Speech: First Sea Lord’s remarks ahead of the centenary of the Battle of Jutland

Seadog

War Hero
These lofty military positions are appointed by government and 'approved' by HRH and with the rare exception they will all tow-the-line to some degree.
'HM' and ' toe the line'. Apart from that your credentials are strategic.

oakum

Midshipman
'HM' and ' toe the line'. Apart from that your credentials are strategic.

How very thoughtful of you, I did wonder what your duties entailed. Having watched the programme last night, it would appear that Beatty was a swaggering peacock and a scoundrel,whereas Jellicoe was an officer and a gentleman.

Last edited:

Seaweed

RIP
Book Reviewer
As to 'situational awareness', his distrust of Naval Intelligence formed a greater cloud than the hundred belching funnels...

A cheap shot.

Having been misinformed by the Admiralty to the effect that Scheer was still in the Jade, and sent other somewhat stale info that conflicted with what was being reported by his cruisers, it's hardly surprising that Jellicoe was a bit chary of what he was being told from London.

It is also to the point that the Admiralty failed to pass an absolute indication (an intercepted request for Zeppelin reconnaissance) that Scheer's chosen route home was via the Horns Reef.

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
A cheap shot.

Having been misinformed by the Admiralty to the effect that Scheer was still in the Jade, and sent other somewhat stale info that conflicted with what was being reported by his cruisers, it's hardly surprising that Jellicoe was a bit chary of what he was being told from London.

It is also to the point that the Admiralty failed to pass an absolute indication (an intercepted request for Zeppelin reconnaissance) that Scheer's chosen route home was via the Horns Reef.

The cloud of misinformation... I should have said 'justifiable distrust'.
Oliver and Jackson had a lot to answer for.

Last edited:

MichaelBully1

Badgeman
Indeed. I think that the Royal Navy in 1916 were dealing with mines, torpedoes, U boats, and working with different materials from Trafalgar. But certainly at the time there was the huge expectation that the Navy should have inflicted a devastating defeat on the High Seas Fleet.
But if the latter are trying to lure the Royal Nay towards minefields or in line of U boats then the 'Trafalgar' scenario is not possible.
There's also the question of a whole mythology invested in the battle of Trafalgar in any case. It would take another ten years to defeat Napoleon . and by October 1805 the invasion scare was over .

I think he's being a bit hard on Jellicoe in suggesting that we could have had another 'Trafalgar'.

Forcing battle on an enemy whose entire immediate aim was to avoid it was, in my view having read up on Jutland quite a bit recently, impossible.........

B

Billy Q

How very thoughtful of you, I did wonder what your duties entailed. Having watched the programme last night, it would appear that Beatty was a swaggering peacock and a scoundrel,whereas Jellicoe was an officer and a gentleman.

I recall my father telling me (he served for 31 years before being killed in the early days of WW2) that all was not loggerheads between the two. Being decorated and bedecking themselves in bling was a priority. Beatty to Jellicoe--or the other way round on publication of the New Year's Honours where one of them received a second Knighthood--" Once a Lord always a Lord--But twice a knight is enough" Apocryphal? I know not.