Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry for an eyesight question

D

Deleted 102458

Hi everyone,

I had applied to join RNR and had expected to have to argue my case as I have a couple of historical medical issues, but I did not expect to be rejected due to eyesight requirements as I was today.

I have perfect vision in my left eye, but I have poor vision in my right eye so I use a contact lens to meet the 6/12 requirement.

I was rejected as my right eye isn't able to read N5 text and I'm bewildered as to why that means a rejection.

I understand that the military prioritises the right eye due to "need" to fire a rifle right-handed, by why do they need that eye to be able to read tiny text close up?

Any insight will be very gratefully received, I'm doing my nut right now

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
Did you ask the question why, nicely of course!

Won't comment on 'Any insight' some one else might be along to do that :rolleyes:.

photface

Lantern Swinger
Hi Sound Engineer,

There are many close up tasks you may be required to perform and unfortunately if you’re unable to come up to the required standard for these then it’s a bar to entry.

JSP 950 chapter 4 will tell all, I believe.

Any more questions, feel free to message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted 102458

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest, why do they need you to be able to do close-up work with the right eye only?

That's what really confused me!

Waspie

War Hero
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of interest, why do they need you to be able to do close-up work with the right eye only?

That's what really confused me!
What happens if you then get a eye problem with your left?

Sadly the RN has moved along since the days of Blackbeard. They now require two working eyes and all your limbs intact. No Hooks or peg legs either I'm afraid.

D

Deleted 102458

You could equally ask "what happens if you get a problem with your right eye.

D

Deleted 102458

You probably think you're being funny with that comment, but personally I'm not laughing

D

Deleted 102458

I came on here looking for advice as I'm pretty bloody keen on getting into the Navy, and I'm met with stupid jokes about a serious medical issue...

What nice people there are on Navy-Net...

D

Deleted 102458

Seriously... Some things are worthy of humour, medical issues are not one of them IMHO

mikh

MIA
You probably think you're being funny with that comment, but personally I'm not laughing
Waspie answered your question and added a joke, not an hilarious one (but he was FAA so that's not a surprise), but his answer is valid.

You may be 'pretty bloody keen' to join, but if you fall below the medical standards, that's just one more kick in the teeth from life.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
SA80 can only be fired right handed, how will you be able to shoot with a duff right eye?

D

Deleted 102458

SA80 can only be fired right handed, how will you be able to shoot with a duff right eye?

As I said, my Visual Acuity in that eye meets the required standard. I have only failed on close-up reading.

D

Deleted 102458

What happens if you then get a eye problem with your left?

Sadly the RN has moved along since the days of Blackbeard. They now require two working eyes and all your limbs intact. No Hooks or peg legs either I'm afraid.

Presumably if I got a problem with my left eye then I'd be stood down... Same as if I got a problem with a leg, hand, arm, shoulder etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L another eyesight question... yeah I know, sorry. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
N Sorry guys...another eyesight one... Health & Fitness 4
C Diver Eyesight.. sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
D I am sorry Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
L Medical question regarding an allergic reaction (sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
T5igger Help with medical (sorry!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
G Another Tattoo Question (Sorry) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
GreedoTheFerret Yet another clearance diver thread... Sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Guns Sorry, I've been abusing Naval War Hero by.... Diamond Lil's 64
Guzzler Sorry for late notice Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
S I duplicationalified a post - sorry The Quarterdeck 0
A Career Prospects for Serving MA's - Sorry this is in the wrong category. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Specific Inhaler question (sorry!!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
J I'm sorry ...another how long quesiton ! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
jefferson1666 stupid asthma problems.. sorry angry doc o worry alot about these things.. Health & Fitness 18
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Sorry, chook, the Hot Pot's off... Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil A Sorry End: Queen's Former Flagship HMS Invincible Arrives In Turkey To Be Scrapped The Fleet 4
M sorry to post this but can't find the information any were Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J sorry its a blonde one Miscellaneous 0
Jarhead Sorry for not posting this earlier... The Corps 3
C Waiting times...Again sorry to ask! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
supermario Sorry not been around Nearest & Dearest 5
Merlin28 Sorry but we are going to lose tomorrow Diamond Lil's 9
Y Another Asthma Question - Sorry I know its repetative Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
Powder Sorry for the extremely "newbie" question but.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Ja5on Can't find it sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T Sorry The Gash Barge 0
Ja5on Sorry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
C sorry guys , noob question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
rod-gearing Oops,sorry Mack Diamond Lil's 3
Maxi_77 I almost feel sorry for the Bankers Current Affairs 24
Good_CO All Logged Out - Sorry for the inconvenience Site Issues 10
buggerit84 Sorry hig Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
B Sorry Another newbie. The Corps 13
Good_CO Sorry about the site outage Site Issues 4
Good_CO Login Issues Again - Sorry! Site Issues 2
D AIB (sorry) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
toejam sorry to bore you ...... The Gash Barge 8
golden_rivet dog fighting - sorry not really a sport! Sports and Adventure Training 9
brazenhussy sorry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Lost_Soul Sorry, Me Again with a Question... Submariners 4
slim Arnie to Paris: Sorry, too busy to help Diamond Lil's 17
creddly Sorry Guys : ( Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
PAVEWAY_3 Good lad ,check this out .He had to say sorry! Diamond Lil's 12
The_Caretaker Sorry Girls Diamond Lil's 1
The_Caretaker How to say Sorry Diamond Lil's 8
A Eyesight requirements Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
X Eyesight requirements for submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7