Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

South Island...DTS.

The Crab in Shanklin had Scrum on draught during my stay , very nice , hotel had the full range of Godd's in bottle.
You will have to give me a heads up for next year as to locations for Goddards on draught.

Scrum is b***dy lovely! as is Ale of Wight and Fuggle de Dum! Not too keen on the Ducks Folly though!

Stirl:

Re Goddards on draught.

I will undertake research.

"Dairymans" often have one on tap as does the "Spyglass" ???

When I was working out of Fort Bouldnor, Burt's Ales was the local brew. Is it still going?

Nah ... happily "Burts" is no more ... never really traveled well out of Ventnor anyway! Think the brewery was taken over by Yates's but Wightsparker may know more about that.

Nah ... happily "Burts" is no more ... never really traveled well out of Ventnor anyway! Think the brewery was taken over by Yates's but Wightsparker may know more about that.

Shame... It was popular, because it was cheap and on a 'blank week', made all the difference. :)

As I recall, Burts ran out of steam some years ago. I wasn't a great fan of their draught beer myself, but I occasionally bought some of their bottled brown ale from what I think was the brewery's off licence (now a private house) in Ventnor. It was quite cheap! But I think Burt's head brewer was involved in the setting up of Goddards, so in a way there is some continuity.

As I recall, Burts ran out of steam some years ago. I wasn't a great fan of their draught beer myself, but I occasionally bought some of their bottled brown ale from what I think was the brewery's off licence (now a private house) in Ventnor. It was quite cheap! But I think Burt's head brewer was involved in the setting up of Goddards, so in a way there is some continuity.

WS you could well be right. I seem to remember something about Burts head brewer and Goddards ... think the brewery got taken over by Yates before he moved to the Forest Rd site (Island Ales) but that could be something else entirely.

Ah, memories are made (lost) from this! Parsnip or Cherry - yummy! Remember 'The Lone Barn' at Bursledon anyone? Served all the country wines.

Parsnip Mmm. could spit on the place with a favourable wind. Tourist trap, used to be good 40-50 years ago. The Fountain or Linden tree as its now called a much more friendly local. The Vine OK.