Son joining Hms Raleigh shortly

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Zeb, Sep 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

My son is joining Hms Raleigh on 20/9 does anyone have any advice on what to take that is not on the list? Items such as the laundry markers would one be enough or a couple of each? Assume you can easily buy extra toiletries there if you run out. Another question is what would you need the green cotton for?
  2. Cotton buds to open his ears and a zip for his mouth :)

I believe the list is quite comprehensive?
  3. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Definitely needs a zip!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 1. Shop on the base, sells all essentials.
    2. Sewing green things
  5. I'd get an extra white laundry pen or silver sharpie, their is always someone who runs out. I used to send my son survival kits, chocolate, crisps sweets etc the unusual ones that they don't stock at the naffi made a killing bartering and selling these items. Seriously the list gives you a full list of what to have, once he's there anything can be brought or posted to them. Good luck to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Ha ha but what green things?
    Thank you Jay Jay. Just need to complete the shopping. Apparently his iron was 'sick' lol
  7. That's handy, he'll be sick of ironing by week 10 ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. An iron. There's never one spare. I joined at 16 and asked for one for my 17th birthday. Sad but true!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Steam irons are actually on the list of things to take nowadays.

Trouble is, you'll always get someone who spends seventy-quid upwards on a Super-Duper turbo XLi GT youcan'tbendit steam iron, which they mistakenly think works better. It doesn't.

The statistical probability of a iron being accidentally knocked onto the floor and smashed is directly proportional to the cost. Twenty-five to thirty quid is about right.
  10. Zeb

Zeb Badgeman

Yes steam iron is on the list. We got one half price so was £35. Son was a bit gutted it didn't come with an automatic attachment to iron and fold to a4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. A4? Booksize used to be smaller than that. Getting overalls to that size was nigh on impossible!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Its been A4 for a while , I thought they might have upped it to A3 by now :)
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Serious question - in the pre A4 days, ie Paybook, what did we use to measure the piles of clothing?
  14. The blue training manual I think. Issued on joining and ditched when finished training. I can't remember the official title. It was over 30 years ago!!

15. One of these:

(Image found on t'internet)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Yes but paperback by 79

17. Indeed they were. I would have photographed my copy, (which was published in '73 I think), but it's buried in the house somewhere and I couldn't be arsed digging it up :p
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Try an oilskin!
  19. Sports shorts were just as bad. Really thick cotton that needed a steam hammer to get down to size.

20. 12'' x 6'' white fronts , towels , undies , vests , 12'' x 9'' sport shorts , sport shirts (2)
    No 8's shirt and trousers , 12'' x 15'' ovies , oilskin , burbury , fouly.
    That was Raleigh '67.