Speaking about the RN on the internet

Paxman_Valenta

Lantern Swinger
I'm fairly active on twitter and a few people that I interact with know what I do for a living. I don't say what it is I do, nor where i've been or wheat I've been on. But anyway, I got asked a question the other day from a person I know who was asking general questions about life away and accommodation onboard etc.

Before I could even answer the questions I received a private message from the official Royal Navy twitter account saying that they "must insist that such official communications are the responsibility of the headquarters, not individuals."

There is also a DIN out (2016DIN 03-29) that goes into great detail about communication with the public and applies to all military and civilian staff.

I'm not wanting to rock the boat but inform those on here who post answers to questions asked by potential recruits about life in the jolly old RN.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Sadly the MOD is cracking down on a lot of this - just make clear in your profile that your views don't represent that of the RN. There are multiple RN personnel on twitter who do this and post just fine. Also be careful with retweeting stuff that may be controversial.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Thérèse Coffey’s speaking notes from the OECD event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities Baroness Williams speaking at the Government Equalities Office's LGBT Leadership Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amanda Spielman speaking at the Royal Opera House MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Baroness Morgan speaking on how we can make technology work for everyone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State for International Trade Liz Truss speaking at the Velvet Revolution Ball MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State Nicky Morgan speaking at the Reform Women's Network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Women and Equalities Liz Truss speaking at the FT's Women at the Top event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Delivering for Welsh-speaking Wales: UK Government launches bilingual communications guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Deputy High Commissioner Tom Hartley Speaking at the World Day Against Human Trafficking Stakeholders' Conference MoD News 4
MoD_RSS Amanda Spielman speaking at the Victoria and Albert Museum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the AI Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State Jeremy Wright speaking at CogX during London Tech Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Chris Skidmore speaking at COGX MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the launch of the TechNation Report 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the Professional Publishers Association Festival MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: H.E Iain Walker speaking at the Queen's Birthday Party 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright speaking at the launch of the Online Harms White Paper MoD News 0
N Speaking to serving officers Joining the Royal Navy 1
JamesH "Commander Speaking!" History 1
scouse MOD and 118 and speaking clock phone bill Diamond Lil's 0
BFRS German Speaking Sales Professional The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Naval_Gazer The only Welsh-speaking submariner in the Royal Navy? Submariners 2
soleil RM Chaplain Speaking On R4, "Soul Music - Brothers In Arms" The Corps 3
G Installation Engineer, (German Speaking) Euro 35,000 – 40,000 plus great benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
trelawney126 Parents Lead by Example in Welsh Speaking School Diamond Lil's 2
G Technical Trainer Mechanical, (French speaking) - Thailand The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
G Field Service Mechanic, (French speaking) - Thailand The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
G Technical Support Mechanical, (French speaking) - Thailand The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: French Speaking Project Manager - Afghanistan The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Radio 4 - PM - Commander Simon Staley Speaking Live From HMS York Current Affairs 4
Q Julia Gillard Australia's PM does some plain speaking The Gash Barge 58
Chicogiz Speaking proper England, innit. Diamond Lil's 53
BillyNoMates Leos in Uranus...in a manner of speaking. Diamond Lil's 6
A Fear of public speaking Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Providing physical work packs for pupils with limited or no internet connection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS BuffaloGrid: connecting the next 1 billion to the internet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to strengthen security of internet-connected products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Board announced for new UK Council for Internet Safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Plans announced to introduce new laws for internet connected devices MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NHS hospitals and GP practices to get fibre optic internet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jeremy Wright and Margot James to meet with US tech giants to discuss a safer internet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Margot James speech on Safer Internet Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improve cyber security in the Internet of Things: apply for funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Jeremy Wright's speech at the Parliament and Internet Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Board announced for new UK Council for Internet Safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Law tightened to target terrorists' use of the internet MoD News 0
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp BT internet email problems Bloody Computers 13
popeye10 family and internet query RFA 11
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: security for the internet of things MoD News 0