Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asap

kenkim

Badgeman
My son is currently away on deployment and has broken the second of his two pairs of prescription glasses and wants us to send out some new ones to him asap.
What is the quickest way to get something like that to him?

Thanks

D

Deleted 7

kenkim said:
My son is currently away on deployment and has broken the second of his two pairs of prescription glasses and wants us to send out some new ones to him asap.

Thanks
Parcel - seriously, if his ship is at sea, they will not get post as regular as along side. So posting it to ge there faster, might not make a difference as the post could be sitting onland for a week, before getting to the ship.

I wouldn't waste money on courier, unless it's something you want to do.

kenkim

Badgeman
Re: Son on deployment needs prescription glasses from UK asa

StixJimboRM said:
There is only one way (AFAIK), the good old BFPO.
Not quite with you Stix. Can you elaborate please?

clanky

War Hero
Mail no longer gets the same priority it used to , thanks to email and paradigm cards. Depending where your son is deployed, he may not get mail again till his next port visit. That'll teach him to be a clumsy cnut!

Depending on where he is and his next port of call if he is known to need
glasses the RN usually does the biz and gets an optician /optometrist
to supply a new pair.
Tell him to see his medical department and let them worry.

G :fish:

D

Deleted 7

..........in the mean time, he can always use ducktape :wink:

Depending on where he is it might be quicker and cheaper for him to get a new pair made out there.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger

Don't be tempted to send them via Royal Mail special delivery to speed up delivery. This will only get them to Northolt by the guaranteed delivery time. Once at Northolt they will be at the mercy of whatever schedule is given to BFPO from the ship on their mail diversion signal.

If he is serving in one of the following ships you can send him a packet of up to 2Kg for free.

HMS Atherstone (until 05/05/10)
HMS Chatham
HMS Chiddingfold
HMS Grimsby
HMS Lancaster (until 10/05/10)
HMS Middleton (from 18/03/10)
HMS Northumberland (from 05/05/10)
HMS Monmouth (until 20/03/10)
HMS Pembroke
HMS Sceptre (until 14/03/10)
HMS St Albans
HMS Talent (from 03/03/10)

This free service won't have the level of insurance cover which is provided by some of Royal Mail's other services but going for a more expensive service will not speed up eventual delivery to the ship.

thehuntforredoctober said:
Depending on where he is it might be quicker and cheaper for him to get a new pair made out there.
This is probably the best option!

Greenie said:
Depending on where he is and his next port of call if he is known to need glasses the RN usually does the biz and gets an optician /optometrist to supply a new pair.
Tell him to see his medical department and let them worry.
Can he perform his duties without his glasses? If not, Greenie's suggestion may be an option - has he had pusser's glasses issued in the past? Definitely worth a try, chances are if he sees the POMA/LMA then the LO may task the ships agent in the next port of call to arrange for a test and the supply of a pair of glasses. The bill will most likely be picked up by the ship through the agent.

mikh

MIA
Similar happened to me in 91 in the gulf, next time we put into port (Dubai) I went to an opticians and had a new pair within 24 hours.

A

angrydoc

Concur.

Not really a medical issue, but it's one of those things that falls to us at sea.

Tell him to chat to the MO or MA and it will be sorted next time the Ship is alongside.

As a fellow glasses wearer, you can get semi-indestructible frames. I have a pair for field work. You can bend them a fair bit and they don't break. May be worth a look. Common issue for police.

Can't believe he called home before trying to sort the issue himself! Initiative and all that...

AD

lonestar

War Hero

Might going into his optician and getting hold of a copy of his prescription help? It would save the need for testing and would require only that a new pair was made to be picked up.

fishhead

War Hero

lonestar said:
Might going into his optician and getting hold of a copy of his prescription help? It would save the need for testing and would require only that a new pair was made to be picked up.
The way I read the original question that was plan A.The only problem was what was the best way to get them to the end user.

finknottle

Banned
Can't the Chippy and an ERA knock him a pair up, for the lenses you could grind down an empty Château Lafite bottle from the bunrun.

hnhnwilliam

Lantern Swinger
mikh said:
Similar happened to me in 91 in the gulf, next time we put into port (Dubai) I went to an opticians and had a new pair within 24 hours.
Sama, sama in the Far east 1964, survived on my gas mask glasses util Singapore, then had a pair made while I waited. Mammy and Daddy never heard of this.

finknottle

Banned
hnhnwilliam said:
mikh said:
Sama, sama in the Far east 1964, survived on my gas mask glasses util Singapore, then had a pair made while I waited. Mammy and Daddy never heard of this.
I had no idea there was an opticians down the Bugisstrasse!

