Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by duggers20, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, just a quick question. Can any1 apply to transfer to the Submarine parachute assistance group(SPAG). Or is it only for submariners?

Look forward to hearing from you.
  2. Rapid Reaction rescuers parachute into the Solent
    12th May 2006
    A crack team of Royal Navy personnel demonstrated their capability for maritime rescue by parachuting into the Solent from an RAF Hercules aircraft flying, dramatically, at only 610 metres (2,000 feet).

I am still on old money should this not read two hundred feet?
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

No 1m = 39inchs (so 3 and a tad feet) so 200m = approx 2000ft
  4. Now when I passed O Grade arithmetic which was a very long time ago 200m woiuld have been about 656 feet, has the foot shrunk or the metregrown.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Wow, no wonder I only made it as far as chief stoker. Respect. :thumright:
  6. And this is about 8 inches!

7. Can someone lend me an Imperial tape measure? ;)
  8. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

:blush: what was I doing this morning? I shall stick to toast tomorrow.
  9. 1 meter is roughly 3.3 feet, so:

610m x 3.3ft = 2013ft
  10. Now that the difficulty of converting metres to feet has been solved, back top the original question.

As IDID tried to point out to you Duggers, (though I suspect he may have failed due to no fault of his own) the SPAG team are all submariners, and are also experts in submarine escape (they do, after all, teach it). If you want to do it because it looks glamourous, try becoming a clearance diver instead, as that will probably tick the appropriate boxes for you.
  11. Hello to be a member of SPAG you have to be first a submariner and secondly a senior rate then you apply to be an escape and rescue instructor at the submarine escape training tank. The spag bit is a very small part of the job as the main job is teaching new and requalifying submariners to escape and survive after a submarine accident.