Sore calves while running

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by wannabeamarine, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, having a bit of trouble while running. I'm getting really bad pain on the inside of both legs just below the calves. Gets so bad that I often have to stop mid-run and stretch off. Once I'm back home, they fell very very tight and its hard to even walk.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas/solutions? Would a good pair of in-soles help?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm running properly (which might be causing the pain). Seem to be landing and taking off with the ball of my foot and I remember hearing that that's not too good.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. It is well worth investing in a decent pair of running trainers. I couldn't really see it at first but then bought a decent pair of reebok road running trainers and can't believe how much they helped!
  3. Have your gait assessed at a professional running store. They will watch you run and correct the problem if necessary, they will also advise on the best style of running shoe.

Using the balls of your feet is not necessarily incorrect. I myself use the Pose method which is forefoot running and find it very beneficial.

I cannot stress how important correct gait analysis is, it makes huge difference to performance, injury prevention and comfort.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I suffered from the same problem and put it down to not warming up my lower leg muscles/wrong trainers/poor posture, etc. However after a consultation with a Physiotherapist it transpired that the above were not the case - the main cause of 'shinsplints' is poor core body strength (i.e. the muscles in the trunk that support the body weight, rather than all the weight being carried on the legs).

After a course of stretching exercises (usually with a rubber band on the legs and balancing on an inflatable ball) the problem subsided and the pains in my lower legs decreased and I was able to continue with my runnning with no long-term problems.

Get a physio appointment first before you spend more money than necessary buying trainers you may not need.

Good luck! :thumright:
  5. Sore Calves whilst running... Ummmm... Could be serious.... never heard that one before....

Have you had an AIDS test?
  6. Just noticed that Soliel Is nearing the 500 posts mark by only refering people to the PRMC website.
    Keep up the good work! Aint you bored yet?