Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry for the extremely "newbie" question but..

Powder

Lantern Swinger
What exactly is HMS Raleigh? I keep hearing lots of people talking about that and both HMS Sultan and saying how much they are dreading going there!

Again, sorry, for the question but "If you dont ask, you dont learn".

edit: I know they are bases, but don't know what happens there.

Thanks
 

Gav_17

Midshipman
hms raleigh is where rating do there basic training and hms sultan is phase two training for marine engineers.
 

stirling2

Banned
Powder said:
What exactly is HMS Raleigh? I keep hearing lots of people talking about that and both HMS Sultan and saying how much they are dreading going there!

Again, sorry, for the question but "If you dont ask, you dont learn".

edit: I know they are bases, but don't know what happens there.

Thanks

Is this in case you fail AIB and need a fall back option ?.
 
Another basic question But I don't want to ask in the AFCO.

I am a pre-op M to F who has been living as a female for the past 5 years. I am now in my mid 20s and would like to join up as a Naval Airwoman but am not sure that they will let me live in the female block prior to my surgery.

Obviously I would find it impossible to live in a male block and do not want to cut my hair which I have been growing for a long time and it is now nearly waist length.

I have been told that the Fleet Air Arm are an equal opportunities environment so am looking forward to working with them but just worry about the accommodation and facilities. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Many Thanks

HTJ
 

Powder

Lantern Swinger
Gav_17 said:
hms raleigh is where rating do there basic training and hms sultan is phase two training for marine engineers.
So they are both for Royal Marines, and wanting to be a pilot for the FAA, I wouldnt be going to either?
Sorry, I am just trying to get my head around all this malarky.

Is this in case you fail AIB and need a fall back option?
I have a fallback option already. So Raleigh/Sultan doesnt apply to RN Pilots. Its purely to do with the RM selection process?


Thanks guys.


and LOL at hopingtojoin. I love trolls!
 

soleil

War Hero
Powder

Royal Marines train at Lympstone, not HMS Raleigh.

HMS Raleigh is where all Royal Navy ratings do their Basic Training (9 weeks).

Submariner specialisation training and Logisticians' Phase 2 training also take place at HMS Raleigh.

As a pilot, you would go to BRNC (Dartmouth), as do all Commissioned Officers.
 

Powder

Lantern Swinger
soleil said:
Powder

Royal Marines train at Lympstone, not HMS Raleigh.

HMS Raleigh is where all Royal Navy ratings do their Basic Training (9 weeks).

Submariner specialisation training and Logisticians' Phase 2 training also take place at HMS Raleigh.

As a pilot, you would go to BRNC (Dartmouth), as do all Commissioned Officers.
Ah right, thats cleared it all up!
Cheers all.
 

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Submariner specialialisation training also done at Faslane if going V,S, or A class, for some reason SMQ(North) always get missed out!
 

malspal

Lantern Swinger
HopingToJoin said:
Another basic question But I don't want to ask in the AFCO.

I am a pre-op M to F who has been living as a female for the past 5 years. I am now in my mid 20s and would like to join up as a Naval Airwoman but am not sure that they will let me live in the female block prior to my surgery.

Obviously I would find it impossible to live in a male block and do not want to cut my hair which I have been growing for a long time and it is now nearly waist length.

I have been told that the Fleet Air Arm are an equal opportunities environment so am looking forward to working with them but just worry about the accommodation and facilities. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Many Thanks

HTJ
I'd give up the idea and join QUANTAS :wink:
 
HopingToJoin said:
Another basic question But I don't want to ask in the AFCO.

I am a pre-op M to F who has been living as a female for the past 5 years. I am now in my mid 20s and would like to join up as a Naval Airwoman but am not sure that they will let me live in the female block prior to my surgery.

Obviously I would find it impossible to live in a male block and do not want to cut my hair which I have been growing for a long time and it is now nearly waist length.

I have been told that the Fleet Air Arm are an equal opportunities environment so am looking forward to working with them but just worry about the accommodation and facilities. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Many Thanks

HTJ

5 years? You only need 2 for a GRC. I think you lie like a hairy egg.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Sorry for an eyesight question Joining the Royal Navy 31
D I am sorry Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T5igger Help with medical (sorry!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Another Tattoo Question (Sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
GreedoTheFerret Yet another clearance diver thread... Sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Guns Sorry, I've been abusing Naval War Hero by.... Diamond Lil's 64
Guzzler Sorry for late notice Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
S I duplicationalified a post - sorry The Quarterdeck 0
A Career Prospects for Serving MA's - Sorry this is in the wrong category. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Specific Inhaler question (sorry!!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
J I'm sorry ...another how long quesiton ! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
jefferson1666 stupid asthma problems.. sorry angry doc o worry alot about these things.. Health & Fitness 18
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Sorry, chook, the Hot Pot's off... Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil A Sorry End: Queen's Former Flagship HMS Invincible Arrives In Turkey To Be Scrapped The Fleet 4
M sorry to post this but can't find the information any were Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J sorry its a blonde one Miscellaneous 0
Jarhead Sorry for not posting this earlier... The Corps 3
C Waiting times...Again sorry to ask! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
supermario Sorry not been around Nearest & Dearest 5
Merlin28 Sorry but we are going to lose tomorrow Diamond Lil's 9
N Sorry guys...another eyesight one... Health & Fitness 4
Y Another Asthma Question - Sorry I know its repetative Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
Ja5on Can't find it sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T Sorry The Gash Barge 0
Ja5on Sorry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
C sorry guys , noob question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
rod-gearing Oops,sorry Mack Diamond Lil's 3
Maxi_77 I almost feel sorry for the Bankers Current Affairs 24
Good_CO All Logged Out - Sorry for the inconvenience Site Issues 10
buggerit84 Sorry hig Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
B Sorry Another newbie. The Corps 13
Good_CO Sorry about the site outage Site Issues 4
Good_CO Login Issues Again - Sorry! Site Issues 2
D AIB (sorry) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
toejam sorry to bore you ...... The Gash Barge 8
golden_rivet dog fighting - sorry not really a sport! Sports and Adventure Training 9
brazenhussy sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Lost_Soul Sorry, Me Again with a Question... Submariners 4
slim Arnie to Paris: Sorry, too busy to help Diamond Lil's 17
creddly Sorry Guys : ( Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
PAVEWAY_3 Good lad ,check this out .He had to say sorry! Diamond Lil's 12
The_Caretaker Sorry Girls Diamond Lil's 1
The_Caretaker How to say Sorry Diamond Lil's 8
C Diver Eyesight.. sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
L another eyesight question... yeah I know, sorry. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Secretary extremely concerned at proposed new housing settlemen MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top