speed camera

slim

War Hero
Sorry CD but things have changed for all motorists over the last 40 years.
There really is no excuse for bad driving, especially a truck travelling at 51MPH pulling out in front of a car doing 70MPH on a two lane motorway as happens all the time. Yes everything comes by truck. Isn't it time for a rethink? trucks for local deliveries. Railway for perishable goods and freight. Canal system brought back into use for non perishable non urgent goods.

andym

War Hero
If you see a Scamera and feel that its not in an approved site as laid down by law,you can report it and fill in an e form so it can be forced to be removed.

Look at www.abd.org.uk

general_jumbo.

Midshipman
slim said:
There really is no excuse for bad driving, especially a truck travelling at 51MPH pulling out in front of a car doing 70MPH on a two lane motorway as happens all the time. Yes everything comes by truck. Isn't it time for a rethink? trucks for local deliveries. Railway for perishable goods and freight. Canal system brought back into use for non perishable non urgent goods.

werent a couple of pilot schemes tried the other year restricting hgv's to the nearside lane ? I've never seen the results

slim said:
There really is no excuse for bad driving, especially a truck travelling at 51MPH pulling out in front of a car doing 70MPH on a two lane motorway as happens all the time.
No it doesn't.... not ALL the time!

I could just as easily moan about the numerous motorists who nearly miss their junction slip road in bad weather because they're driving far too fast for the conditions in the third lane, and cut in front of trucks in the second and first lanes, hitting their brakes before swerving off over the hatch markings, almost too late.

It happens too... but not ALL the while.

slim said:
Yes everything comes by truck. Isn't it time for a rethink? trucks for local deliveries. Railway for perishable goods and freight.
Too late. Blame Beeching.

slim said:
Canal system brought back into use for non perishable non urgent goods.
Mostly too shallow... can't carry the weight and causes quadruple handling. You can't load a boat with a fork-lift truck. That's why the canals failed against the railways and roads.

The few waterway based transport operations that still exist are either on the deep rivers or are heavily subsidised for political ends, like aggregate carrying on the lower Grand Union canal.

Slim, there's good and bad in everything and every group. There's good and bad truckers, good and bad motorists (by heck have I seen some diabolical behaviour!) and good and bad in every ethnic group. There's even good and bad in old matelots.

The terms 'tar' and 'brush' come to mind.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
15/19

I travelled on the M6 toll this afternoon for the first time ever. It was virtually empty, not a lorry to be seen and not too many cars. Journey was a breeze (although expensive) until I rejoined the M6 proper where it became gridlocked. I am not endorsing road pricing (I signed the petition) as I believe that we already pay for each mile we travel through fuel tax and the less fuel efficient our cars, the more we pay. Besides, a few years ago the motorist was paying something like £30 billion in fuel tax and road fund licences but only £6 billion was being ploughed back into the road network. I don't know what the current figures would be but I'm sure that if the government was happy to misuse the money we motorists provided then it should use the money it has already collected from us for that purpose instead of stinging us for more.

I think part of the problem with road congestion, apart from that which this government has deliberately engineered to cause us the most inconvenience possible (i.e. crap phasing of traffic signals, reducing the width of roads, reducing national speed limits from 60 down to 50 or 40, putting bus stops in places where it is impossible for cars to pass, road humps, speed cameras in places that are not necessary but just revenue grabbing devices, etc), is that we are a small island with an ever increasing population, especially with increased migration, and everyone wants or needs to travel for work & recreation, or move goods from one end of the country to the other.

Many people are priced out of the housing market, especially in places like London so need to commute from further afield. The trains are ridiculously expensive and jam packed at the times most people need to use them, so much so that the train operators are intending to remove toilets so there is more room to stand.

If the railways are at capacity or the trains don't actually take us where we want to go there is little alternative but to use the car. One of the big problems with the road network is the amount of freight being transported by lorries. The volume of trucks on the roads is horrendous and I think one of the biggest causes of congestion. Slim is right in that more freight should go by rail but what about if more goods were transported by air to regional airports and then distributed by smaller delivery vehicals? Surely that might help relieve some of the problem, if only a little.

