsement points :thumright:

Daktari

Banned
As one who was doing a lot of Motorway driving in strange areas and as I am not one to be light of foot when it comes to the go faster button .. I went and bought a "road angel" which sits on the dashboard and tells me where those pesky safety camera .. sorry cash cows .. are. Not only that I have it set on maximum range and it gives me about 1 Km to slow down if it detects radar from front or back - positively screams at me if it detects one. End result nil points on the licence so highly recommended.

There is also some guy who I think is on the internet who is very good at defending speeding offences .. as SPB said earlier .. there are lots of loop holes in the system and this guy knows them and is willing to pass on the information for a small fee.

edited for dyslexic fingers!

I'm on my second Road Angel in six years and in that time have had ZERO points - you can really drive with this bit of kit. I can recommend it to anyone.
Set at 1Km for fixed cameras, mobile sites and blackspots, it works brilliantly giving you lots of time to adjust your speed and reactions accordingly. It also warns continuously when you are in a "Specs" area (time over distance cameras), these cameras are becoming more prevalent.
Yes, I speed and I also slow down and obey the speed limits - common sense prevails with areas and road conditions, a time and place for putting your foot down.
I carried out the IAM test a few years back, being an old biker seems to help as you do seem to have a bit more awareness than the average car driver; I learned a lot of pointers that made my driving more consistant (and faster) but also safer.
Al
I hate and despise the "safety cameras" as cash cows - very few seem to be in legitamate sites - one near me is on a stretch of downhill dual carriageway with no "danger" zones even remotely close.......................

alhucoll said:
I'm on my second Road Angel in six years and in that time have had ZERO points - you can really drive with this bit of kit. I can recommend it to anyone.
Set at 1Km for fixed cameras, mobile sites and blackspots, it works brilliantly giving you lots of time to adjust your speed and reactions accordingly. It also warns continuously when you are in a "Specs" area (time over distance cameras), these cameras are becoming more prevalent.
Yes, I speed and I also slow down and obey the speed limits - common sense prevails with areas and road conditions, a time and place for putting your foot down.
I carried out the IAM test a few years back, being an old biker seems to help as you do seem to have a bit more awareness than the average car driver; I learned a lot of pointers that made my driving more consistant (and faster) but also safer.
Al
I hate and despise the "safety cameras" as cash cows - very few seem to be in legitamate sites - one near me is on a stretch of downhill dual carriageway with no "danger" zones even remotely close.......................
Ye gods man! You mentioned something that is as dead as the Dodo - common sense - are you not aware of that? Where have you been the last ten years or so? :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakey The Quarterdeck 16
S Motoring 30
lamptramp63 Current Affairs 21