Paddingtonbear

Lantern Swinger

Dolland and Aitchison have the MOD contract.

Get your local branch to phone his current opticians for his prescription and they should be able to send it direct.

kenkim said:

Thanks

S/M Solution:

Permanent control room night watches in black lighting. (Plus extra carrots with the babies heads)

Specs? Who needs 'em anyway.... :wink:

PS - Hide the cheese-graters - because he could wear his fingers to the bone trying to read the 'braille'.

A

angrydoc

Paddingtonbear said:
Dolland and Aitchison have the MOD contract.

Get your local branch to phone his current opticians for his prescription and they should be able to send it direct.
How? Just because they hold the contract doesn't mean they have access to some form of super post system which the rest of us don't know about!

You can email a prescription but that depends on when the last eye test was done. It may be worthwhile getting re-tested if you're going to fork out for a new pair (and I suspect he will have to fund this himself). Cheaper than the UK though - I got a new set in Dubai in 2005 for £80. Very nice they were too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Rotherham man who stabbed mother in front of young son jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Son of pharmacy owner sentenced for dealing wholesale medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mother banned for allowing disqualified son to run company MoD News 0
soleil Aberdeen Press & Journal: "Commemoration Arranged For Royal Marine Hero And His Son In Beauly" 26/01/20 The Corps 2
MoD_RSS Father and son cleaning company bosses disqualified for 18 years MoD News 0
B Son started at HMS Raleigh today Nearest & Dearest 0
MoD_RSS News story: Father and son dramaticaslly rescued from cliff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Mother and son restaurateurs banned for under-declaring tax MoD News 0
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5
K How do I post an item to my son at HMS Raleigh. Joining the Royal Navy 5
Trainer Euromillions Winner Does not have to subsidise ex Naval Officer Son Current Affairs 58
A No contact with son at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 133
S Anyone's son at Raleigh this week? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R Need some help for my son Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Z Son joining Hms Raleigh shortly Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 64
U My son just started raliegh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
F I'Ve got a son Diamond Lil's 2
N Step Son Applying For Weapons Engineer Role Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
K Son is joining in March 2014 Bases / Shore Est 2
H Son Failed RT Maths any Tutor experiances. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Unhappy son at Culdrose The Fleet Air Arm 128
K Getting pressy to son for xmas without him knowing The Quarterdeck 7
trelawney126 Hamas son get 11 years for heist. Diamond Lil's 18
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Gosport dad and son team up in warzone" Current Affairs 1
sgtpepperband Dad to walk 100 miles in memory of Marine son Charity 3
G Won a gong? Then get skating son. Diamond Lil's 36
P Hello everyone, my son is starting basic training. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Hermes_R12 SDSR: Sea Harrier - Sharkey Ward Speaks up for his son. Current Affairs 10
scouse Son of a very very famous FAA VC Recipient The Fleet Air Arm 0
dabbzie why do you want to be in the Navy son? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 70
soleil Times: Lottery winner's son (RM) to go to Helmand as planned The Corps 6
soleil "Hero Marine helps son enjoy Christmas" The Corps 2
T Every mum wants WAFOO for a son and SEAMAN for her daughter Diamond Lil's 4
Squirrel David Cameron's son dies Current Affairs 1
D Son has been backclassed at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
R Info required, son going for his Psychometric test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
NotmeChief Son of Norman - Nails the nobber. Diamond Lil's 6
B Mother Takes Son's Ashes To Court Current Affairs 5
T Son interested in joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
sgtpepperband Mum flies out to join son on front line The Corps 11
H Whale Wars son of Cod Wars ? Current Affairs 20
finknottle Fortunate Son The Corps 4
brazenhussy Son's note to his father. Diamond Lil's 5
ukdaytona Idi Armins Son Is Alive And Well In London The Quarterdeck 2
ukdaytona Councillor weds Bin Laden's son Current Affairs 10
slim Blair's second son to be a teacher in tough inner-city schoo Diamond Lil's 10
brazenhussy MUM LAUGHS AS SON, 13, SITS IN DOCK The Quarterdeck 5
slim Soldier son battles deportation Current Affairs 10
G 'Son' of Trident. Submariners 2
brazenhussy father and son Diamond Lil's 0