Source Branch to Warfare!

D

Deleted 7

OK, there must be a good few of you who are still serving or were at the time that the 'Source Branch' (Sonar/Radar/Gunners etc) evolved into the 'Warfare Branch' (OM's).

What is your take on this? Keep in mind that the RN tried to revert back to its source branch roots in some sort of way be introducing the 'Topmast'.

Do you think having the separate trades such as UW (Under water warfare), AW (Above water warfare), EW (electronic warfare), MW (Mine warfare) and C (Comms) work better as a whole?

Also, if you were source before hand, were you given the oppotunity to switch over to warfare?

brigham600

War Hero
I was and always have been source branch and always called myself a CRS despite what my pay chit said :)

In my opinion the WB never worked properly and should never have been implemented in the first place. Several other NATO navies tried it and binned it, but no, the good old RN 'would' make it work. It didn't.

The RN now finds itself having more or less turned full circle and gone back to operators and maintainers.

For many of the older folk (RNA peeps) this was done many, many years ago as well. For me, its the good ideas club in the ivory towers who keep re-inventing the wheel. They should concentrate on the wider issues instead. Such as; better living conditions, kit, not working all hours and no longer having the carrot of a decent run ashore, not going from deployment to workup-to deployment-to work up-to deployment!!

There is very little fun left in the RN nowadays with runs ashore disappearing faster than John Prescott's salad bar.

So to answer your question Jenny. NO, RAM THE WARFARE BRANCH up the nearest Whitehall pen pushers backside.

flatbackpinky

Lantern Swinger
The real question is if the warfare branch was not introduced or introduced with better planning and more forethought how many of us from the source branches would still be in ? I for one would be one and be a gong killick or po so maybe there wouldnt be the impending black hole in sr's i agree totally with brigham600 it should have been used as a supositry in whitehall

I had the good fortune to be teaching in Collingwood and had many a class where source were being "re trained", what nonsense, half of them didn't want to change and how can you teach the technical side of things to people who don't want to be there ? It is hard enough when they do..
It was a major factor in my decision to leave before completing my 22.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Launch of major 'source to sea' natural flood management drive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl shares new open-source framework initiative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Extracting visual navigation data from open-source imagery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Automatic verification and fusion of open-source intelligence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Single Source Cost Standards: Statutory Guidance on Allowable Costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Review of the single source regulatory framework: call for input MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New guidance on profits on single source defence contracts published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: First annual Compliance Report published by the Single Source Regulations Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New method for calculating profit rate on single source defence contracts... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl adds to open source software MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Major changes proposed for profit rate calculations on single source defence... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Independent, fair, transparent: regulating single source defence procurement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: First Annual Report and Accounts published by the Single Source Regulations... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: open-source big data insight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Single source regulator launches new rules on £6 billion spend MoD News 0
C Best source of information about the R.F.A? RFA 10
Guns Galaxy 20-2010 - RN Recruiting from the offical source Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil The Bing Search Engine; An Eternal Source Of Mystery Bloody Computers 9
soleil Reuters: UK May Axe Carriers, Trident Safe - Defence Source The Fleet 26
K Help to source a Petty Officer jacket Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Anyone play half-life 2/Counter Strike source?? Gaming 3
A S& S Branch History 5
O Application at Branch Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Aircrew branch transfer UPO/Careers Office 37
P Internal only RFA job (helicopter controller/supply chain etc). Which branch? RFA 0
soleil FB: "Video About The Royal Navy Photographic Branch, Created By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd" #RNPhoto100 The Fleet 0
Gematria Laziest Engineering Branch? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
rn458scc Branch Badge The Fleet 1
S All Arms Commando Course, Writer Branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
B Changing branch at HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
S History of Communications branch within the SM service History 21
MoD_RSS Press release: Need to fell some trees? Branch out and try Felling Licence Online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Tri-Branch Management Board chairman appointed MoD News 0
dapperdunn End of the Steward branch. Diamond Lil's 31
B Branch Change Joining the Royal Navy 3
Anchor Faced Branch badge unknown History 3
A Branch transfer as an AB1 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
NorfolkH Branch Badges - Pre-Warfare Branch The Fleet 12
S Branch/Career Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
C Training and courses - restricted by branch? RFA 2
G Branch information required Submariners 2
T History Of The Aircrew Branch History 0
Hanzzimmer Role/branch change once in the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
H Opinion on naval aircraft handler branch. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R MTO branch for ex RN Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
Mess Webly Time Most 'valuable' branch for a reservist to join? +other questions Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
N Branch Changes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Which branch shortest waiting times currently? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
S branch Transfer from GS to Subs... whats the process? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
ulster fan Medical Branch RNR - Biomedical Science Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6