In the end I truly believe that current plans for making us pay more to use the roads is just another method in which this government seeks to remove more and more of money from our pockets. This is a government that finds ever more cunning ways to tax us. You know the truth of this. The government is determined to make the rich poorer and keep the poor poor. If the government is able to make those at the lower end of the economical scale dependent on the state for handouts, benefits etc then they are more likely to vote for the party that is giving those things to them.

Cash for honours, benefits for votes.

The rant is not over, I'm just pausing for breath. :evil:

kingoftwigs

War Hero
OK ready for another rant! Every weekend I am home I drive from Plymouth to Manchester, M5, M6 and every time I get fcuked up by lorry drivers trying to overtake going up hill or the worlds slowest drivers being forced into the fast lane because of lorry drivers 'convoying'. When I was a kid my best mates dad was a lorry driver and the times that we used to get up at stupid o clock just to go for a drive with him were made worthwhile cos it was always a good time. Maybe if we car drivers stopped giving the lorry drivers a hard time they will stop fcuking the roads for us. Just an idea ;^)

kingoftwigs said:
OK ready for another rant! Every weekend I am home I drive from Plymouth to Manchester, M5, M6 and every time I get fcuked up by lorry drivers trying to overtake going up hill or the worlds slowest drivers being forced into the fast lane because of lorry drivers 'convoying'. When I was a kid my best mates dad was a lorry driver and the times that we used to get up at stupid o clock just to go for a drive with him were made worthwhile cos it was always a good time. Maybe if we car drivers stopped giving the lorry drivers a hard time they will stop fcuking the roads for us. Just an idea ;^)
There ya go pal....

If we all get off the high horses (me too) and think about this... trucks ain't gonna go away... not without everything suddenly becoming much more expensive.

So... we all have to learn to get on together. And, lets face it, despite some of the drips on here, most of the time we do. I am no longer trucking, thank gawd, but when I was most of the time I loved it, in spite of the problems. But then mostly I was on heavy plant haulage... much more fun than general haulage.

One of the main ways you can tell that trucking has changed is the number of lady truckers there are about nowadays.

In my day the only, very few and far between, 'lady' truckers were awsome amazons! If you've ever tried to rope and sheet a load in a high wind and heavy rain, you'll understand why.

I bet 99% of truckers on the road today don't even know what a 'dolly' is..... but I suppose that is no bad thing.

I remember hauling my first tautliner. I was king of the road!

whitemouse said:
If it was speed that the powers that be were really interested in lowering, then they'd utilise the electronic warning signs advising you to lower your speed, - but we all know that it's revenue they are after, but only from British drivers, as they can't be bothered to chase the foreign perps.
You can chase foriegn perps all you like but unless you change UK law and either make people pay at the road side like France and Spain or have a EC wide law to have the fines enforcable cross border, Oh I forgot you lot do not like EC Laws. Then you can go whistle as I tell them on the odd occassion I return to UK in my non UK reg. car.

Now in France they wait at the toll barriers near Calais, take your ticket, check the time and place of your point entry against a crib sheet and if you were over 130K average you get a ticket. Well they do it to the Brits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The moral is "Don't be late for your ferry"

Nutty

Further to that the Goverment are trying to force you onto public transport but lets us look as the basic cost of travling from Sawbridgeworth, Herts. near Stanstead Airport to Faslane by train, air and car door to door. A journey I have done many times as my brother lives near bye.

Train including some waiting times. 11 hours cost £140. Air 6 hours £115
Car door to door carry how much you like in your own little warm dry bubble. 9 hours £35.

NO BRAINER REALLY

Plase do not give all the costs of the car tax, insurance etc cos you are going to pay that even if the car is at outside you house.

NUtty

PS SORRY In the car I can also take four people by train or air multiply cost by a a factor of four less taxi fares. £500 and £400

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drakey The Quarterdeck 16
Haggis_Catcher Motoring 5
S Motoring 30