Speech: David Mundell addresses Cycle to Syracuse participants in New York

MoD_RSS

War Hero
“As I said when we hosted a reception at Edinburgh Castle a couple of weeks ago, Colin and I met over a year ago at the King’s Arms hotel in Lockerbie and to come from the King’s Arms in Lockerbie to the centre of New York City is quite something. I’m sure they do have some similarities but I’m not sure what they obviously are at this moment.

“I am tremendously supportive of this initiative. I think it is really really important that not only do we respect and pay homage to the families of the 270 people who lost their lives on the 21st December 1988 and everybody else who has been caught up in those events over the last 30 years but also that we do look forward. That’s very much what the Cycle to Syracuse has been about. It is about combining those two important elements, remembrance, respect and looking forward and strengthening and deepening our relationship and friendship with Syracuse University, with the wider community there and indeed with all relatives of the 270 victims. I’m really pleased this year to learn the ribbon ceremony which I am hoping to be part of tomorrow that there will be ribbon for each of the 270 victims because to me Syracuse University has become so much an emotional centre for those events. A place of comfort for relatives and a place where people can reflect on those events but also for new and positive relationships, new friendships and I think that is a really really important role that Syracuse is playing.

“I do feel a little bit of a fraud in relation to the efforts of the guys because I waved them off in Lockerbie on a very wet day and then I met them again at Edinburgh Castle never having set foot on a peddle. I’m here at this halfway point in the journey likewise never having set foot on a peddle and I know you’ve done the hard work. I know from the reports back from Oliver how well received you’ve been by relatives, by friends, by people who want to know more about these events and want to make sure that they are marked in a proper and respectful way.

“I think this Cycle to Syracuse will have been for many very cathartic in terms of just being able to deal with issues, of being able to speak about some of those events. I know back home in Lockerbie, speaking to some people before I came out, for some people this is the first time in 30 years they have been able to speak about events which happened to them that night or immediately thereafter. I think that that is a really positive thing, an opportunity for people really to, as I say, in terms of the Syracuse motto, look back but act forward.

“I think that the cycle has done something on so many different levels. It has been an appropriate and respectful marking of the 30th anniversary of these events. It has been an opportunity for the community in Lockerbie to move forward to a certain extent. It has been an opportunity to strengthen and deepen our friendship with Syracuse University. It has been an opportunity to celebrate the 58 young people from Lockerbie who have already had the opportunity to come to Syracuse and look forward to many more coming to the university. I want myself without having any focussed thought to use it as an opportunity to strengthen those bonds between our community, Syracuse and indeed the friends and families of all of the 270 victims.

“On that basis it gives me a great deal of pleasure to wave the guys off on this next leg. I’m heading myself up to Syracuse but because we need to ensure that the UKG has a budget I will require to return before you arrive unless you’re extremely speedy and move ahead of schedule.

“I just want to conclude by saying it has been an honour and privilege and I know my son Oliver who is our MSP, Lockerbie member of the Scottish Parliament shares this, it has been an honour and a privilege for me to associated with this project. It really really has. So thank you guys. “

Continue reading...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: David Mundell speech: 20 years of Scottish devolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smarter sentences, safer streets: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Mayor's Banquet 2019: David Gauke’s speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Times Law Awards 2019: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Alun Cairns' St David’s Day Reception Speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Beyond prison, redefining punishment: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Women's Aid Public Policy Conference: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Digital Court Reform Conference: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Launch of TheCityUK legal services 2018 report: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Annual Bar and Young Bar Conference 2018: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Lord Mayor's Banquet 2018: David Gauke’s speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Spark21 conference 2018: David Gauke speech on diversity in the legal profession MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Judges annual pay review 2018/19: David Gauke blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Speech by the Rt Hon David Lidington MP at London Stock Exchange MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Joint press conference: David Cameron and Prime Minister Narendra Modi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 100 days: article by David Cameron MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Speech given at BAE Systems by Prime Minister David Cameron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Prime Minister David Cameron's speech at Port of Felixstowe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security and prosperity: article by David Cameron and Barack Obama MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: David Cameron and Ahmet Davutoglu press conference in Turkey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM's skills speech: 29 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's speech to UN General Assembly: 26 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Secretary speech on biodiversity: 24 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Matt Warman’s Keynote Speech at Connected Britain 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robert Jenrick's speech on planning for the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sport Minister's SRA annual conference speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emma Howard Boyd, Green Summit speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Julia Lopez speech at techUK’s ‘Building the Smarter State’ Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor’s Speech: White Paper Launch - A Smarter Approach to Sentencing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robert Jenrick's speech to Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary speech at the Police Superintendents' Association conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chartered Institute of Housing 2020: Housing Minister's speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary's speech at meeting of UK, German and French defence ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech to ICAEW Virtual Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor’s Mansion House speech to the judiciary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief Secretary to the Treasury delivers his first speech in the role to thinktank Onward MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Universities Minister speech at Festival of Higher Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS George Eustice speech on environmental recovery: 20 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commander Strategic Command, General Sir Patrick Sanders’ Speech at the Air and Space Power Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amb Pruce's Speech at the Forum on Youths’ SOGIE & Mental Health
 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary keynote speech at the Air and Space Power Conference 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary Ben Wallace gives a speech at the Air and Space Power Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alex Chisholm speech at Civil Service Live 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary speech at India Global Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary FE speech with Social Market Foundation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A Plan for Jobs speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local Government Association annual conference 2020: Minister for Regional Growth and Local Government's speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rushi Sunak, on the future relationship between the UK and Switzerland on financial services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Secretary speech at the COP26 Business Leaders Event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM Economy Speech: 30 June 2020 MoD News 0