Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed Cameras and there result on drinking & driving.

lamptramp63 said:
.................. stuck in traffic a bike filtering to the front of the queue annoys some ..............

In London, it's some of these bikers that cause the problems, not by 'filtering' but by weaving in and out (at some speed in some cases) of the queue to get to the front.
In the building where I work, it overlooks a very busy crossroads, and some of the verbal exchanges between car drivers and bikers do get very vitriolic, to say the least.
Having said that, the worst drivers here are the bus divers, particularly the bendybus, and cabbies and white van drivers, who seem to think that they own the roads.
As a driver myself, I try to keep an eye open for all on the open road, but some of the bikers appear to think that they are not subject to the speed limits - perhaps it should be considered that a refresher driving/riding course be made compulsory to all vehicle operators at regular intervals - with all other restrictions being placed on us, this cannot be too far off into the future perhaps ?

lamptramp63 said:
Must agree with Flagwaver, too many motorists do not see or totaly ignore bikers,I was lucky to be Police trained and served 16 y as a bike cop, during this time even when going to a RTA with Blues and Siren I was T boned by an ignorant bitch who pulled from the stationary traffic into my path and it was goodbye to another polis beemer. As previously mentioned Drivers cause the majority of accidents. I Know when stuck in traffic a bike filtering to the front of the queue annoys some but the answer is get a bike ( they are better trained as a bike licence is hard to obtain) and get there quicker even by sticking to the speed limits.As for cameras they are a Cash Cow for the Police/Local Authority ,they have no safety value,do not detect more serious motoring offences and have no discetion regarding time of day ,weather or traffic conditions etc.Traffic Patrols in Strathclyde are rare nowadays as the TD has been halved in strengh over the years from aprox 10% of the force to less than 5%.

I understand your point I used to cycle to work every day, and if you think a big bike is invisible try a push bike. Having said that there are many cyclists that are the cause of their own misfortune, as are I'm afraid many bikers. There was the one who sat 5 feet from the back of my car in the blind spot following me through the lake district for several miles, there are the ones that regularly veave through heavy traffic who only escape because the average car driver sees then coming and keeps out of their way, there are the ones you meet coming round the corner trying desparately to get back onto their side of the road on what shold be quiet country roads certainly going faster than is safe even if they are below the limit. There are certainly some police areas where they are seeing a rise in the proportion of self induced bike fatalities.

I know there are plenty of pratts in cars and vans, but bikers are not all perfect or innocent, and to suggest there would be no accidents involving bikers if other road users kept out of their way is just arrogance. The very arrogance that is killing some bikers.

slim

War Hero
I started my motoring life at the age of 16 on two wheels. I didn't bother with a car licence until I was 23. However I consider my years as a motorcyclist taught me a lot about road craft and a lot more about vulnerability. It's amazing how many car drivers do not seem to be aware of those on two wheels (motorcycles and bicycles) the normal excuse is "Sorry I didn't see you".
I believe that everyone should spend at least six months riding a moped before being allowed anywhere near a car.

slim said:
I started my motoring life at the age of 16 on two wheels. I didn't bother with a car licence until I was 23. However I consider my years as a motorcyclist taught me a lot about road craft and a lot more about vulnerability. It's amazing how many car drivers do not seem to be aware of those on two wheels (motorcycles and bicycles) the normal excuse is "Sorry I didn't see you".
I believe that everyone should spend at least six months riding a moped before being allowed anywhere near a car.
Exactly ,admitted some bikers are the cause of their own demise as modern bikes have race like acceleration and top speed,some riders forget the throttle goes two ways. The strange thing today is that a lot of the deceased are born again bikers or 40+ who now have the cash for the rich mans toy. Their relative inexperiance and the high power machine can cause the rider to freeze when an unexpected hazard occurs.
I do believe the car driving test should be bought more onto line of todays bike test then perhaps general driving standards would improve. The IAM instruction for both 2&4 wheels would be to everyones advatage

slim said:

There is a lot of merit in your suggestion, though I can see some problems in actually ensuring they actually got the required experience. The ones who did it would of course benefit, but unfortunately the ones who found out how to avoid it are the ones who really need the experience.

Pirellibelli

Midshipman
sussex2 said:
Pirellibelli said:
I've been driving for 30 years and have nil pints on my licence and never have. I probably won't either, maybe I've been lucky. The reason for this is that I drive within the law. If you speed then you deserve to get points and a fine and if you speed you always speed.

On the subject of speed cameras, I'm not a huge fan and I suspect that a small number are placed with the intention of gaining revenue. However, the vast majority are placed in locations where there have been a high number of serious injuries and fatalities, caused primarily by speed.

As for policing the roads, when was the last time you saw Traffic Police patrolling the motorways and major routes? You will be hard pressed because this Government have reduced the numbers over the years and want them getting away from their core roles. You will find them in towns and cities attending anything from domestics to burglaries in progress and anything else that needs addressing.

Unforunately, cameras don't catch dangerous or reckless driving, impaired
or disqualified drivers which Traffic Police can.

So to prevent yourself losing your licence, slow down and be safe.

