Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Specific info on Weapon Engineer?

Sumo were you a WE? So if I went boats, would there be the chance of becoming a planesman? Are there any other secondary roles that a WE had aboard a boat aside from his WE job?

Cheers,
WE's (apart from REA's for some reason) watch keep on the Submarine Control Console (known as "the Panel") when they're Senior Rates. As a JR you'll be Fwd Staff as a control room watchkeeper, manning periscope hoists (periscopes don't penetrate the pressure hull nowadays), changing ventilation line ups, changing over and monitoring the fresh water tanks etc etc.

WE's (apart from REA's for some reason) watch keep on the Submarine Control Console (known as "the Panel") when they're Senior Rates. As a JR you'll be Fwd Staff as a control room watchkeeper, manning periscope hoists (periscopes don't penetrate the pressure hull nowadays), changing ventilation line ups, changing over and monitoring the fresh water tanks etc etc.

Thanks Wrecker, just wondering what's "REA"? Do WE's get any other secondary roles or is it limited to these? Just done my RT test AFCO said to come back in an hour to get results just hoping I get high enough for WE...:rolleyes:

Cheers

REA = Radio Electrical Artificer, they are/were WE's and for some reason were always planesmen.

You'll have enough to do on your own section plus 6 hrs on/6 hrs off watchkeeping as Fwd Staff to fill your waking hours.

REA = Radio Electrical Artificer, they are/were WE's and for some reason were always planesmen.

System Knowledge was to much for the pinkie faggots, so panel was beyond there reach? was that to harsh:). We had all WE PO as drivers soon as chief panel except for pinkies, and sometimes SCOO, only dive PO on panel was ME FWD staff.

You can submit a preference but thats all it is, a preference. You will get put where the navy needs you to be. In my experience classes usually get split 50/50ish between Plymouth and Portsmouth based ships, but thats not always the case, it can be any class of ship. After Phase 2, I think you now join an Engineering Training Squadron (ETS) in a base port to get qualified to ET1. So you'll be working on a harbour training ship, which could be T45 or T23. I might be wrong so don't hold me to that.

Yes, am currently finishing phase 2 and this is pretty much exactly what is happening. Class is split Portsmouth/Plymouth for ETS for ET1 qualification, approx 3 months. Plymouth is 23s only, Portsmouth can be either 45s or 23s, but 45 is more common apparently. After ETS you get put on deployment. This can be based on preference but is more likely that the navy needs you to go on a particular ship. Whether or not that ship matches your preferences is complete pot luck :D

Latest Threads