Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asap

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by kenkim, Mar 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son is currently away on deployment and has broken the second of his two pairs of prescription glasses and wants us to send out some new ones to him asap.
    What is the quickest way to get something like that to him?

Thanks

2. Parcel - seriously, if his ship is at sea, they will not get post as regular as along side. So posting it to ge there faster, might not make a difference as the post could be sitting onland for a week, before getting to the ship.

I wouldn't waste money on courier, unless it's something you want to do.

3. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Not quite with you Stix. Can you elaborate please?

4. Mail no longer gets the same priority it used to , thanks to email and paradigm cards. Depending where your son is deployed, he may not get mail again till his next port visit. That'll teach him to be a clumsy cnut!

5. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Depending on where he is and his next port of call if he is known to need
    glasses the RN usually does the biz and gets an optician /optometrist
    to supply a new pair.
    Tell him to see his medical department and let them worry.

G :fish:

6. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

..........in the mean time, he can always use ducktape :wink:

7. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Depending on where he is it might be quicker and cheaper for him to get a new pair made out there.

8. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Don't be tempted to send them via Royal Mail special delivery to speed up delivery. This will only get them to Northolt by the guaranteed delivery time. Once at Northolt they will be at the mercy of whatever schedule is given to BFPO from the ship on their mail diversion signal.

If he is serving in one of the following ships you can send him a packet of up to 2Kg for free.

HMS Atherstone (until 05/05/10)
    HMS Chatham
    HMS Chiddingfold
    HMS Grimsby
    HMS Lancaster (until 10/05/10)
    HMS Middleton (from 18/03/10)
    HMS Northumberland (from 05/05/10)
    HMS Monmouth (until 20/03/10)
    HMS Pembroke
    HMS Sceptre (until 14/03/10)
    HMS St Albans
    HMS Talent (from 03/03/10)

This free service won't have the level of insurance cover which is provided by some of Royal Mail's other services but going for a more expensive service will not speed up eventual delivery to the ship.

This is probably the best option!

Can he perform his duties without his glasses? If not, Greenie's suggestion may be an option - has he had pusser's glasses issued in the past? Definitely worth a try, chances are if he sees the POMA/LMA then the LO may task the ships agent in the next port of call to arrange for a test and the supply of a pair of glasses. The bill will most likely be picked up by the ship through the agent.

9. Similar happened to me in 91 in the gulf, next time we put into port (Dubai) I went to an opticians and had a new pair within 24 hours.

10. Concur.

Not really a medical issue, but it's one of those things that falls to us at sea.

Tell him to chat to the MO or MA and it will be sorted next time the Ship is alongside.

As a fellow glasses wearer, you can get semi-indestructible frames. I have a pair for field work. You can bend them a fair bit and they don't break. May be worth a look. Common issue for police.

Can't believe he called home before trying to sort the issue himself! Initiative and all that...

AD

11. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Edited for crapness.

12. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Might going into his optician and getting hold of a copy of his prescription help? It would save the need for testing and would require only that a new pair was made to be picked up.

13. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

The way I read the original question that was plan A.The only problem was what was the best way to get them to the end user.

14. Can't the Chippy and an ERA knock him a pair up, for the lenses you could grind down an empty Château Lafite bottle from the bunrun.

15. Sama, sama in the Far east 1964, survived on my gas mask glasses util Singapore, then had a pair made while I waited. Mammy and Daddy never heard of this.

16. I had no idea there was an opticians down the Bugisstrasse!

17. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

Dolland and Aitchison have the MOD contract.

Get your local branch to phone his current opticians for his prescription and they should be able to send it direct.

18. S/M Solution:

Permanent control room night watches in black lighting. (Plus extra carrots with the babies heads)

Specs? Who needs 'em anyway.... :wink:

PS - Hide the cheese-graters - because he could wear his fingers to the bone trying to read the 'braille'.

19. Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

How? Just because they hold the contract doesn't mean they have access to some form of super post system which the rest of us don't know about!

You can email a prescription but that depends on when the last eye test was done. It may be worthwhile getting re-tested if you're going to fork out for a new pair (and I suspect he will have to fund this himself). Cheaper than the UK though - I got a new set in Dubai in 2005 for £80. Very nice they were too.