You drive within the law all the time? Not ever, never inch across a speed limit.
Never cheekily park to nip into a shop?
Such willpower is to be admired I suppose.

I get my kicks driving a T5 at 155mph on the motorway in uniform.....ofcourse I drive within the posted speed limits, I'm not above the law you know! :tp:

slim

War Hero
Pirellibelli said:
sussex2 said:
Pirellibelli said:
I've been driving for 30 years and have nil pints on my licence and never have. I probably won't either, maybe I've been lucky. The reason for this is that I drive within the law. If you speed then you deserve to get points and a fine and if you speed you always speed.

On the subject of speed cameras, I'm not a huge fan and I suspect that a small number are placed with the intention of gaining revenue. However, the vast majority are placed in locations where there have been a high number of serious injuries and fatalities, caused primarily by speed.

As for policing the roads, when was the last time you saw Traffic Police patrolling the motorways and major routes? You will be hard pressed because this Government have reduced the numbers over the years and want them getting away from their core roles. You will find them in towns and cities attending anything from domestics to burglaries in progress and anything else that needs addressing.

You drive within the law all the time? Not ever, never inch across a speed limit.

I get my kicks driving a T5 at 155mph on the motorway in uniform.....ofcourse I drive within the posted speed limits, I'm not above the law you know! :tp:

Of course police officers are not above the law. However one newspaper (sorry I can't remember which one) recently published figures for the number of police who broke the law but were not prosecuted.
Suppose it's perks of the job.
Bit like high court judges :pukel:

Pirellibelli said:
sussex2 said:
Pirellibelli said:

Having had some pretty extensive training myself I can tell you that you must at times slip, even momentarily, over a posted speed limit; the momentary innattention that can have you caught by a speed camera, whilst latent bad driving cannot be detected by a speed camera.
The judicious use of speed can, as you well know, help you keep decent separation from other traffic and the all important safety-space around your vehicle.
Even a car such as a Citroen C4 equipped with a speed limiting device has a certain amount of lee way on the speed you dial in. As indeed can any form of transport.
I completely agree that the innapropriate use of speed is the largest cause of collisions (I don't call them accidents) on the road; irrespective as to whether that speed is within a posted limit or not.
I am not sure it is wise to admit that you get your kicks doing 155mph in a Volvo in uniform, you'll have the green lobby after you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakey Speed Cameras The Quarterdeck 16
S Average speed cameras Motoring 30
F Speed Cameras... Diamond Lil's 47
lamptramp63 Chief Constable victim of own Speed cameras Current Affairs 21
S Speed Cameras Motoring 24
higthepig Speed Cameras Diamond Lil's 6
Shakey Avoiding speed cameras Current Affairs 12
MoD_RSS Statement of reasons command paper for the High Speed Rail (West Midlands to Crewe) Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost for artificial intelligence in NHS to speed up diagnosis of deadly diseases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary launches new Acceleration Unit to speed up transport infrastructure projects and build back better from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovative new pilot launched to speed up access to key services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speed mentoring event coming soon! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for increase in speed through roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backed projects to speed up life-saving cancer diagnoses MoD News 0
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Safeguarding directions for High Speed 2 Phase 2a MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government provides construction sector certainty by confirming 'Notice to proceed' on High Speed 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New-build homes to come gigabit-speed ready MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £38 million Homes England funding to speed up development of over 2,000 homes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major A12 upgrade to speed up journeys and improve safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to simplify and speed up modern slavery referrals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: changes to speed up payments and new guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS High Speed Rail (West Midlands - Crewe) Bill: English Votes for English Laws MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Solar, high speed and wifi charging set to revolutionise electric transport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: High Speed 2 Phase 2b update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government to fund and speed up vital cladding replacement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Highways England unveils self-driving trucks set to speed up roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Progress at Euston as HS2 completes key demolitions on site of London’s new high speed station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £63 million boost to speed up construction of new homes in West Sussex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 100 rural schools to get gigabit speed broadband MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Second additional provision to the High Speed Rail (West Midlands – Crewe) Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: M6 speed increase in time for Christmas getaway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plans to speed up new homes held up with new developer contribution rules MoD News 0
1 Treadmill speed for PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
taffscrivs HGV Speed Limit to be raised. Current Affairs 6
T Speed, Distance and Time - AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Mail: "You Are Clear For Take-Off - Cormorant Feels The Need For Speed on Lusty" The Fleet 9
finknottle Commando 999 Speed March in London 10th Nov 2012 The Corps 1
Pontius Ramming Speed Mr Christian Diamond Lil's 3
S Gary Speed Current Affairs 18
Bad CO Commando999 Speed March Marathon The Corps 1
I OASC - Speed Distance Time Practice - iPhone App Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
finknottle London half-marathon speed-march The Corps 0
soleil Navy News: "Full Speed Ahead For Monmouth In Paradise" The Fleet 0
C Dont speed in Georgia Motoring 9
The_Caretaker Speed Limit Miscellaneous 0
Soothsayer move to new AFCO to speed up? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
O EUROSTAR- High Speed International Rail The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
finknottle Commando Speed March Spean Bridge The Corps 4
Haggis_Catcher speed camera detectors Motoring 5