Speed Cameras

It now appears that in West Lothian, there is so much damage being done to Speed Cameras that they are to introduce Cameras to spy on the Cameras, anyone care to guess how many cameras will be watching other Cameras in twenty years time.

As a retired Traffic Cop I can only add that Cameras are there purely for Revenue purposes as they have little effect on road safety, contrary to what HM gov state.A few weeks ago I travelled from Dundee to Aberdeen a distance of about 70 miles of dual carriageway and there were 7 cameras in each direction, ( there might have been more but I was running out of fingers) to add insult to injury on approaching Aberdeen and also Dundee on the return there was a mobile camera van sited presumely to mop up any offenders who missed the aforementioned cameras.Cameras are cheaper to run and will get more cases than a cop but there is no discression irrespective of road conditons or the time of day.

I don't know about now, but some years ago there were 29 speed cameras between Newcastle and Edinburgh on the A1. Not all were functional, but some certainly were.

I used to trunk that road overnight, and in the end lost my licence for 6 months (and hence my job) for doing more 50mph with an artic on a 60mph single carriageway road at 2am.

The cameras were set at 66mph. The truck's limiter was set at 54mph. Then they reset them at 54mph for trucks and coaches. Got caught twice on the same night that they reset them with a lot of other guys before we realised what they had done.

Then again i got caught twice more in a force 9 gale by two cameras just a mile apart. I was doing 50 & 51mph. It wasn't the truck's speed that set 'em off. It was the spray from the truck.

Still got done though.

When they offered me my HGV licence back I told them where to stuff it. I'd already bought my boat.

I got nabbed by the local plod doing sixty when they reckoned it was a forty zone. Having a zoomer of a bike made things worse it was always shout and yell, til the helmet came off then they could see they had a old timer and not some young kid!!

Turns out the local council had changed the speed limit without firstly consulting the MOT who decide if it warrants changing. So I was let off with that one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakey Speed Cameras The Quarterdeck 16
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
F Speed Cameras... Diamond Lil's 47
lamptramp63 Chief Constable victim of own Speed cameras Current Affairs 21
slim Speed Cameras and there result on drinking & driving. Diamond Lil's 27
S Speed Cameras Motoring 24
Shakey Avoiding speed cameras Current Affairs 12
MoD_RSS Speed mentoring event coming soon! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for increase in speed through roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Safeguarding directions for High Speed 2 Phase 2a MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government provides construction sector certainty by confirming 'Notice to proceed' on High Speed 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New-build homes to come gigabit-speed ready MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £38 million Homes England funding to speed up development of over 2,000 homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major A12 upgrade to speed up journeys and improve safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to simplify and speed up modern slavery referrals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill: English Votes for English Laws MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Solar, high speed and wifi charging set to revolutionise electric transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: High Speed 2 Phase 2b update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government to fund and speed up vital cladding replacement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils self-driving trucks set to speed up roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Progress at Euston as HS2 completes key demolitions on site of London’s new high speed station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £63 million boost to speed up construction of new homes in West Sussex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 100 rural schools to get gigabit speed broadband MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Second additional provision to the High Speed Rail (West Midlands – Crewe) Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: M6 speed increase in time for Christmas getaway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plans to speed up new homes held up with new developer contribution rules MoD News 0
1 Treadmill speed for PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
taffscrivs HGV Speed Limit to be raised. Current Affairs 6
T Speed, Distance and Time - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Mail: "You Are Clear For Take-Off - Cormorant Feels The Need For Speed on Lusty" The Fleet 9
finknottle Commando 999 Speed March in London 10th Nov 2012 The Corps 1
Pontius Ramming Speed Mr Christian Diamond Lil's 3
S Gary Speed Current Affairs 18
Bad CO Commando999 Speed March Marathon The Corps 1
I OASC - Speed Distance Time Practice - iPhone App Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
finknottle London half-marathon speed-march The Corps 0
soleil Navy News: "Full Speed Ahead For Monmouth In Paradise" The Fleet 0
C Dont speed in Georgia Motoring 9
The_Caretaker Speed Limit Miscellaneous 0
Soothsayer move to new AFCO to speed up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
O EUROSTAR- High Speed International Rail The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
finknottle Commando Speed March Spean Bridge The Corps 4
Haggis_Catcher speed camera detectors Motoring 5
T Running Speed Health & Fitness 13
TheCommunicator Devon and Cornwall - mobile speed camera Motoring 30
P Proposed Reduction in National Speed Limit Motoring 19
Waspie New speed sensors in Poole Motoring 0