Sows ears and silk purse comes to mind.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Flagdeck, Nov 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chris Rea wrote a song about the M25, he called it 'The Road to Hell'

Up north we have the M62 Eastbound which we call 'The Road to Hull'

pretty similar really.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Whoever voted has obviously never been there. Even the rest of Yorkshire don't like the place and there's few people as tribal as Yorkies.

3. Stayed there once ... that was enough!

4. And I thought it was Ull

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. The other contenders were Leicester, Swansea and Dundee. Not much to choose from.

6. tiddlyoggy

Never been to Dundee, but I'd take either of the other 2 options over Hull.

7. At least Dundee has a cake named after it ... or perhaps they named it after the cake ... the other places are akin to takeing a large dose of picolax ... gives you the shits!

8. So has Pontefract and I know which one I'd prefer to go to!

9. and thats Liquorice ... same result as picolax!

10. I would have thought that they would have chosen Bradford, the city of many cultures.

11. It's just one of those shit awards they give to complete spastics to say "well done, you tried really hard."

Like the 'most improved recruit award' at Raleigh.

It means "congratulations, no one thought you'd pass but you scraped through - just. Have this shitty award as a little personal boost and to make sure you don't **** up again."

Liverpool and Glasgow are both previous winners of this dogshit accolade. That should tell you all you need to know.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. They offered cons at a prison nearby day release to Dundee. They all said no. Nuff said.

13. In a past life as a sales manager I spent many hours 'on the road' in various parts of the country and I can honestly say the best view of Hull was in the rear view mirror (M62 Westbound).....have to say Grimsby was a close second.

14. tiddlyoggy

Never been to Leicester then Finks?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Had two lads on the squadron from Ull and they both banged their notice in at the same time to get back to the motherland! 6 months later they were begging to get back in the mob! :)

16. I think its good for Hull, it is a dive and currently one people would probably hasten to call culturally thriving. However this award aims to help stimulate investment and interest in the area, as happened with Liverpool. It is sold as an award but I always think rather than a pat on the back to somewhere already doing well it is to stimulate activity in the area. Loads of the Portsmouth based groups are claiming its disgusting and they should have won; a) no and b) not good to be a bad sport.

17. tiddlyoggy

Thing is R3, Liverpool has always excelled in developing musicians, poets, comedians etc Hull's contribution to culture is ........... help me out someone.

18. People must have creative minds to cope with living there :p anything to help them make the place better though, poor bastards.

19. No doubt Lord Prescott of Silver Salver will be well pleased.