Specific Inhaler question (sorry!!)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RDH376, Aug 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Apologies for the long winded post but i want to cover all the key info since i really want my application to succeed.

I'm well aware of the policy regarding asthma and inhalers (4 years clear) but I would like to get some advice on my chances.

I suffered from asthma as a child and was prescribed the usual tablets and inhalers, however I've grown out of the problem and my last treatment for the condition was in 2003. I went to university from 2004-2007 and during that time i registered with the university surgery as normal. When i returned home from uni, i didn't bother to re-register with my original surgery at home and it remained as one of those things that i would get round to doing eventually.

Approx a year ago, i had some free time on my hands so i thought i would register with the surgery at home again. I didn't need to see the doctor for anything, it just so happened that i'd finally remembered about it. The nurse picked up on the fact that i suffered from asthma as a child and despite me mentioning i don't find it a problem anymore, she recommended a precautionary prescription for an inhaler and tablets as per standard procedure.

I spoke to the doctor prior to applying (earlier this year) and he said that as far as my records are concerned that i last had treatment for asthma in 2003. He sent me for a spirometry test to confirm this and this came back normal. I told him about the strict policy on inhalers and he told me that on any medical application forms and during the medical, this inhaler prescription last year does not need to be mentioned unless i'm asked specifically. He told me that technically he cannot say the medication was prescribed in error since it is precautionary and he would do the same thing for a another person who isn't an asthmatic. Despite this, he said that he would confirm that i no longer suffer from any asthma symptoms and haven't since 2003.

I've since applied and i'm due for my medical shortly. The problem is i'm very nervous about my doctor's comments that this prescription does not need to mentioned since it is not considered as part of my treatment. I've been to see him again recently and he stated that i'm not lying about my records and that that the key facts are that i have not suffered from asthma since 2003. I mean would this could be considered as misleading the medical examiner? I'm now caught in two minds of what to do since my doctor told me specifically what to say

Any suggestions?
  2. If you dont tell the medical examiners and found out at later date then you could have your application withdrawn for a fraudulent application. You're better off letting them know. If your GP will sign you off medically fit and you pass the peak flow test you could quite possibly be ok. Make sure you tell them though. If you knew the process involved why did you not refuse the prescription? Don't lie to them you will be found out and it's not a great way to start a career
  3. Yea that's what i'm afraid of. I just hope that my medical examiner is reasonable about the situation and doesn't just tell me bluntly that it's a fail and there's the door lol!

In regards to the prescription, it was an unfortunate case of naivety on my part since despite being fairly recent to my application, i wasn't aware of the 4 year rule at that time. I'll be absolutely gutted if that one lapse in judgement will knock back my application another 3 years (i'm 28 now so time is of the essence AFAIK)
  4. I've just joined 2 weeks ago, it will be more gutting mate if you pass the medical wait the length of time depending on job, get to Raleigh/Brnc then the send you home because it shows up later down the line. And they do do it we had a lad leave in week one because he was passed medically fit when he shouldn't have been.
  5. Ok thanks mate, i'll give the medical examiner all the details and see what happens. As you said, it would be a killer have this inhaler prescription stuck in the back of my mind if i was to complete the recruitment process.

My doctor will confirm that the prescription was not issued as a result of me showing symptoms but rather due to standard policy for the medical practice, so hopefully this will give me a chance.

I'll keep you posted on what happens, cheers.
  6. Good luck mate
  7. I have absolutely no confidence in any Practice Nurse whatsoever. If one wishes to practice medicine, study and become a Doctor
    aA three year nursing course, followed by a couple of courses is no substitute or stand in for a qualified GP. At least in the RN the Medical branch ratings were properly trained and capable of doing the job. Sadly NHS trained nurses are not of the same calibre ...and it shows
    If you explain that the Practice nurse, on registering with the practice, prescribed medication when you had been symptom free, and that you have not needed or taken them might go in your favour. I rather suspect that what this female knows about the intricacies of asthma could be written on a grain of rice, with a pick axe .
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  8. Trelawny - NHS nurses are much higher trained than MBRs, but I digress...

OP - this is a very common situation and I don't think you will come to diffs. Declare everything. GPs are very fast to give out inhalers at the mo - God knows why. They're give them out almost as fast as paramedics give people nebulisers, but nothing is quite that fast. Sounds like you'll be ok.
  9. Dead right, I said pretty much the same to Dr Shipman just before he gave me a flue jab, can't remember what he said
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Er, yes we was and if I can recall correctly I was so good at mine there were never any sick people on the ships I served in. Well no one came near the sick bay when I ran it....^^
  11. Rummers is still in shock after his GP was arrested, he thought Dr Crippen was a jolly nice chap.
  12. I was a prodigy of a real good doctor, I followed his philosophy to the letter.
    I love old doctor Doolittle.
  13. What spoilt good doctoring and sent the Navy soft was anesthetic.
    Now their all tarts.
  14. I would have guessed at Mary Shelley
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ok thanks guys, makes me feel a bit better about my chances. My medical is tomorrow so i guess i'll know soon enough ^_~
  16. ***update***

Had the medical and the doctor put me on the 28 day peak flow as normal and said to get a letter from my GP regarding the situation surrounding the inhaler. Effectively as long as my GP conveys the fact that this inhaler issued last summer shouldn't really have been issued, then i should be ok.

Everything else was fine except i found it surprising i was told i need to remove a fixed retainer that is behind my top front teeth that i had fitted years ago. Despite not needing any further treatment for it, apparently it implies the opposite so it has to go.
  17. ***update***

Well this asthma problem is in danger of turning into a saga...

After the first medical, i completed the 28 day peak flow and posted the necessary documents to the Premier Medical Group (PMG) as normal. These documents included a letter from my doctor explaining the inhaler shouldn't have been issued. I'll point out that i rang the company several times prior to sending the documents, to double check how/where/what i should post them.

Anyway, went to the 2nd medical a few days ago and the doctor was quite negative and said that the only information that they have is that the inhaler was issued as a precaution. It turned out that they had all the documents except the doctors letter about the inhaler. They contacted PMG and it looks like they have managed to lose it (bizarre since all the other documents in the same envelope are accounted for!)

So the doctor initially said they would have to fail me based on what they have but thankfully decided to put a halt on proceedings so i can go to my main doctor and get another letter.

Frustrating :mad:

It's a good thing that the doctor in my medical was very reasonable about the situation otherwise i would have failed and my only option would be to appeal despite no fault of my own.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  18. You can appeal against this if you get the opinion from another doctor verified by the AFCO. Alot of people have issues with aircrew medicals if they've been prescribed hayfever tablets within 4 years when they give them out to everyone, if you have hayfever buy them from the shop.

Other than that best of luck!
  19. Good luck with that mate, I used to have athsma and nearly failed because of the fact I had steroids for it... 6 days after i was 6 years old. Even my examiner was at a loss to explain the relevance.

20. Haha. Just me? Bugger it.
    • Like Like x 3