Spatial Reasoning?

What are people’s experience with the Spacial Reasoning part of the recruit test?

My test is on Monday, currently scoring between 60-90% on all other sections, but really struggling with spatial reasoning. I can’t get more than 45% which is really worrying because I know you need at least 50% or it’s a 12 month wait!

Are there any tricks to figuring out the sequences quickly?

Thanks!

JKelso

Midshipman
What are people’s experience with the Spacial Reasoning part of the recruit test?

My test is on Monday, currently scoring between 60-90% on all other sections, but really struggling with spatial reasoning. I can’t get more than 45% which is really worrying because I know you need at least 50% or it’s a 12 month wait!

Are there any tricks to figuring out the sequences quickly?

Thanks!
We was told before we done ours that it’s a 3 month wait to take the test again, and you’re allowed two more attempts at it if you don’t pass the first time. Best way to prepare is just try and grasp the formula of the questioning and keep testing yourself over and over. It makes the questions easier when you know the formula. If you are still working out the answer after about 20 seconds, I’d take an educated guess at it and move on to the next one. Good luck!

Thanks!
Although that is my issue, if I could understand the “formula”, I.e what they’re actually asking Id be able to learn and practice it. I just see a series of completely random jumbles of shapes/lines. o_O

They can definitely be frustrating, but the point of them is to assess your approach to assessing a problem, spotting patterns and connections, etc. If you're having trouble its probably because you're taking the wrong approach to them.

Different questions in spatial reasoning require different approaches. Sometimes they're made overly detailed and there's only one actual common detail you need to pay attention to. Sometimes this means a rule which is established by a pattern, and everything around it is just noise to confuse you. Sometimes the pattern is just a sequence, not too unlike a numerical sequence, but sometimes they only look like a sequence again to throw you off a little.

To be honest, the RT spatial reasoning test are fairly tame compared with other similar tests (including the one at AIB), but you can improve by practising, this can help you to see what you're doing wrong and improve your method of tackling them. You can use these websites to practise for free:

https://practiceaptitudetests.com/amember/signup/instructions?testdiag1

https://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/free-aptitude-tests.asp

Latest Threads