Son joining Hms Raleigh shortly

Zeb

Lantern Swinger
My son is joining Hms Raleigh on 20/9 does anyone have any advice on what to take that is not on the list? Items such as the laundry markers would one be enough or a couple of each? Assume you can easily buy extra toiletries there if you run out. Another question is what would you need the green cotton for?

I'd get an extra white laundry pen or silver sharpie, their is always someone who runs out. I used to send my son survival kits, chocolate, crisps sweets etc the unusual ones that they don't stock at the naffi made a killing bartering and selling these items. Seriously the list gives you a full list of what to have, once he's there anything can be brought or posted to them. Good luck to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeb

Lantern Swinger
Ha ha but what green things?
Thank you Jay Jay. Just need to complete the shopping. Apparently his iron was 'sick' lol

An iron. There's never one spare. I joined at 16 and asked for one for my 17th birthday. Sad but true!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
An iron. There's never one spare. I joined at 16 and asked for one for my 17th birthday. Sad but true!

Steam irons are actually on the list of things to take nowadays.

Trouble is, you'll always get someone who spends seventy-quid upwards on a Super-Duper turbo XLi GT youcan'tbendit steam iron, which they mistakenly think works better. It doesn't.

The statistical probability of a iron being accidentally knocked onto the floor and smashed is directly proportional to the cost. Twenty-five to thirty quid is about right.

Zeb

Lantern Swinger
Yes steam iron is on the list. We got one half price so was £35. Son was a bit gutted it didn't come with an automatic attachment to iron and fold to a4

The blue training manual I think. Issued on joining and ditched when finished training. I can't remember the official title. It was over 30 years ago!!

Sports shorts were just as bad. Really thick cotton that needed a steam hammer to get down to size.

12'' x 6'' white fronts , towels , undies , vests , 12'' x 9'' sport shorts , sport shirts (2)
No 8's shirt and trousers , 12'' x 15'' ovies , oilskin , burbury , fouly.
That was Raleigh '67.