Special Constabulary.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Hides_, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've been a watcher of the forums for a while, but yet to make a serious thread, so here goes! I'm in a similar position to a lot of people on here, namely having a long wait to pass my final interview and get a date for entry.

I am aware this may take some time with the Defence Review that took place on Tuesday.

My question is, can I join the Special Constabulary in the time I am waiting, to get more 'life experience' and feel like I'm doing something whilst completing my studies, or is having an application with the armed forces not allowed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. I should think you can ..I should think they would brab your hand off at unpaod work(big society and all that ).But if the time scale short i dont think would be worth there while
  3. There's nothing to stop you serving as a Special as you are not yet in the military. Just remember that it can take up to a year - constabulary depending - to train as a Special Constable, so you might want to ask yourself if you'd be able to benefit your area by volunteering, or would you be taking a place away from someone who might have more time to give back.
  4. What he said. Being in the Armed Forces can be a bar to serving as a Special Constable, it is force dependent. The application time can range from 6 months to a year and the training is on average 3 months, over weekends normally (again all force dependent). You then must meet minimum parades of duty to remain a Special Constable - so I imagine they will pull your current application for the Navy into question as you must declare it on the application form (they check anyway), and you saying "I'm just joining cause Im bored and I will leave when I get into the Navy" (or similar) isn't going to make them throw money into your kit, training and development...but apply if your force is recruiting and you think you have what it takes.
  5. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll definitely take it on board, and give a lot more consideration to joining.
  6. Without wishing to sound crass...if you want to be a copper...choose that as a career. Don't play at it...which is what you would be doing as a special...and a pain in the arse to 'real policemen'......

No offence intended!
  7. Just to poke my head in, but I don't think many are hiring (infact quite the opposite) at present.
    I have heard through sources that Specials are a side route in, however not guaranteed.
    The logic is if you have been doing the job for 1-2 years (excluding training which I think takes a year) unpaid, then you are committed to it.

Happy to be informed otherwise.
  8. Just to make clear...Specials have exactly the same powers as full time officers, so they are 'real policemen" (and women).
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Think 'Superpom' is confused between Specials and PCSOs... :?
  10. Possibly - Specials and PCSO's are very different things indeed.
  11. Just to make it clear...as having been 'Old Bill' myself for almost 30 years...I do have an inkling what a 'Special' is.....and what it's like to get lumbered with them operationally.... :banghead: As for being 'real policemen... :laughing3: :laughing3:

I still shudder at the dreaded radio call half way through a back shift " Bravo Mike 3...return to station and pick up a special' :roll:
  12. Sounds like you got rubbish Specials down your way then.
  13. Think about it in terms of RNR compared to RN. It's not their full time job so although they are supposed to be the same, it is impossible for them to be the same. Only from my experience with MET, TVP and Surrey to be fair.
  14. True, they arn't mean't to be the same (I wasn't trying to surgest that at all), or else why have them at all. It's just as you say (like the RNR), they support the main force, I just wanted to clarify that they have the same powers.
  15. In that case fair enough
  16. Yes, you can. I am a serving Special Constable and have passed the selection process, on the waiting list like everyone else. I checked it out with my careers advisor at the time. Hope this helps.
  17. I would say that serving as a special is a brilliant, enjoyable (and at times dangerous - you will be doing the same front line job and the public are usually unaware you're a special) way of giving something back to your community, while at the same time learning and enhancing a whole variety of social skills. As said previously though the training and commitment varies hugely between forces.

I can understand that superpom is getting at, there are specials who are afraid to get stuck in, use their radio and that may be seen as a liability to a regular officer. However, I know many specials that regular officers are happy to work along side.

You will get out of it what you put in. It takes time to build up respect with your regular colleagues.

On the flip side, I also know regular officers that are 'lazy' and do their very best to avoid public interaction unless absolutely necessary.

Suggest you google: specialsforums and click on 'force specific' and chat to people from your local force.
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perfect training for joining the RN then... [JOKE!]

I am attempting going in the opposite direction; RN to Police Service. My options are limited but I have options to exploit... :wink:

Anyway, welcome to RR, Imperial. Hope your application to the RN continues successfully. :thumbleft:
  19. If you are in or near London, you could do a lot worse than join the HAC special constabulary.

It's like the normal specials but less shit.

You get free membership to Virgin Active gym and you also get to come to all the balls and dinners. The HAC specials sometimes get involved in military activities too, so the role is a bit more varied and one would assume more interesting.

20. Cheers Sgt Pepper, I think the police quite like people with forces experience. They know they're getting well disciplined people. Good luck getting in - but won't be easy in the current climate.